Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times

Advertisements

2 years before leaving So. NJ, hubby took a part time job with an national corporation knowing that he could relocate with the same rate of pay. I am a writer so I would not be working outside of our home. It was an easy move for us that worked out for us because he had the job before we moved down. We did not want to take the chance of coming down and not having a job. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painehouse View Post
I am moving from Boston to Charlotte in April. I know everyone states not to move without a job but it seems impossible to find a job while not in the area. I have applied for many jobs I am defiantly qualified for and nothing. My question is of those of you who moved without a job how long did it take you to find one? I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice as well as 4 years as a private investigator. I am interested in possible working for an insurance company. TIA
Well...I've been looking since Aug. & finally got a job last week. The funny thing is that I got the job based on the volunteer work I did in NY. It is a seasonal job (at the moment), but I don't care. It's a job & it's in something I love & have fun doing.

Jobs in law enforcement, PI, security, etc...you need to be certified down here. There is a BLET course that you have to take. I know because my husband is a retired LT from NYPD. Because he is past his 1st year of retirement, he would have to take this course, which is very expensive, in order to get any type of PI/security job. Within your 1st yr of retirement, the course is waived.

My suggestion to you would be to start looking now, before you move, & find out what the exact requirements are for any employer you're interested in. Private sector & municipal/state/county are all different.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

BxRosie

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM

32 posts, read 96,229 times
Is it really important to have a NC address in order to land a job? I've got a NC contact number but I've still got my NY address on my resume, is this going to be detrimental to my job search (Middle School mathematics teacher)? TIA

Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,443 times
Talking just a thought

get a job at your local home depot, lowe's, etc. and then when you are ready to relocate to NC, transfer your job to a NC branch and then work there until you can get the career job you would prefer doing.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

110 posts, read 310,737 times
We drove down, fell in love, and bought our house in the summer '07, and closed in November '08. Over the summer & fall, I applied casually with no replies. But because of the holiday season, we decided to just wait until January 2008. We were both still employed in NJ, and decided that we would stay in NJ until we got a job in NC. So, our house was empty, and we were already paying the mortgage on it.

I started seriously applying in the new year, with my new NC address. When I went for the interviews, I told the companies that I was already in the process of relocating, and clear about the fact that I was not looking for any relocation reimbursement.

By the end of February I got an offer, which was 14% less than what I earned in NJ. But it was more than my threshold number, which I figured what we would need to make in order to pay our bills in NC.

I think also in my mind, I wasn't feeling desperate, because I still had a job in NJ. So, I would agree, don't move unless you have a job to go to. It is a lot less stressful that way!

Also, ask yourself, what is the worst that can happen? For us it would be that we wouldn't make it, have to move ack to NJ with our parents, until we get back on our feet. We don't have children, so we felt that it was a calculated risk we could take, for the potential of a really great outcome. So, far it is proving to have been a great choice.. Our house price has already risen, the weather is beautiful, and the area/people are great!

Best of luck to you!
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte