Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Chuckles...as far as the wild wild west goes, well it's more the wild west since just about everyone has a gun and we aren't afraid to use them, and criminals know this.
We have several guns as well and not afraid to pull the trigger.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Personally, I would look north of the city... specifically areas outside the charlotte city limits like huntersville. Most consider Ballantyne the heart of south charlotte and it is really nice but has had a lot of crime recently.

If you ask me, its the proximity to bad areas that is the problem. You are always 10 minutes from a bad area imo. For instance, with all my research I was told SW charlotte (specifically Steele creek) was very desireable.... however now that I'm here I realize that there are areas I consider high risk with 5 minutes although they are not "considered" steele creek.

For the first time in my life I have been within 5 minutes of what I consider an urban gun fight. There was a shootout at south tryon and arrowood in which at least 12 shots were fired in the middle of traffic. What really opened my eyes is that I drove through that intersection 15 minutes prior to the incident that left a multiple car accident, an injured 2 year old and bullet ridden cars. This intersection was an exit of a shopping center that includes a walmart, bi-low, lowes and many other shops.

I liked Huntersville, although I never let me guard down. I worked in the Steele Creek area for a little while and it wouldn't be on my list for a permanent residence.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:05 PM

56 posts, read 238,737 times
We are moving from Seattle where is so low that you don't even consider it. I am very alarmed and confused as we were looking at South Area in the upper 300 and 400s range for home price. I thoguth that would buy safety in a well policed area. Is that not so? Where is good and not so good to live? My husband's job is near the 485 & 77 interchange. Arrowhead Rd?? WE'd like to live a reasonable drive time. These report on bad crime have really made us second guess our decision to move to Charlotte.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
We are moving from Seattle where is so low that you don't even consider it. I am very alarmed and confused as we were looking at South Area in the upper 300 and 400s range for home price. I thoguth that would buy safety in a well policed area. Is that not so? Where is good and not so good to live? My husband's job is near the 485 & 77 interchange. Arrowhead Rd?? WE'd like to live a reasonable drive time. These report on bad crime have really made us second guess our decision to move to Charlotte.
hys·ter·i·a (h-str-, -stîr-)
n.
1. Behavior exhibiting excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear or panic.

South Charlotte is VERY safe and there is no need to worry. Ballantyne is an excellent place to live. While there has been a slight increase in random crime lately, it is no reason to second guess your move.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
n.
1. Behavior exhibiting excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear or panic.

South Charlotte is VERY safe and there is no need to worry. Ballantyne is an excellent place to live. While there has been a slight increase in random crime lately, it is no reason to second guess your move.
I wouldn't call it hysteria by any means. Do you live in Southwest charlotte? I mention SW Charlotte because that is the where 485/77 intersection is. I do and while most consider it reasonably safe we still know there are certain areas that are not particularly safe especially at night.

The shooting I referenced previously was actually right near where Seattlemom's husband will be working... it was at arrowood and 49/S Tryon about 1/2 mile north of the 485 exit. Now while this type of crime is certainly not typical for the area, I was shocked to see the report that stated at least 12 shots fired.

Now Ballantyne on the other hand is pretty safe and desireable. There has been a large increase in property crime there but that is no different than what is happening in the northern side of the city... in fact I was reading how they think the crimes are related in both sides of the city.

I would definitely recommend living a safe distance from the arrowood/485 intersection... there are parts of arrowood and most of nationsford that I wouldn't live anywhere near. If I could get a do-over on where I selected to live, I would choose either Union county or ft.mill/tega cay. Especially since there schools are sooo much better than CMS.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default S CLT very safe

Think of it this way. If you are in Seattle, and your news reported every car break-in, mugging, etc. in say - Olympia, Turnwater, Lacey, etc and . . . that is what it is like here. We are talking a 60 mile radius w/ the crime discussions.

So here, being in Seattle is like being in Mooresville . . . and hearing stuff about Ballantyne and Lake Wylie is like news from Olympia.

The last time I was in Seattle, DH and I were scared out of our wits b/c of a shooting near our upscale downtown hotel. Trust me. Nothing is going on here in CLT any worse than there in Seattle and the burbs.

Ballantyne is a wonderful, upscale area. Houses that would cost you over $1M in Seattle area are $500,000 here.

Crime can happen anywhere. I agree - there have been some odd things lately . . . and I certainly pay attention . . . but I have not encountered anything threatening here, either.

The cost of living is good here and we get about 250 more days of sunshine than Seattle. This is not some crime infested, lawless hood. Please do not let the forum discussion about crime make you feel this is a horrible place to live. There sure as heck are places around Seattle I would not want to be . . . and I am sure you don't hang out there, either. All cities are like that.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM

182 posts, read 554,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
n.

LOL, that is exactally what I was doing, "second guessing my move".

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I wouldn't call it hysteria by any means. Do you live in Southwest charlotte? I mention SW Charlotte because that is the where 485/77 intersection is. I do and while most consider it reasonably safe we still know there are certain areas that are not particularly safe especially at night.

The shooting I referenced previously was actually right near where Seattlemom's husband will be working... it was at arrowood and 49/S Tryon about 1/2 mile north of the 485 exit. Now while this type of crime is certainly not typical for the area, I was shocked to see the report that stated at least 12 shots fired.

Now Ballantyne on the other hand is pretty safe and desireable. There has been a large increase in property crime there but that is no different than what is happening in the northern side of the city... in fact I was reading how they think the crimes are related in both sides of the city.

I would definitely recommend living a safe distance from the arrowood/485 intersection... there are parts of arrowood and most of nationsford that I wouldn't live anywhere near. If I could get a do-over on where I selected to live, I would choose either Union county or ft.mill/tega cay. Especially since there schools are sooo much better than CMS.
Is Ballantyne the only place to move in Charlotte??? Is the crime in Charlotte random, or is it becoming a everyday occurance?
I live in Palm Beach County, and crime is getting out of hand here, but I haven't had anything that has affected me *****'. Yes, it was an incident in my neighborhood (that is being revitalized) that would be enough to scare anyone (and believe me we were ready to pack and move that night) BUT nothing has happened since. Well nothing that should be on the news. So I guess the hysteria is in the eye of the beholder. To the person who have lived in Charlotte and know it's ins & outs, it's just the norm. But an outsider like me, the picture is very scary.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
LOL, that is exactally what I was doing, "second guessing my move".

Is Ballantyne the only place to move in Charlotte??? Is the crime in Charlotte random, or is it becoming a everyday occurance?
I live in Palm Beach County, and crime is getting out of hand here, but I haven't had anything that has affected me *****'. Yes, it was an incident in my neighborhood (that is being revitalized) that would be enough to scare anyone (and believe me we were ready to pack and move that night) BUT nothing has happened since. Well nothing that should be on the news. So I guess the hysteria is in the eye of the beholder. To the person who have lived in Charlotte and know it's ins & outs, it's just the norm. But an outsider like me, the picture is very scary.
True, although I have lived here a year and a half now and it is hard to know the places you can't go and the places you can. Or to be more specific, the places to go that you are less likely to be a victim of crime. If I were you, I would pick to move outside the city limits, or in SC which borders S.W. Charlotte.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM

379 posts, read 644,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
Seattle....Charlotte....husband working at Arrowood and 77? Lemme guess...Microsoft? We live in the area you are looking at (as do many other msft employees, if that is infact where your dh works). Yeah, crime is on the upswing lately. Our crime problems in the past 6 months- high school kids breaking into the pool, high school kids breaking into/stealing cars, high school kids stealing beer out of garages, and high school kids "attempting" to break into homes.
There was a recent situation, not too far from here, where a man was shot in an attempted kidnapping. The police say it was an "isolated incident". The police say there has been "no increase in crime" in Union County.

I feel bad for anyone breaking into my house. They will never figure out how to get back out. Only our baby knows how to work the "baby proof" door knobs. Anyone over 5 yrs old get stuck.

Good luck in your search!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Seattle....Charlotte....husband working at Arrowood and 77? Lemme guess...Microsoft? We live in the area you are looking at (as do many other msft employees, if that is infact where your dh works). Yeah, crime is on the upswing lately. Our crime problems in the past 6 months- high school kids breaking into the pool, high school kids breaking into/stealing cars, high school kids stealing beer out of garages, and high school kids "attempting" to break into homes.
There was a recent situation, not too far from here, where a man was shot in an attempted kidnapping. The police say it was an "isolated incident". The police say there has been "no increase in crime" in Union County.
Good luck in your search!
Hmmm, I have heard a lot of talk about police and other people calling it high school kid crimes so as to not alarm others. People seem to feel it's less serious when it's just a bunch of silly high schoolers then if it were actually some criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte