Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Okay. Have had a Sam's membership for years. Presently shop at the Pineville location. Can someone tell me about Costco and what the differences are b/n the two stores? Also, is Costco membership more expensive?

The things I purchase at Sam's are some bulk items such as eggs, butter, cheese, sour cream, coffee, etc. Some household cleaning items. Once in a while - a book or some clothing. I am told Sam's return policy on electronics is better than anyone else's.

What would I find at Costco that I won't find at Sam's? Is the quality different? Are there different product lines (i.e., more outdoor items, better deli, etc).

I hesitate jumping in there w/ Costco when it really does take a lot of purchases to break even w/ the membership cost. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-13-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomayula View Post
Moderator cut: the referring post has been edited

To the OP, I have a BJ's membership but when my membership is up in a couple of months, I'm going to switch to Costco's. I think Sam's and Costco's are slightly better than BJ's....between costco and sam's I think their the same, imo

hope this helps

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-13-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,859 times
I have to say look at what you buy.Both warehouse can offer things that are better price than the other.See which one is more convenient for you.See which one have better selections or better prices for what you normally buy.I myself boycott wally world.I will not renew my membership.Is one better than the other maybe not.Every one have their reason which one is better.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
Default back on track...

I haven't been to the sams club here but in TX it wasn't anything special. I go to Costco and I love it there. Sure, some things are more expensive. We don't buy those things. A lot of things, especially the costco brand items are much cheaper. The membership fee is $50 a year, and while your there can fill up your gas tank for a few cents cheaper then average. I haven't been to BJ's yet to compare, but right now they are offering a 60 day free trial membership.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 PM

379 posts, read 644,762 times
Ani - Check out costco.com to see some of their merchandise. I like their stuff better but I hate their locations! Sams and BJ's are just much closer for me.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Smile Back on track!

Okay . . . thank you to those who were actually attempting to answer my question.

I have heard Costco carries things that Sam's doesn't. Here are some of the things I have heard mentioned: More furniture and home accessories; very upscale women's jeans; lots of electronics

Does Costco carry the same type of variety of groceries as Sam's? Do they have an extensive frozen section? What types of things? Like pre-packaged foods or more like appetizers? Full entrees? Frozen veggies?

Any of your favorites at Costco . . . I would love to hear about them. Anything you have found at Costco that you have not seen at Sam's - I would like to know. I am trying to decide whether to get a membership.

Someone mentioned a free "walk-through." I am not inclined to do that as I would feel I had wasted my time and effort. If I bother to go, I wanna buy!!!! So that is why I am asking you all for your opinions.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Ani - Check out costco.com to see some of their merchandise. I like their stuff better but I hate their locations! Sams and BJ's are just much closer for me.
Good idea. Sam's is soooo convenient for us, too. We usually go twice a month. We read an article about their brand of coffee - that it rated higher (Consumer Reports) than even the big name brands like Starbucks and Gevalia for blind taste tests. So we started using it after we read that report. They have several varieties and we are totally hooked on their coffee. Best price in town. And we like our coffee around here!!!!!

And some things like my olive oil for cooking. Sam's prices beat everyone else's. I am a big grocery shopper. I guess it is sort of a hobby (I know - sounds boring - but have been doing it for decades and make a game out of it - comparing prices, buying stuff on sale, mark-downs, etc). I like to stock up my pantry and freezer. I keep a lot of stuff stocked ahead by buying on sale and we estimate we save around $2000/year the way we do things. I love to cook so this is not for everyone, of course.

Also, I do buy some things in bulk. However, we are very careful as we have noticed some things are NOT cheaper at Sam's (or even WalMart, for that matter). However, stuff like decongestants, eye drops, etc. always are cheaper at WalMart than anywhere else. Also we are big into the sales items at CVS. We also shop bargains at Food Lion. Have been stopping in at Trader Joe's, too. My main grocery store is Harris Teeter.

So I am not looking to buy all my groceries . . . but I do buy in bulk on items I use regularly (canned tomatoes, ripe olives, tortilla chips).

I also have gotten Jones New York at Sam's for unreal prices. Jeans for $15.99. So I was just wondering what goes on at Costco that I am missing and what others go there specifically to buy.

I will get online and check that out, too! Thanks for all info - it gives me ideas when I hear what others buy. For ex., one of my friends bought bar stools at Costco. I would never have thought of them for an item like that.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good idea. Sam's is soooo convenient for us, too. We usually go twice a month. We read an article about their brand of coffee - that it rated higher (Consumer Reports) than even the big name brands like Starbucks and Gevalia for blind taste tests. So we started using it after we read that report. They have several varieties and we are totally hooked on their coffee. Best price in town. And we like our coffee around here!!!!!

And some things like my olive oil for cooking. Sam's prices beat everyone else's. I am a big grocery shopper. I guess it is sort of a hobby (I know - sounds boring - but have been doing it for decades and make a game out of it - comparing prices, buying stuff on sale, mark-downs, etc). I like to stock up my pantry and freezer. I keep a lot of stuff stocked ahead by buying on sale and we estimate we save around $2000/year the way we do things. I love to cook so this is not for everyone, of course.

Also, I do buy some things in bulk. However, we are very careful as we have noticed some things are NOT cheaper at Sam's (or even WalMart, for that matter). However, stuff like decongestants, eye drops, etc. always are cheaper at WalMart than anywhere else. Also we are big into the sales items at CVS. We also shop bargains at Food Lion. Have been stopping in at Trader Joe's, too. My main grocery store is Harris Teeter.

So I am not looking to buy all my groceries . . . but I do buy in bulk on items I use regularly (canned tomatoes, ripe olives, tortilla chips).

I also have gotten Jones New York at Sam's for unreal prices. Jeans for $15.99. So I was just wondering what goes on at Costco that I am missing and what others go there specifically to buy.

I will get online and check that out, too! Thanks for all info - it gives me ideas when I hear what others buy. For ex., one of my friends bought bar stools at Costco. I would never have thought of them for an item like that.
I usually just do food shopping/supplies at Costco but I know that their electronics selection is huge. I really like their frozen selections, cranberry juice prices, bott. water prices, and their premade dinners look great too. I save a ton buying soy milk there and odds and ends like big boxes of mac and cheese for the kids.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I usually just do food shopping/supplies at Costco but I know that their electronics selection is huge. I really like their frozen selections, cranberry juice prices, bott. water prices, and their premade dinners look great too. I save a ton buying soy milk there and odds and ends like big boxes of mac and cheese for the kids.
Thanx, NKJ! That really helps. That is the type of info I am looking for!!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times
Thanks, Sunny, for re-opening this post. I think there are some important remarks to be made about Sam's and Costco. I for one like the variety of meats and seafood that they carry at Costco. Their frozen dinners are also very good - many of gourmet quality. My husband prefers BJ's - he does the shopping - and says that in the past year they have improved the quality and variety of their food tremendously. I have always argued that Costco does better with upper end cheeses, but he disagrees. But then what can you expect from a man who doesn't like 85% fat brie? Mainly, I firmly support the way Costco treats their employees - health insurance for all and (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, stock options).

Costco seems to me to have a greater variety too. I'd try the walk-through pass if I were you, Ani. I also buy Jones of NY, DKNY and Diane V.F at BJ's. I think there are some things that all of these places carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte