Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
And a squadron of pigs is preparing for take off at the airport.
We can only hope that they get their due. I am a believer!

You reap what you sow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM

429 posts, read 730,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I do see where you are coming from...Lock ALL valuables in your trunk. Even if it for just a short while. Criminal & crooks are very fast!

They will get their due. What comes around goes around...right?

Are there any daycares near you in Uptown, 7 oh 4? At least everyone up there would probably be too drunk or having too good of a time with their drinking buddies to want to worry about some mothers purse full of gummy bears, kleenex, suckers and coupons....
But, you are correct. This ain't Mayberry! we need to be proactive and make sure that everything is out of sight and doesn't attract the attention of someone who's up to no good.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
i wouldn't say they deserve it, but then again i am not into blaming victims.

i've worked at childcare centers before and this is very common. unfortunately, people need to take precautions.
Is this with the doors locked??? I seriously doubt it in 3 minutes // If you are not locking your doors at ALL times here in Charlotte, you are asking for trouble.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Is this with the doors locked??? I seriously doubt it in 3 minutes // If you are not locking your doors at ALL times here in Charlotte, you are asking for trouble.
yeah, with doors locked. they just break the window-grab the purse-get away. it happened to one of my favorite moms in my class in ny. she came in to pick up her daughter-didn't stay more than 5 mins-and when she went back to her car the passengerside window was busted and her purse was gone. police later found her purse in a nearby dumpster. childcare centers typically do not have cameras in the parking lot.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times
BofA has an excellent daycare, but I'm told that there is a long waiting list. One of the Y's near uptown also has a very good one, but, here again, there's a long waiting list.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,280 times
I've heard of this smash and grab happening at preschools and daycares all over the place. Unfortunately, even the crooks know that we moms run into preschools while carrying, as FortMillBound said, at least 10 tons of crap, usually while also trying to hold on to a fiesty preschooler with one hand and carrying an infant seat in the other. Between the kids, the diaper bags, lunch boxes, sippy cups, snacks for the class, etc., we have no room for the pocketbook, which is usually carrying another 10 tons of goodies such as toys, extra diapers and wipes, hand sanitizer, a spare sippy cup or two, coupons, and sometimes even a wallet!! Anyway, I have been guilty of leaving the pocketbook in the car, too. And So, to the OP, thanks for the reminder that we need to be careful!!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:34 PM

197 posts, read 668,473 times
I hate to admit it. But, being a busy moms make us so vulnerable. In addition to this I'd been warned to be extra careful at malls or shopping parking lots. Robberies and assaults are taking place in this areas and it seems that women with kids are the main target.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,585 times
The question is.... why isn't there security guards in these locations?
People keep saying "crime is everywhere" and "well, it's not as bad here as it is in New York and New Jersey" Yadda, Yadda, BUT, what is being done to deter these crimes?
It amazes me that people bury their heads in the sand and make excuses for these crimes, when security guards or patrols will take care of the problem.
And while I'm ranting I'd like to add that this is not New York or New Jersey, this is Charlotte NC, and why does everything here have to be compared to another city and state?
If this city needs more police then they should hire them - my gosh, much as we pay in taxes it's hard to believe that the city budget is too tight to protect the residents.
And before I close I'll also say that NO ONE, WHETHER IT BE A PRESCHOOL MOM, OR SHOPPER, OR JOE BLOW WALKING DOWN THE STREET, SHOULD BE VICTIMS OF CRIME! And if someone leaves their belongings in the car while they run into the school to pick up their child they shouldn't have to worry about a low-life criminal stealing their belongings from their car or snatching their purse from their arm.
People better start writing their city officials and demanding this crime spree be handled.
JMO.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I do see where you are coming from...Lock ALL valuables in your trunk. Even if it for just a short while. Criminal & crooks are very fast!

They will get their due. What comes around goes around...right?
a couple of years ago while on her way to work my wife stopped by the cemetery where her parents are buried. After returning from the gravesite she realised her purse was missing. Even in a cemetery you need to be on guard, there is no time to let your emotions remember loved ones, sad. We later found that her charge card was used in a gas station near the cemetery. We never got any police follow up, really didn't expect any.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 AM

673 posts, read 2,680,367 times
This kind of stuff happens all the time around the country. Something else to look out for is when you are getting gas. My purse is in the car while I am pumping gas. I always make sure to lock the doors, so nobody can open the passenger side & grab it while I am preoccupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte