Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,742,691 times

Advertisements

I for one will miss the annual CIAA thread. Always entertaining.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:46 PM

5,463 posts, read 6,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
No problem, those that were the most entertaining in that thread can always bash something else that is generally a positive economic and social enterprise for the community.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:21 PM

334 posts, read 308,700 times
I am glad they will go to Baltimore. I have a restaurant and my waiters and waitresses do not want to come in during that time as they make almost no money from tips and have to put up with rudeness, etc. Usually, gratuity is added to bills if more than 6 or 8 sit together, but not allowed during this event or a lawsuit is faced. So, enjoy Baltimore.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,285,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
I am glad they will go to Baltimore. I have a restaurant and my waiters and waitresses do not want to come in during that time as they make almost no money from tips and have to put up with rudeness, etc. Usually, gratuity is added to bills if more than 6 or 8 sit together, but not allowed during this event or a lawsuit is faced. So, enjoy Baltimore.
Oh sure, they get bigger tips during Speed Street. Stereotypical nonsense. Really doubt it, I think it has more to with the complexion of the patronage. Most people at CIAA (like myself) are college educated and many with advanced degrees and tip very well. It'll more than likely return to Charlotte after a few years in Baltimore. See the difference is to you (and many others) is loud white people having fun is cool, loud Black people having fun is "rude"....gtfoh.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:50 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,285,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
It is indeed, most people think it's about "parties". There are tons of events ranging from career fair, fashion shows, etc etc. Most White people simply can't handle being a minority for a few days. It ain't no fun is it...imagine that shat being a permanent part of your world.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:08 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Oh sure, they get bigger tips during Speed Street. Stereotypical nonsense. Really doubt it, I think it has more to with the complexion of the patronage. Most people at CIAA (like myself) are college educated and many with advanced degrees and tip very well. It'll more than likely return to Charlotte after a few years in Baltimore. See the difference is to you (and many others) is loud white people having fun is cool, loud Black people having fun is "rude"....gtfoh.
Co-sign!

And I wouldn't doubt that several of those waiters and waitresses provide horrible service because they believe CIAA patrons don't tip, and of course they wouldn't after receiving such service. It then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy on their end.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM

334 posts, read 308,700 times
I am fine with having customers that leave lousy tips if a gratuity can be charged to cover my staff who are always professional and treat everyone equally kind. It is what it is. Call it what you want. I don't care about race, I care about people working their a$$es off for peanuts. It is all about money with me. By the way, education has nothing to do with tips. Some of the best tippers are construction workers and blue collar types. A construction workers convention would be very welcomed in my restaurant. I don't know why Aristotle made this a racial issue. That wasn't the intent. I was talking about green, not black.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:04 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
I am fine with having customers that leave lousy tips if a gratuity can be charged to cover my staff who are always professional and treat everyone equally kind. It is what it is. Call it what you want. I don't care about race, I care about people working their a$$es off for peanuts. It is all about money with me. By the way, education has nothing to do with tips. Some of the best tippers are construction workers and blue collar types. A construction workers convention would be very welcomed in my restaurant. I don't know why Aristotle made this a racial issue. That wasn't the intent. I was talking about green, not black.
Then I hope you're pushing to get laws changed so that restaurant staff are paid a livable hourly wage and the archaic tipping system goes the way of the dodo bird.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM

607 posts, read 556,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then I hope you're pushing to get laws changed so that restaurant staff are paid a livable hourly wage and the archaic tipping system goes the way of the dodo bird.
Are you suggesting that waiters don't make enough money?

Good servers make a ton of money. Bad ones don't. Seems like the tipping system is great for everyone...except bad servers.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Are you suggesting that waiters don't make enough money?

Good servers make a ton of money. Bad ones don't. Seems like the tipping system is great for everyone...except bad servers.
That isn't how it works. "Good" and "bad" are subjective first of all, and secondly, there are many other factors that can determine a server's pay regardless of the service provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte