Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 PM

339 posts, read 933,741 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just got my SC DL about 10 days ago. I moved to SC about 4 weeks ago from AZ.

I got my first speeding ticket ever (been driving for 24 years) in Mecklenburg County a couple days ago. Got caught doing 53 in a 35 zone. I mistakenly thought it was a 45 limit. My mistake, I don't deny it.

What are my options here? I'm not too familiar with NC. Can I get it reduced?

Also not sure if it matters, but the officer spelled my name wrong, spelled my address wrong, and got my DOB wrong (and my age). He even spelled Charlotte wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure if I should get a lawyer. If I do, can it be a SC lawyer or does it have to be a NC lawyer?

Last edited by jf2737; 09-06-2016 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM

157 posts, read 157,086 times
Check your mailbox in about 72 hours. Lawyer solicitations begging to take your case for $150 plus the fine will come rolling in. I did one once, and they got me a Prayer For Judgement and Faulty Equipment plea. Cost was what it was, but no points, no insurance increase. I know a Mom in Meck who has had multiple 15+ mph tickets, and she simply appears at court and and they reduce it down to something harmless....she is amazed at the leniency of the process. All they want is the $$$. Do some research. You'll have at least 60 days to decide what to do!

Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,558 times
Stay off of Park Road. And don't go near Pineville.

You can appear at the court yourself on your scheduled day and time (don't be late!, wear something nice) and you will probably get called aside to reduce it before the judge calls you. Don't pay $150 for an attorney to get you the same PJC that you can get on your own. And remember, if you use the PJC and you get another ticket within five years that BOTH tickets will count.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:25 AM

372 posts, read 659,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post

You can appear at the court yourself on your scheduled day and time (don't be late!, wear something nice) and you will probably get called aside to reduce it before the judge calls you. Don't pay $150 for an attorney to get you the same PJC that you can get on your own. And remember, if you use the PJC and you get another ticket within five years that BOTH tickets will count.
Agreed!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Hello, I just got my SC DL about 10 days ago. I moved to SC about 4 weeks ago from AZ.

I got my first speeding ticket ever (been driving for 24 years) in Mecklenburg County a couple days ago. Got caught doing 53 in a 35 zone. I mistakenly thought it was a 45 limit. My mistake, I don't deny it.

What are my options here? I'm not too familiar with NC. Can I get it reduced?

Also not sure if it matters, but the officer spelled my name wrong, spelled my address wrong, and got my DOB wrong (and my age). He even spelled Charlotte wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure if I should get a lawyer. If I do, can it be a SC lawyer or does it have to be a NC lawyer?
Go on your court date, stand in the long line and it will most likely be reduced. If you go the lawyer route which is fine, you won't get a SC lawyer to rep you in NC, unless they are both SC and NC licensed. The moment you say Charlotte, an SC only lawyer will turn you away. As for the misspellings, they don't matter, bring that junk up in-front of a judge and it will only annoy them.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:33 AM

160 posts, read 206,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post

+1

Lawyers will ask the $150 fee + $400 and promise to reduce your violation to 5 mph above the speed limit. But just remember, no point in paying that $400 ...you may end up paying $400 more in 5 years. As suggested just go to the court directly and most likely you can get the case dismissed and might get a "prayer of judgement" with $180 (including court fees).

Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
I would love to play many of you in spades, as it seems you would overplay hands and use spades whenever possible. I would just wait out the shoe and underplay early while you win every book you can - even if you can win a book with a high suited card. It would be obvious that you haven't prepared or thought out your strategy when you don't have any spades left - and that's when I would start to play and punish you for poor strategy.

Just because you can use a prayer for judgement doesn't mean you should. In some cases it makes sense, but not necessarily in every one. What if there are other ways to reduce the ticket and result in no points and no impact to insurance and keep your prayer for judgement for another rainy day? Pay 300 bucks to a lawyer and let them help you navigate the system. You won't have to go to court and you will likely save your pfj for a potentially worse scenario down the road.

Or go ahead and play that spade. But just remember that the next bind you get in, you may be s.o.l. for options that don't spike your insurance or impact your license.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I would love to play many of you in spades, as it seems you would overplay hands and use spades whenever possible. I would just wait out the shoe and underplay early while you win every book you can - even if you can win a book with a high suited card. It would be obvious that you haven't prepared or thought out your strategy when you don't have any spades left - and that's when I would start to play and punish you for poor strategy.

Just because you can use a prayer for judgement doesn't mean you should. In some cases it makes sense, but not necessarily in every one. What if there are other ways to reduce the ticket and result in no points and no impact to insurance and keep your prayer for judgement for another rainy day? Pay 300 bucks to a lawyer and let them help you navigate the system. You won't have to go to court and you will likely save your pfj for a potentially worse scenario down the road.

Or go ahead and play that spade. But just remember that the next bind you get in, you may be s.o.l. for options that don't spike your insurance or impact your license.
You can lead a horse to ..............

I'm with you!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM

157 posts, read 157,086 times
I read that the PFJ is only reccomended to be used by NC drivers, not by out of state drivers. Oh, and dont bother saving your PFJ for any future speeding 25+ over, DWI or passing a stopped school bus...not applicable for those offenses.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
Are you a lawyer Mr. Chillax? Where did you get your information? Do you have a link?

I'm not a lawyer, and I would recommend that any poster not take legal advice on a city data forum.

The forum can come up with great information sometimes, but also should be discounted for what it costs to join (nothing). It's not hard to find misinformation regarding schools/housing...would be a shame if someone acted on bad advice on a message board that impacted their driving record and/or cost them on their insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte