Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 30,144 times

Advertisements

in contract to buy a house in the Sanctuary at Weddington...2 years old...relo situation...the finishings were decent and I know I will upgrade but am concerned about quality ...I spaced on researching the builder...I came from a Harrington Down solid as a rock house...wondering if Tru is as bad as some say...structurally speaking...should I bexpect worried as long as I get a good inspector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 AM

38 posts, read 83,957 times
Been in a True Home since 2010 and they were built a lot better than a lot of other builders. When they framed the house I photographed the trusses and other manufactured elements and checked the info from the Manufacturers against charts in the building codes. They exceeded the requirements in most cases and all structural components met the code. The county inspectors did an outstanding job throughout the whole project. You must hire a home inspection firm that also does termite inspections since the initial warranty for termites is only 5 years and many bugs cause damage in the Carolinas. As a retired Code Enforcement Official from up north I was quite happy with them even after the closing we had very few minor problems

Last edited by Hilltopper_2; 08-24-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 06:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
From the reviews that I've heard, they seem to build a decent home and are not shoddy.

My DW and me don't care for the aesthetics or appearance of their houses, so we never really looked into them further.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,085 times
Did you hire an agent to help you in the process? What does him/her say?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 14,322 times
We did not have a good experience with them at all. The sales agent lied to us several times and the house did not appraise for the contract price. They wanted us to start removing upgrades we chose or come up with an extra $15,000 out of pocket. When we declined both, they gave us a hard time about getting out of the contract. In the end they KEPT $500 of our $2,500 deposit. We wasted time and money and we would not recommend this builder!!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoandzeus View Post
We did not have a good experience with them at all. The sales agent lied to us several times and the house did not appraise for the contract price. They wanted us to start removing upgrades we chose or come up with an extra $15,000 out of pocket. When we declined both, they gave us a hard time about getting out of the contract. In the end they KEPT $500 of our $2,500 deposit. We wasted time and money and we would not recommend this builder!!
Yup. We backed out of a deal with them. They were HORRIBLE to work with and we realized we couldn't trust a thing they said.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 PM

193 posts, read 495,659 times
I've seen a few clients have trouble during the design process with True Homes concerning the cost of upgrades and what they think is included vs what was actually included; this can be trouble with a lot of new construction. However, in general, I think that the homes do appear to be well built, and you are probably better off if you don't have to go through the construction process (you know exactly what you get). Many of the neighborhoods that True Homes build in are a good value, because they purchased a lot of land during the down turn of the market, and then put a great deal of upgrades in them to beat the competition. A home inspection is a must even if it were a newer home or appears to be well built, even builders miss things and certainly you don't want to be the recipient of someone else's oversight.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
My Parents are the second owners of a three year old home, built by tru homes.

On ongoing leak was undetected, in spite of a home inspection. And though the house was out of warrentee by two months, truhomes came and fixed the issue promptly, at no charge.

Their houses are well made, although I don't care for the materials used in the construction of newer homes.

Issues with truhomes mainly stem from poor drainage between houses/property lines, or issues within their sales/marketing department.

I would buy a house made by truhomes, although the sales team can make buying a house a PITA.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 17,159 times
Tru homes? More like False homes! They build garbage. My friend bought one and said the crawl space was full of human feces. I guess they didn't have a portajohn while under construction.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 AM

235 posts, read 307,000 times
You know what they say... you get what you pay for...

Like most builders, True Homes builds a wide spectrum of houses- everything from a basic cookie cutter house with an entry level price point, up to semi custom houses with higher end materials. For example: Vinyl vs brick. 15 year vs. 40 year shingles.

We have been in a True Home for over 6 years and along with our neighbors have been very happy with our homes. Full disclosure- Our homes are in the mid to upper end of True Home's offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte