Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:03 AM

161 posts, read 194,542 times

Advertisements

I saw a new business incorporaed listing in the UC Weekly and thought is was strange. Didn't really give it much thought. I guess some other folks did. She has had a business name EDUCATRX in Deleware since April of 2014. Mike Webb (deputy superintendent), Tony Burrus (chief technology officer UCPS) and a guy named Jason Mooneyham are listed as the executive committee. Jason Mooneyham also happens to be the VP of sales for Lenovo, the company who UCPS buys all their laptops from. Checked my kids chrome books. Sure enough the Lenovo label is there. I don't know who all knew about this, or who approved it but it reeks of ethical violations and conflict of interest. I sure hope it's investigated and resolved quickly. I never liked or trusted her or Webb.

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/For...81b0b17e41d2bc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Lenovo makes a great computer. I'm not sure corruption is clear or that the RFP they won wasn't done so fairly. What alternatives do you think would have been better? How much tax $ was paid for the Chromebooks?

Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 AM

I have no issue with Lenovo as a company or product. What I take issue with is the superintendent setting up personal corporations with employees and individuals that the schools have multi million dollar contracts with and this not being disclosed to the public. Who knew about this? Is this in violation of her contract? Trying to track down a copy of her new contract online. They need to have a darn good justification for all of this.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Lenovo makes a great computer. I'm not sure corruption is clear or that the RFP they won wasn't done so fairly. What alternatives do you think would have been better? How much tax $ was paid for the Chromebooks?
If you have ever used in a classroom setting, you would have a vastly different opinion.

They are junk, and I have often wondered how they sell so many to schools.

In particularly, battery catch is pitiful, and keys fall off like leaves in the fall.

Our Dells have issues, too, but they are head and shoulders above.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:24 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Started hearing about this on Facebook so I'm sure you didn't just stumble on it. Someone must have given Maher a junior detective kit. The echo chamber has already analyzed all the evidence (that'd be names and company filings) and found the parties guilty. Of what, I don't think they have a clue. But we're used to that.

I am curious to find out what Edutrax (sp?) is. Consulting? Retirement options for them? That will be interesting. The Lenovo agreement was created a few years ago correct? Did it go through a bid process? Was this just a normal purchase under an already agreed upon contract?

I'll wait for more facts to come out.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Started hearing about this on Facebook so I'm sure you didn't just stumble on it.
If you will read my original post I said I saw her business posted in the paper and didn't give it much thought. But some other folks did. Yes I saw it on Facebook and have heard through other sources within the county. I work in an industry that is closely connected to Union County and we hear a lot. Sometimes too much especially about UCPS. Next time instead of rushing to make negative comments why don't you read the post first? Just a thought.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,882 times
The Chromebooks are a waste of money. How many businesses use Chrome as their operating system? The books fall apart easily - keys fall off, batteries fall out and pins are bent, screens go blank, the wi-fi loses connectivity all the time.

As far as the reports of Educatrx - it is extremely unethical for a superintendent to enter into a business with a man who is also working for a corporation who is making MILLIONS from the school system who the superintendent works for.

Residents of Union County are so clueless as to the amount of unethical behavior that has been occurring at UCPS for decades.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,882 times
There are 4 things that UCPS cares about:

1. Test scores
2. Graduation rates
3. Leading the field in technology
4. Not getting sued

And guess what? They will put ALL 4 of these ABOVE THE EDUCATION OF YOUR CHILDREN.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:52 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Yes this is all over FB

Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing much of what Maher and his crew protest without waiting for the other side. People seemed to only have an issue with UC schools when their kids were redistricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Started hearing about this on Facebook so I'm sure you didn't just stumble on it. Someone must have given Maher a junior detective kit. The echo chamber has already analyzed all the evidence (that'd be names and company filings) and found the parties guilty. Of what, I don't think they have a clue. But we're used to that.

I am curious to find out what Edutrax (sp?) is. Consulting? Retirement options for them? That will be interesting. The Lenovo agreement was created a few years ago correct? Did it go through a bid process? Was this just a normal purchase under an already agreed upon contract?

I'll wait for more facts to come out.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Yes this is all over FB

Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing much of what Maher and his crew protest without waiting for the other side. People seemed to only have an issue with UC schools when their kids were redistricted.
I don't follow your logic, what is being stated is FACT, not opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte