Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Yes it is sad but it's part of the pie with economic development, which is exactly what will bring to this part of Providence Road. And it's not just poor people that will need to find other places to live, but also drug dealers and other criminals. This area has needed a face lift for quite some time. East Charlotte should take a page out of this book and consider doing the same thing in many of their dilapidated areas. As far as subsidized housing is concerned, the government can be blamed. The worst thing this government has ever done is create the welfare system. It creates an endless cycle of total dependence on GovCo which will most always result in endless poverty.
I also blame developers & greed. Not everyone that lives in public housing is a drug dealer or criminal. What about the good christian law abiding poor people. Does anyone care what happens to them?

I feel guilty with what I have. I am truely BLESSED and thank GOD everyday for what I have. I use to volunteer every wednesday feeding inner city kids dinner that would not otherwise have food to eat. It use to break my heart but I felt good doing it. I have never been hungry. Most people do not care about the poor. They are all wrapped up in keeping up with the Jones's.

How mant people in Ballantyne or Piper Glen have volunteered in the ghetto?...not very many I am sure!

As long as these greedy developers can sleep at night...that is on them.

Where do you suggest these poor people should go? Is there a solution. Even they don't know where they will be living...VERY SAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I also blame developers & greed. Not everyone that lives in public housing is a drug dealer or criminal. What about the good christian law abiding poor people. Does anyone care what happens to them?

I feel guilty with what I have. I am truely BLESSED and thank GOD everyday for what I have. I use to volunteer every wednesday feeding inner city kids dinner that would not otherwise have food to eat. It use to break my heart but I felt good doing it. I have never been hungry. Most people do not care about the poor. They are all wrapped up in keeping up with the Jones's.

How mant people in Ballantyne or Piper Glen have volunteered in the ghetto?...not very many I am sure!

As long as these greedy developers can sleep at night...that is on them.
I'm right there with you about volunteering, and I didn't say all poor people are criminals. I said poor people and criminals. It doesn't change the fact that the government has created a situation to keep these people poor.

Moreover, you can't blame it all on greedy evil developers. It couldn't be done if the city didn't give the approval through rezoning procedures. And why would the city approve? Because it creates economic growth which means more tax revenue. And who knows, it may improve living conditions for some of these people as they relocate to other homes within their means that could likely be better quality. It's something like this that could give them incentive to make changes for the better.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Wanted to add that only a portion of that area is section 8. The rest is just low income housing, a run down Exxon, a beat up shopping center, and trashy townhomes and apartments. So the majority of the cleanup will not be kicking government dependents out. Would you at least agree that cleaning up the rest of the area is a good thing?

One more thing--how do you think you got the opportunity to live in such a vibrant, thriving, safe, and ritzy uptown? Because of "greedy" developers and "evil" city planners who had a vision that couldn't be realized until poor people had to go. It's just the way it is I'm afraid.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Wanted to add that only a portion of that area is section 8. The rest is just low income housing, a run down Exxon, a beat up shopping center, and trashy townhomes and apartments. So the majority of the cleanup will not be kicking government dependents out. Would you at least agree that cleaning up the rest of the area is a good thing?

One more thing--how do you think you got the opportunity to live in such a vibrant, thriving, safe, and ritzy uptown? Because of "greedy" developers and "evil" city planners who had a vision that couldn't be realized until poor people had to go. It's just the way it is I'm afraid.
I agree with you totally. I am all for cleaning up an area. I guess there is just NO fair way to do it! It is a double edged sword!

I just have no idea where these people will go.

If you really think about it...Uptown has priced all the middle class & poor out of the Uptown area. They do not want to build anything for the middle class Uptown. That is WRONG too!

We got Uptown in 2001. Right time...right price...but I am sure they forced the poor out of the I-277 Loop. Really makes me sad to think about it that way now!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I agree with you totally. I am all for cleaning up an area. I guess there is just NO fair way to do it! It is a double edged sword!

I just have no idea where these people will go.

If you really think about it...Uptown has priced all the middle class & poor out of the Uptown area. They do not want to build anything for the middle class Uptown. That is WRONG too!

We got Uptown in 2001. Right time...right price...but I am sure they forced the poor out of the I-277 Loop. Really makes me sad to think about it that way now!
Well we're middle class and could afford downtown if we wanted to be crammed into 1200sqft. Plus we've got two big dogs and a cat that also make impractical. But nevertheless, it boils down to supply and demand. Capitalism is what makes this country so great (well, at least it's one of the few things that still gives this country hope). If you build it, and build it right, they will come and keep coming. Why build for the Have-nots when you can build for the Haves? It's pure Economics 101.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,099 times
Jersey Girl,
I heard this same rumor over a year ago from the clerk at the old Eckerd that used to be in the HT sqaure. He said the place was going to be leveled and I have been waiting for some news.... I hope it's true because it would really be an improvement for one of the best area's of town. I noticed recently that CB Richard real estate posted a new sign for the HT Square and it looks like they are trying to lease it so I dont know if this contradicts the rumor. It seems to me the property is to run down and a tear down would make the most sense. I hope it gets torn down and re-develped like Philips Place, that would be awesome!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,401 times
I meant to post a response in this thread yesterday but have been very busy.

When I was very young we had some troubled times and had to move in an apartment. Providence Square was where we ended up because of the location and we could rent a large townhome that a single mother with 3 kids could afford. Luckily, my mother worked at Southpark and they had some deal for employees where CMS would allow you stay at your school, plus I was involved in varsity sports.

I met a lot of good people there, all the neighbors knew each other, but it was a little bit of a troubled area back then. Mostly car break ins, theft and that type of thing. Towards the back is where it got kind of rough. I remember when they leveled what used to be a full service station and garage where the Exxon is now. The HT didn't do too well and had hired security 24 hours to monitor the shopping plaza. Eckerds was there at the time, some restaurant that changed names almost daily, and Papa John's pizza but they had no problems since everyone likes Pizza

I've often wondered what came of that place over the years. I frequently use the Sardis Ln. cut through to get over to Sardis and there are some really nice homes down that road.

Also, Landsdowne which is a cool neighborhood.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,413 times
Gosh, I don't know what to say. I'm really impressed by your kind attitude and words about the poor, 7 oh 4. I too used to volunteer for Crisis Assistance Ministry before I got a full-time job. That was the firts time I ever knocked elbows with the poor.I made a lasing impression on me. Since retiring I've volunteered at my neighborhood school teaching English to mostly Hispanic 5-7 year olds. Such cute little kids.

I honestly realize that what Charlottean is trying to make us understand by his post is that good, hardworking people can fall on hard times and need public or private assistance. I feel that it is then our role as more fortunate to help them out. What really troubles me is what we started to talk about in another thread ( you remember, Ani) - namely the NIMBY attitude. 7 oh 4 asks where these poor people will go. I, unfortunately, can tell you - the Eastside! IMBY!

You see, i don't mind one or two Section Eight projects near me - it's my duty to help people less fortunate find shelter. But I don't want them all. Let Providence Road keep their share - ONE PROJECT!!! Cry Me a River! (as we used to say when I was young).

Now don't go and get P.O.ed at me, Ani, there should probably be one on Carmel Road, Randolph Road, Fairview Road, etc. One section of the city should not have a corner on this market. I'll take SIMBY, but I want other folks to also take SIMBY.

Should I be running, and ducking as I run, to escape all of those missiles that I see my new-found friends picking up to hurl as soon as I hit "Post Quick Reply"?

Last edited by BarbJ; 02-15-2008 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Bad rhetoric and spelling

Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Would you pleeeeeezzzz tell me where in heaven's name all those people come from who are all over the Arboretum like flies on ice cream? I feel like someone is going to ram me in the parking lot - the crazy driving that goes on in there!!!!!! Where are these people flocking from ?????? .
Right up Providence Rd, we live here and have to shop somewhere.

I remember when Providence Square was a very nice complex and had some friends that lived there, I am guessing this was late 1970s or early 1980s but I could be off a few years. The offices in the middle were bustling, it was a neat concept.

IMHO its time has come, and if someone can pull off the re-development I am sure it would be wildly successful. Just look down Sardis LN!.
I really do not have an opinion regarding the housing project other than getting gas at that Exxon (which is where I fuel my cars and bikes) late at night can be an adventure.

Last edited by mullman; 02-16-2008 at 06:38 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Gosh, I don't know what to say. I'm really impressed by your kind attitude and words about the poor, 7 oh 4. I too used to volunteer for Crisis Assistance Ministry before I got a full-time job. That was the firts time I ever knocked elbows with the poor.I made a lasing impression on me. Since retiring I've volunteered at my neighborhood school teaching English to mostly Hispanic 5-7 year olds. Such cute little kids.

I honestly realize that what Charlottean is trying to make us understand by his post is that good, hardworking people can fall on hard times and need public or private assistance. I feel that it is then our role as more fortunate to help them out. What really troubles me is what we started to talk about in another thread ( you remember, Ani) - namely the NIMBY attitude. 7 oh 4 asks where these poor people will go. I, unfortunately, can tell you - the Eastside! IMBY!

You see, i don't mind one or two Section Eight projects near me - it's my duty to help people less fortunate find shelter. But I don't want them all. Let Providence Road keep their share - ONE PROJECT!!! Cry Me a River! (as we used to say when I was young).

Now don't go and get P.O.ed at me, Ani, there should probably be one on Carmel Road, Randolph Road, Fairview Road, etc. One section of the city should not have a corner on this market. I'll take SIMBY, but I want other folks to also take SIMBY.

Should I be running, and ducking as I run, to escape all of those missiles that I see my new-found friends picking up to hurl as soon as I hit "Post Quick Reply"?
Barb, 7 oh 4, C-Guy, Charlottean, et al . . . I am also very concerned about the gentification of Charlotte, if we want to call it that. I think some of it is true gentrification (what we have seen uptown in surrounding neighborhoods) and some of it (Providence situation that we are talking about here) is necessary rejuvenation.

City planning is at the core of this issue. When I had a voice as a newspaper editor, I was able to speak up in a public forum about such things as city planning wh/ was often engineered to "clean out" pockets of poverty. I have seen time and again where major highways, both state and federal, were planned to go right through impoverished neighborhoods. It didn't take someone very astute to put two and two together and come up with the answer as to why the routes of those streets went smack dab through the middle of poor communities. The response from the public tended to be "Hooray! Taking out the trash." And I understood that attitude.

Progress? Yes. The city paid for the land and houses, wh/ were often owned by absentee landlords and in some situations that I considered especially specious - those landlords were prominent members of the community who even sat on the city council and/or planning commissions. Hmmmmm. Well, we won't go there - another discussion for another day.

Here in Charlotte, highways have wiped out whole neighborhoods. I can remember as a child driving through areas of Charlotte that literally creeped me out. My daddy's hands would grip a little tighter on the steering wheel and even tho no words were spoken, it was clear that my father was hoping to get past these areas w/ no incidents, including a flat tire, overheated radiator or gas stop. Most of you have never seen those areas, where houses were literally no more than shacks.

It was a big relief to residents as well as visitors to have the bulldozers come in, raze the whole area, and construct roadways that not only accommodated travel . . . but made the visual display of poverty "go away."

No one wanted to talk about what happened to those displaced people. My father served in the General Assembly and he was a social activist, w/ great concern for the disenfranchised. In fact, so much so that we ended up w/ threats from the KKK and federal agents on our doorstep, but again, another story for another day.

So yes, there are those amongst us who do care what happens not only to displaced people, but to the disenfranchised. Solutions? I don't know. Public housing? Homelessness? Mental Illness w/in the homeless community? Substance abuse?

It is easy to distance one's self. And yes, as Barb said, the NIMBY attitude sets in. Heck, the NIMBY attitude, wh/ is a reaction to fears regarding crime and falling home values . . . also sets in when "halfway houses" for the mentally ill or recovering substance abusers are suggested.

Back a decade ago, I worked very hard to earn my nursing home administrators license. I decided that perhaps thru/ this work, I would at least make a difference for the elderly, especially those who were being warehoused. Yes, Granny Dumping is a real phenomena. I quickly learned, the bureaucracy is overwhelming . . . the work is so demanding . . . and the risk to an administrator so high - unlike hospital administrators, the law is such that NHAs can permanently lose their licenses for infractions that occur in their facilities. THere are wonderful nursing home facilities out there, of course, but maintaining staff who are dedicated and caring - especially when low salaries are the norm - well, I felt myself becoming very jaded and discouraged. Again, another story for another day.

My point is . . . as a society, we should be judged by the way we treat the disenfranchised. The problem in that is w/ people who "game the system" as well as with those who are chronically impoverished and are not willing to do anything to change their situations - or perhaps I should say - are incapable of changing their situations b/c they are substance abusers, or they are mentally ill, or they are caught up in a saga that includes a poor education, lack of skills and multiple illegitimate babies to feed, or a felony record . . .

Those who truly need assistance get lost in a system that has little way of distinguishing between those who need a safety net . . . and those who, for whatever reason, will be standing w/ a hand out til the day they die.

So where does this leave us with providing assistance for those who need that safety net, or a "hand up" or just something temporary to get them through a terrible situation w/ job loss or illness? And what about those who are disabled and literally cannot work to put food on the table and a roof over their heads?

Seems as a society, we have left it to private enterprise to provide that housing . . . w/ investors often looking towards government subsidies as a way to recoup the rent. I already embarrassed myself once this week by showing my ignorance about the difference b/n Section 8 housing and public assistance and sadly, I still have not caught up on my education about the two and how they are different. So I am surely no expert at addressing this situation w/ subsidies. However, I do know that as a society, we seem to have shifted housing issues to landlords who qualify their properties so that renters can qualify for that government voucher or check each month.

True public housing, as I understand it, has been built w/ federal monies and as we have seen in the aftermath of Katrina, it seems setting up whole communities who rely on entitlement programs to provide them w/ subsistence puts everyone at arm's length for providing solutions to housing should those housing units be lost. Again, another discussion, perhaps, as I am not referring to homeowners, here, but rather to absentee landlords.

Investors are going to do what is profitable, even if they do have the best of altruistic intentions!!! All landlords are not Simon Legree . . . all landlords are not uncaring about their renters. But at the same time, all renters are not responsible people and some renters feel no personal responsibility for the properties they rent when someone else is writing out the checks for the roof over their heads.

We have left low income housing in the hands of either the federal government or absentee landlords, for the most part. Sadly, these areas often b/cm breeding grounds for crime . . .

What would happen if we demanded more law enforcement in those neighborhoods? What would happen if we had a more accessible (and better funded) mental health system that could assure those needing meds and counseling to deal with mental illness received it? What would happen if substance abuse programs had the dollars to provide long term care for people w/ a history of recidivism? What would happen if we could actually provide safe, clean housing for elderly living on limited social security or subsistance?

I tend to be overly optimisitic. I tend to believe if these social issues were really discussed, if they were considered priorities, if our city fathers all across this country would be willing to put the manpower and resources into finding answers . . . we could move society forward. Sadly, it seems to me these problems are left in the realm of volunteer organizations, such as food banks, soup kitchens and AA meetings sponsored by faith-based organizations. Thank God someone is stepping forward! But often, these are bandaids and programs designed to meet immediate needs (homeless shelters) rather than find SOLUTIONS.

I could sit up on this soapbox and write about this all afternoon, but won't, as I bet everyone on this board has thought about these issues, as well. And since many of us have volunteered in whatever small way we can . . . we have seen the poverty and misery up close. I work hard at not allowing myself a "pat on the back" for doing what little I do to help out in the community. It is easy for me to put my concerns on the back burner, or throw up my hands - feeling discouraged - when I really think about the depth of the problems and how little effect my small efforts really have in changing the "big picture."

So how do we go about "cleaning up the community" while still facing the cold hard facts that there are those in our community who, for whatever reason, are going to be living impoverished lives? And how do we best address their needs? Hope investors will step up? Wait for Uncle Sam to tax us more so we can re-distribute the wealth by establishing more entitlement programs, subsidized housing, etc?

I don't know.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-16-2008 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: misspell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte