Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM

79 posts, read 409,180 times

Advertisements

Are all of Charlotte's tall buildings located in uptown? Is Southpark area developing like Buckhead in Atlanta or Galleria area in Houston with its own skyline, or is Southpark mainly just a nice residential neighborhood with a nice mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

252 posts, read 879,383 times
All the high rise building are currently being built in uptown Charlotte. . There is one building (called the Pink Building) near Dilworth. Outrside of uptown there is only mid-rise buildings about 10 stories or less. Southpark will only have a nice mall and very nice residential single family and condos (usually 5 or 6 stories..)

Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought, but with all of Charlotte's growth it's surprising it doesn't at least have edge city like office parks. On one hand, I guess Charlotte is growing in an anti-sprawl fashion, which is good. But on the other hand, I like when cities have multiple skylines.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
it is cheaper to build out then up

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1984 View Post
...On one hand, I guess Charlotte is growing in an anti-sprawl fashion, which is good. But on the other hand, I like when cities have multiple skylines.
Yes, I guarantee you the powers that be in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc., would love to take all those "mini skylines" and put them in their central business district. But Charlotte does have second skylines of sorts springing up out in Ballantyne and SouthPark. Also the area over by the old coliseum, near the airport. The buildings aren't that tall, but in a few years, those areas will each fill out a little more to kind of get that look you're referencing.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Yes, I guarantee you the powers that be in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc., would love to take all those "mini skylines" and put them in their central business district.
I don't know about that. These cities probably would like to contain their sprawl, but at the same time I think they probably like having multiple urban centers each developing a different character. New York city is no different with downtown and midtown Manhattan, or L.A. with downtown, Century City, etc. And the thing is they're really not even "mini skylines" but decent skylines that would rival many medium sized cities.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that. These cities probably would like to contain their sprawl, but at the same time I think they probably like having multiple urban centers each developing a different character. New York city is no different with downtown and midtown Manhattan, or L.A. with downtown, Century City, etc. And the thing is they're really not even "mini skylines" but decent skylines that would rival many medium sized cities.
Well New York and very urban cities of that such are a different animal all together. So I think that's a bad comparison.

But regarding Southern, less dense cities, putting highrise buildings in the suburbs only makes sprawl issues worse. Further, what's really bad, is when you have these "mini skylines" falling outside the principal municipality of the region. I have no doubt the "city" of Atlanta would love to take in all those taxes currently going to places like Cobb county. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Cobb county is building a new performing arts center that will house the Atlanta symphony. Also Gwinnet County, which is about to undergo a huge highrise boom has lured away the city's arena football team. I'm certain neither would have happend had those areas not grown into such huge commerical centers. I don't think there's much the city of Atlanta could have done to prevent this, but the point is simply that in the end, having an alternative to "downtown Atlanta" has obviously hurt that city in some ways.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:03 PM

I do agree that it's unfortunate when cultural attractions move away from the center of the city. In the case of Atlanta, the opera moved not the symphony. A new symphony center is planned for midtown. But it's a definite loss to lose the opera to the suburbs. I wasn't aware of a huge highrise boom planned for Gwinnett.

However, using the Atlanta example, take Buckhead for instance. Both downtown/midtown and Buckhead are in the city limits. Neither seem to really compete with each other. And each area has its own impressive growing skyline.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
However, using the Atlanta example, take Buckhead for instance. Both downtown/midtown and Buckhead are in the city limits. Neither seem to really compete with each other. And each area has its own impressive growing skyline.
Actually they do compete with each other, very much so. The growth of Midtown and Buckhead definitely stifled the growth of downtown Atlanta. In fact, after the decline of Underground Atlanta, didn’t the city try to enact some type of open container law to try and get more clubs and restaurants to re-locate there? And with Atlantic Station so close in Midtown, I doubt you’ll see significant retail such as a department store, return to downtown Atlanta in our lifetimes.

As for Charlotte, we do have a very small version of Buckhead; it’s called the SouthPark area; which I mentioned earlier. There you will find the tallest buildings outside of Uptown. However, until Charlotte grows considerably more in size, I don’t see any area outside of Uptown with a significant skyline of its own anytime soon.

Here are a few pictures of SouthPark from the web…
Photo of 6000 Fairview: Looking northeast from J.A. Jones Drive

Photo of 6100 Fairview: Back view from a parking deck

Photo of Piedmont Town Center Tower II: Looking northeast across Fairview Road

Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
And many more buildings (highrises) are either under construction Uptown or in the planning stages. There are approximately 20 highrises (several residential) planned or being built with in the next couple of years.

Charlotte is booming! and I am glad to see so much residential construction Uptown. Will only bring more and more conveniences to people who live Uptown. Sad thing is that they do not build very much affordable real estate Uptown to reach a wider range of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte