Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

Hello: i am relocating to south charlotte from texas and i am reading about some overcrowding of these public schools. does anyone have any suggestions about how to find info. about # of trailors, % capacity of elementary south charlotte schools, future plans to alleviate overcrowding, how to find out if they are no longer accepting new students? I have already found test scores, and ratings ,etc. online.

But i would like some input from people that have children in these schools, such as providence springs, olde providence, hawk ridge, mckee, elon,and endhaven before i purchase a home in this area this spring. any info. is appreciated, especially stuff that i can research online.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM

429 posts, read 730,320 times
Hawk Ridge has always had overcrowding issues, but it didn't seem to hinder their test scores!! The new elem. school, Elon, was supposed to relieve some of that (not sure how much it helped). At one time, HR had more "learning cottages" than any other CMS elem. school. I have not heard that Elon is overcrowded (my neighbor teaches there), however this is a brand new school, it won't be long before it is. The school has an excellant reputation, as well as administration!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM

246 posts, read 583,571 times
Don't worry, the city will make sure to take however much tax $$$ required to ensure that S. Charlotte is taken care of.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresag1 View Post
Hello: i am relocating to south charlotte from texas and i am reading about some overcrowding of these public schools. does anyone have any suggestions about how to find info. about # of trailors, % capacity of elementary south charlotte schools, future plans to alleviate overcrowding, how to find out if they are no longer accepting new students? I have already found test scores, and ratings ,etc. online.

But i would like some input from people that have children in these schools, such as providence springs, olde providence, hawk ridge, mckee, elon,and endhaven before i purchase a home in this area this spring. any info. is appreciated, especially stuff that i can research online.
There is no easy answer to your questions unfortuantely. It is just a fact that the infastructure at CMS is lacking and has not been able to keep up with the growth of Charlotte. Trust me, trailers are aweful and do not set a good learning environment especially for younger students who should not be taught in these conditions. Even the brand new elem schools are overcrowded and way beyond full capacity a year after they open. My daughter attended a new school and then a year later she was in second grade being taught in a trailer with 28 other students. Coming from tx myself, it is a big transition. In TX we had locked doors on our elem schools, security cameras, etc, CMS schools do not have any of that. Needless to say, half way into this school year I had enough and now my daugher is being homeschooled for the remainder of this year and we are looking into private schools for next year. If you can afford private schools I would recommend it in this area.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
If you can afford private schools I would recommend it in this area.
+1

It is surprising what people can afford when they seriously examine their budget and change priorities.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

It is surprising what people can afford when they seriously examine their budget and change priorities.
Yes, ofcourse especially when it is our childrens education we are considering.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresag1 View Post

Teresa, even if the concept of having your child taught in a trailer seems foreign to you, let me assure you many of us think the trailers are actually BETTER than regular classrooms. First of all, they are very roomy, with their own bathrooms - which is really nice knowing your child is not able to be bullied or intimidated like sometimes happens in hallway restrooms with lots of stalls and no teacher close by.

But more importantly, they offer a much quieter atmosphere and far fewer disruptions like you have with classrooms on long hallways which echo. My son loved being in a trailer - it was something it was disappointed to have to give up the next year when his grade moved into a school classroom

All the schools you mentioned are fine schools - in particular Providence Springs is the #1 rated elementary and is very nice. They have a great location, set way back off the road with a wonderful playground.

Trailers have been a part of Charlotte schools for at least 30 years, they are not a new thing here. Having them has always been an economical way to provide space without having to raise taxes so high to build so many new schools. Of course, some new schools ARE built every year, but if the system actually built as many as we need taxes here would no doubt look like they do in New Jersey. Frankly, I'll take the trailers over the taxes any day. I guess some folks just really WANT to pay more in taxes

Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Sorry loves, I have no idea what you are talking about. My daughter was just in a trailer this year at an elementary school in second grade and they were not spacious, they were very cramped with 28 students in there. There was no room to walk around, to sit on a carpet and read, nothing. They do not have thier own bathrooms or running water either. Security is a big issue too, as a lot of these kids walked around the outside of the school grounds w/o any supervision which was very unsettling to me especially since my daughters school was on a park property and the trailers backed up to the road. Being in a trailer was not better then being in the school b/c there were 20 trailers, so there was just as much noise as there was in the school except that these kids are isolated from the rest of the school. I personally do not feel that being taught in trailers provides a good learning environment for children. Yes, true trailers have been part of CMS for a long time, however, in a lot of towns trailers are just not even considered b/c they are just simply not desirable.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Sorry loves, I have no idea what you are talking about. My daughter was just in a trailer this year at an elementary school in second grade and they were not spacious, they were very cramped with 28 students in there. There was no room to walk around, to sit on a carpet and read, nothing. They do not have thier own bathrooms or running water either. Security is a big issue too, as a lot of these kids walked around the outside of the school grounds w/o any supervision which was very unsettling to me especially since my daughters school was on a park property and the trailers backed up to the road. Being in a trailer was not better then being in the school b/c there were 20 trailers, so there was just as much noise as there was in the school except that these kids are isolated from the rest of the school. I personally do not feel that being taught in trailers provides a good learning environment for children. Yes, true trailers have been part of CMS for a long time, however, in a lot of towns trailers are just not even considered b/c they are just simply not desirable.

nkjaws, you have to learn to think outside the box, or in this case, outside the classroom Classrooms are only structures - they do not effect the quality of teaching or learning when a good teacher teaches and a prepared pupil comes to school. Many of our forefathers were taught in one room school houses with 45 kids in the room, and they still learned. Learning is not something that can only take place in a concrete building called a "school".

I suppose my son must have just been lucky to be in such a spacious trailer since you say your daughters was so tiny, but he truly loved the year he spent in that trailer. Sometimes in life your attitude is everything

Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
I guess that like schools all trailers are not the same. loves - despite NJ's horrendous taxes, there are schools with trailers too! My old grammar school, where I used to vote every year, ended up with two trailers in the playground. They seem to be everywhere these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte