Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 96,509 times

Advertisements

So I may be finally putting an offer (they can't refuse..LOL) on a house.

It has a big yard and i may put a pool in their if the price does not scare me off completely.

#1. What would be the average price of a, say 16x20 vinyl pool in charlotte?
#2. How much %age can i recover when time comes to sell?

Thanks everyone for your inputs! This is a great forum..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 40,820 times
Not a pro in this but we wanted a pool with our home and our agent insisted on finding a home with a pool because it's hard to recover the investment of having the pool installed. We got a great home with a pool for the same price as another home we liked. If you plan to live there for 10 years, that's different and do what you want. Best wishes!
B.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 PM

429 posts, read 730,477 times
I can tell you that regardless of how much you spend on putting in your pool $16,000 or $40,000 really won't matter because pools to not add value to your home. An appraiser or a Realtor doing a CMA will only allot, at the most $4,000 credit for the pool. Pools are for your on personal enjoyment, but when you get ready to sell, a potential buyer may love your house, but the pool may be the one thing that turns them away. And, on occasion the opposite can happen, but rarely. I have had clients who fell in love with a pool and the beautiful landscaping, hot tub, Cabana, etc., but thought the house was just "ok". They ended up buying the house because they knew they could change the cosmetic things inside the home didn't like. They bought it for the pool!!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,118 times
A pool is a nicety, not a necessity. They only add value to a house if someone is looking for a house with a pool. We did a lot of research into a pool for our house and decided when all was said and done, not to do it. After much leg work, stay away from a vinyl pool, concrete was very expensive, prefab was the most logical and economic. With installation, filters, etc, came to around $15k. Concrete was almost $40k. Vinyl we could not have done because we have a dog and would have ripped the vinyl everytime she would have climbed out.
We joined a club with a swim team and our neighbors have pools.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:18 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,798 times
If you are in any kind of subdivision (neighborhood) and you have a Homeowners' Association, check with them about the Bi-Laws b/c some prohibit above-ground pools and possibly all pools. We wanted a neighborhood that would allow an above-ground pool and our agent knew that we wouldn't buy in this particular Ryan subdivision unless we could have one. He gave us a copy of the Bi-Laws and said he didn't see anything in there stating that we couldn't have one. I read over the bi-laws twice and thought okay, looks good. Well, 6 months after we moved in I found out through the HOA president that above-ground pools were actually considered "temporary structures" the same as sheds, certain fences, shrubs, etc., and that they were not allowed.

My point is, if you have a HOA, check with someone on the Board. They have some very strict rules about what can and can't be done in your subdivision.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM

61 posts, read 75,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coollicks View Post
So I may be finally putting an offer (they can't refuse..LOL) on a house.

It has a big yard and i may put a pool in their if the price does not scare me off completely.

#1. What would be the average price of a, say 16x20 vinyl pool in charlotte?
#2. How much %age can i recover when time comes to sell?

Thanks everyone for your inputs! This is a great forum..
You won't be able to fill it with the current drought restrictions in place. New pools cannot be filled. So many Charlotte neighborhoods have great swim clubs that people prefer over their own pools because there's no maintenance and the kids have someone to play with. Consider a house in a hood with a swim club. That's how we met all of our friends.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:39 PM

15 posts, read 96,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynsmom View Post
You won't be able to fill it with the current drought restrictions in place. New pools cannot be filled. So many Charlotte neighborhoods have great swim clubs that people prefer over their own pools because there's no maintenance and the kids have someone to play with. Consider a house in a hood with a swim club. That's how we met all of our friends.
Pardon my ignorance but does it hold true even for house with wells...this one has a well...

AND thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice

Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM

116 posts, read 418,267 times
It depends where you live. We lived in FL and CA and pools do add value to the property value. We just built a pool with spa last year in CA included a solar heater, pebble tech and salt water system. I guess in Charlotte it might not be as valuable because the swimming season is short? Or any other reasons? We would like to build a pool in a new home in Charlotte as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
No pools dont add value to a home...if your talkin dollars and cents..We put in an inground pool in NJ with stamped concrete and landscaping...knowing it wasnt going to add value but it was what we wanted and the buyers of our home only wanted a home with a pool however they werent going to pay MORE for the house because it had one, then we asked the Appraiser and since I was a Realtor in NJ I knew we werent seeing that money back.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
One of my neighbors in back of me filled in their pool & grassed it over to have a larger yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte