Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Due to the exploding growth of IT (over the past several years), the police force issue is becoming a major topic.

Previous town councils either buried their head in the sand or didn't have the foresight to address this issue. The current members along w/the mayor are taking a hard look at increasing UC sheriffs dedicated to IT, or starting its own police force. Discussion about this is a good thing.

Make no mistake, we get great service from the several times they've been called. (mainly punk kids who vandalized things in the neighborhood). And it doesn't hurt to have one of the best community watch programs around! A very "underrated" program that helps tremendously.....

sorry for going off topic, just wanted to make sure that people didn't get the idea that service was lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Due to the exploding growth of IT (over the past several years), the police force issue is becoming a major topic.

Previous town councils either buried their head in the sand or didn't have the foresight to address this issue. The current members along w/the mayor are taking a hard look at increasing UC sheriffs dedicated to IT, or starting its own police force. Discussion about this is a good thing.

Make no mistake, we get great service from the several times they've been called. (mainly punk kids who vandalized things in the neighborhood). And it doesn't hurt to have one of the best community watch programs around! A very "underrated" program that helps tremendously.....

sorry for going off topic, just wanted to make sure that people didn't get the idea that service was lacking.
CouponJack - It's good Indian Trail is thinking of creating its own Police Department. With the explosive growth of Union County and Indian Trail in particular, many of the towns of Union County will have to give serious consideration to forming their own PDs and FDs. I suspect with the amount of housing permits issued, that Indian Trail will soon be the biggest municipality in Union County. As much as I hate tax increases, I don't mind paying for those services which are sometimes critical.

The taxes I computed for Stacey will probably go up in the next few years. I suspect that she is or was a renter in NJ being that she seemed concerned that her soon-to--be taxes would be that high! The average tax bill on a house in NJ is around $7000. For the kind of homes built in Indian Trail, the NJ tax average would be low. But for those kind of taxes, the homeowners expect great services.

Stacey - One thing you should carefully choose is homeowners insurance. Make sure you have a good comprehensive policy. Your rates may be higher in towns that have a volunteer FD and please check how close you are to a fire hydrant. It is another factor in determining your HO rates. Mine is currently closer to my house in Monroe than it was to my house in NJ.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Cornelius = $1.11 per thousand.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Cornelius = $1.11 per thousand.
vindaloo - The tax rate for my old home town was $2.223 per hundred. Considering that houses cost about 3x what they do down here you could figure out what you would pay for your house in my old home town.

Current Value times 3 at $2.223 per 100.

eg. $300,000 x 3 x .02223 = $20,007

Now you know why we're all moving down here. Right Stacey!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 02-19-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM

26 posts, read 49,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Stacey - Your taxes will be based on whatever you pay for the house on closing. The rates are slowly creeping up but nowhere near as fast as NJ! I live in Monroe so my taxes are higher. Indian Trail is relatively cheap. You pay the county tax which in most cases will be the big amount since the school tax is the major part of it and whatever tax your individual municipality assesses.
that is not true. your taxes will be based on what value the county assessor puts on your house. has nothing to do with what you paid for it.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrichter View Post
that is not true. your taxes will be based on what value the county assessor puts on your house. has nothing to do with what you paid for it.
jwrichter - You're absolutely right -my bad! It's just in my case that the assessed value and the price of the house were identical at the time. Given the current market and th increase in the assessed value, they've probably "diverged" a bit since then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte