Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,537 times

Advertisements

I mis-posted this in the general NC section, so trying again here:

We've been visiting my sister, who just moved from the Baltimore suburbs to Wesley Chapel. We're in the DC burbs and are considering joining her family down there. There are lots of pluses to the move, but one thing that seems to be missing is water. By my calculation, Charlotte is one of the only big cities not on the water, one way or the other. We are not big into water sports, but enjoy the occasional boat ride, stroll alongside or meal overlooking some form of water. Our house backs to a lake, and the Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay and numerous other lakes and streams are found within a short drive from almost any point in our area. There are also many man-made lakes in neighborhoods with trails and the like running alongside. I guess I took this for granted until I was down there visiting her. So, my question is -- are they there and I just haven't found them? Where do you go for an evening walk along the water? I see there's a big lake on the west side of Charlotte, but anything on the east? I don't know that this is a deal breaker, but I have to admit it's kind of bothering me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:50 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,762 times
The two largest lakes around us are Lake Norman a little north of Charlotte and Lake Wylie that is split between North Carolina and South Carolina. In Union County there is a small lake called Crane Creek park, it has picnicking and some water sports. I believe you can rent paddle boats there and maybe dock a small boat, I'm not sure about the latter. We moved here from Florida and that is the one thing that we miss the most. Other than that, we love it here.

If anyone needs to correct me, feel free. As i said, I'm not a native so my information may be a little off.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:47 AM

430 posts, read 804,092 times
I'm in Wesley Chapel, and most people who are trying to stay local go to Lake Wylie or Lake Norman. But IMO they aren't very local. But there isn't much for water. I grew up by the beach, and it's a big change. There are a lot of man made ponds, but they are all due to construction runoff I believe, and they aren't places you'll want to walk around.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,537 times
Thanks, it's pretty much what I thought. Lots of weighing to do. . . .

Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 AM

53 posts, read 87,212 times
LLL is dead on. There aren't many natural lakes in NC at all, just rivers. Fir a scenic body of water you'd really need to drive a few hours to the mountains or the beach to be honest. On the plus side, if you drive to the mountains there are a few nice waterfalls to check out. If your heart yearns to be near an inspiring body of water, Charlotte will definitely make leave you homesick & unfulfilled. Having moved from the Fingerlakes region of upstate NY, I completely understand your concern.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,574 times
It's definately an unsettling change to not be around water. There's no waters to rest your eyes on, no breeze from it, no smell from it-not even a fresh smell (not nec ocean). For me it's one of the things that make Charlotte never feel like quite like a home-it's like the Twilight Zone. You have to leave that side of you behind forever if you move here. Unfortunately I didn't realize that when I moved here. It's also super hot in the summer which makes me really feel the landlocked-ness of it.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 PM

124 posts, read 161,972 times
There is Lake Lee and Lake Monroe, both in Union County in the Monroe area. Google them and you'll find out how to get to them.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
North Carolinians do the best they can with what they have to work with IMO. In addition to the ocean, rivers, and streams, Maine has several thousand natural lakes and ponds and most of them are clear (can often see many feet down to the bottom), not muddy or murky... no water moccasins in them. The NC water choices are definitely limited compared to Maine, New England, New York, etc. unless you are on the coast where obviously there is the ocean.

I spent some time at Baydin Lake and there always seemed to be a stench coming from it. Some say it's from a fish known as a brim. Friends told me there were gar fish in some of the lakes. I personally wouldn't want to swim with them.

I paddled a canoe down part of the Uwharrie River into Lake Tillery. There was a section of the river requiring portage. I was ok until I saw the water moccasin sunning itself on a rock doing a little dance in my path.

Morrow Mountain State Park | NC State Parks is a nice place by NC standards anyway. IMO

Latta Plantation ... scroll down and you'll see the map that includes water Plan Your Visit

https://www.visitnc.com/listing/high-rock-lake-1

Find a Park | NC State Parks

Visit | U.S. National Whitewater Center

Hidden Pond is a subdivision in Concord, NC that has its own pond to walk around. ... a far cry from a natural lake or pond but can walk around it and be right near your house if you live there.

National Forests in North Carolina - Uwharrie National Recreation Trail

The summer heat in the Charlotte area is oppressive, but I've visited friends in Maryland in the summer and I found the heat there oppressive. IMO you will miss the ocean so much it could bring you to tears.

I realize I have included information beyond the area of Union County.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-06-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Growing up down east near Wilmington there is Lake Waccamaw, White Lake and others that
way, but once you get that far might as well chug on to the ocean. Maybe it's the kuntry (coastal country) in me but having lived in DC and other large cities, the notion of skyscrapers next to or in the background of a body of water seemed so unnatural. Although places like Hains Point or other public access areas (when not overly crowded) are good outlets to enjoy scenery.

Not quite Hains point, Lake Norman, etc but here's a kuntry spot in Union County to knock off the dust: Cane Creek Park.

Parks & Recreation

There are a lot of creeks, parks, lakes, etc all over NC and SC. To the OP, would not let that be a deal breaker.

Lol at Mainegirl, I don't miss the ocean that much (too tears)....sometimes I do miss just chillin and walking along the waterfront in Wilmington but I get home often enough.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Growing up down east near Wilmington there is Lake Waccamaw, White Lake and others that
way, but once you get that far might as well chug on to the ocean. Maybe it's the kuntry (coastal country) in me but having lived in DC and other large cities, the notion of skyscrapers next to or in the background of a body of water seemed so unnatural. Although places like Hains Point or other public access areas (when not overly crowded) are good outlets to enjoy scenery.

Not quite Hains point, Lake Norman, etc but here's a kuntry spot in Union County to knock off the dust: Cane Creek Park.

Parks & Recreation

There are a lot of creeks, parks, lakes, etc all over NC and SC. To the OP, would not let that be a deal breaker.

Lol at Mainegirl, I don't miss the ocean that much (too tears)....sometimes I do miss just chillin and walking along the waterfront in Wilmington but I get home often enough.
lol I like the NC ocean as well as the Maine ocean.... in it, near it, smelling it, eating great seafood, skip the sharks if possible ... I prefer living very close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte