Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Where do you go for any of the listed above for your weekend or day trip getaways

For tubing I have been on Davidson River near Brevard NC and it was fun and right beside our campground.

I think this was the start of my love of leisure kayaking.

Another fun place is at the head waters of the French Broad River.
I kayak at this spot near Roseman NC and all I used the paddles only for steering it was a smooth relaxing ride.

Here are some pictures of my kayak trip the water a little murky due to a thunderstorm just went thru (on water during a thunderstorm Yeah I was scared)
Photos of kayaking French Broad River head waters

Kayaking around Pea Island on Pamilico Sound was a blast nothing like it.

For afternoon relaxation I go here to Mountain Island Lake it very light in boat traffic and area I go around the lake is too shallow for boats. The Osprey's are fun to watch.

I know someone mention in another thread Nathalia river im curious what this river is like does it stay one class of rapids to a certain point? I would like to lieisure kayak and white water raft that river if they have class 3 or 4 rapids.

I have not been to Whitewater Center yet I wanted them to get the first year kinks work out.

The New River the part in West Virginia by the New River Gorge is a great Whitewater Ride. This river starts in North Carolina and flows into Ohio River. I now want to see its head waters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Where do you go for any of the listed above for your weekend or day trip getaways

For tubing I have been on Davidson River near Brevard NC and it was fun and right beside our campground.

I think this was the start of my love of leisure kayaking.

Another fun place is at the head waters of the French Broad River.
I kayak at this spot near Roseman NC and all I used the paddles only for steering it was a smooth relaxing ride.

Here are some pictures of my kayak trip the water a little murky due to a thunderstorm just went thru (on water during a thunderstorm Yeah I was scared)
Photos of kayaking French Broad River head waters

Kayaking around Pea Island on Pamilico Sound was a blast nothing like it.

For afternoon relaxation I go here to Mountain Island Lake it very light in boat traffic and area I go around the lake is too shallow for boats. The Osprey's are fun to watch.

I know someone mention in another thread Nathalia river im curious what this river is like does it stay one class of rapids to a certain point? I would like to lieisure kayak and white water raft that river if they have class 3 or 4 rapids.

I have not been to Whitewater Center yet I wanted them to get the first year kinks work out.

The New River the part in West Virginia by the New River Gorge is a great Whitewater Ride. This river starts in North Carolina and flows into Ohio River. I now want to see its head waters
The US Whitewater Center is very nice. Have been several times. They also have rock climbing for kids and adults, walking paths & bike trails.

Have not been on the water yet though.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times
Looks nice. How far from Charlotte are these places?

I always laugh when people say Charlotte is great because you have the moutains and ocean both 2-3 hours away.

For anyone who has grown up in the mountains or by the ocean it sucks that they are so far way and is not a selling point for Charlotte. I grew up in the moutains of New Hampshire and was only 45 minutes from the ocean : )

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Looks nice. How far from Charlotte are these places?

I always laugh when people say Charlotte is great because you have the moutains and ocean both 2-3 hours away.

For anyone who has grown up in the mountains or by the ocean it sucks that they are so far way and is not a selling point for Charlotte. I grew up in the moutains of New Hampshire and was only 45 minutes from the ocean : )
Mountain Island Lake is an area of Charlotte about 15 minutes NORTHWEST of Uptown up Highway 16.

The US Whitewater Center is in WEST Charlotte off of Moores Chapel Rd off of I-485 or off of Sam Wilson Rd off of I-85.

The state is wide so you can not live close to the beach & mountains. We are centrally located. 1 1/2 hrs to the mountains and 3 1/2 hrs to the beach.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
My favorite spots:

New River State Park, Ashe Co (Jefferson, NC) - kayak and canoe

Moses Cone Memorial Park - canoe, trout fishing, walking, bird watching

Grandfather Mountain area - hiking, bird watching

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My favorite spots:

LOVE all 3 of those spots. My cousin lived for years in Banner Elk, right in the heart of the village. Went hiking & skiing alot.

LOVE the NC High COuntry!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
LOVE all 3 of those spots. My cousin lived for years in Banner Elk, right in the heart of the village. Went hiking & skiing alot.

LOVE the NC High COuntry!
Me, too! In fact, my whole family does! LOVE THE HIGH COUNTRY!!

High five, 7 oh 4!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
My favorite spots:

TOTALLY agree about New River State Park - AWESOME place.

As far as Grandfather Mountain goes, the best trails are actually the ones a lot of people never try - the backside trails you enter from the Parkway

Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Me, too! In fact, my whole family does! LOVE THE HIGH COUNTRY!!

High five, 7 oh 4!!!!
We use to go up there just for the day many times to escape the heat from the lowlands here. It would be 90 here and 75 in Banner Elk. Could hike all day in the shade and never break a sweat! LOVE IT!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
TOTALLY agree about New River State Park - AWESOME place.

As far as Grandfather Mountain goes, the best trails are actually the ones a lot of people never try - the backside trails you enter from the Parkway
Loves, aren't you the SLY ONE!!! You discovered the "other trails."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte