Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Gastonia is one of the few areas around Charlotte that has not become over inflated for the real estate prices. I think it is highly underrated. You have easy access to Kings and Crowders MTN, Catawba River as well as the white water center. I'm going to to out on a limb here and predict this area for the next real estate hot spot.
Things are turning around out here. A builder from Charlotte built an apartment complex in Kings Mountain last year. They came back to the city council this summer requesting to expand the complex because there is a waiting list of almost 500 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:16 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,185 times
If you're thinking more about appreciation in the future than cheap living today, I'd look in Belmont or Mount Holly. But Gastonia is crawling back. I thought the downtown looked derelect and decaying a dozen years ago, and there were closed factories all around. It really had the feel of a "rust belt" city.

As they say in stock market terms, "the weak hands have been shaken out". It's not going to be a place with fast appreciation - but it's been through a long bottoming process and you can buy fundamental value.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
If you're thinking more about appreciation in the future than cheap living today, I'd look in Belmont or Mount Holly. But Gastonia is crawling back. I thought the downtown looked derelect and decaying a dozen years ago, and there were closed factories all around. It really had the feel of a "rust belt" city.

As they say in stock market terms, "the weak hands have been shaken out". It's not going to be a place with fast appreciation - but it's been through a long bottoming process and you can buy fundamental value.
Sleepy Poet is opening another location in downtown Gastonia.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,428 times
Thank you everyone. We've found a place just outside of Gastonia to the north east. Near exit twenty. Neighborhood is Northwood Acres, I believe. We're going to be living there long term, so hopefully the area enjoys more growth. We were lucky to find everything we needed in a home with some privacy thats on city water. Gotta love a luck find. And I think we're ten minutes to a target, so I'm pretty happy. Haha.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:37 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgold019 View Post
Thank you everyone. We've found a place just outside of Gastonia to the north east. Near exit twenty. Neighborhood is Northwood Acres, I believe. We're going to be living there long term, so hopefully the area enjoys more growth. We were lucky to find everything we needed in a home with some privacy thats on city water. Gotta love a luck find. And I think we're ten minutes to a target, so I'm pretty happy. Haha.
Congrats! That looks to be a very nice area, in a great location. Though it's a little bit of a ride, be sure to check out Kyle Fletcher's in Lowell.

I am not a huge BBQ guy, but Kyle Fletcher's ribs...can't imagine BBQ being any tastier

Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAdviceSought View Post
Gastonia has a pretty well established reputation for being not so nice and having a drug issue. Like a 180 from Matthews. Is your work located out there?
And who "established" that reputation? Do you live here or have lived here? I do. The majority of the city is actually really nice. The greatest people on Earth. One of the easiest commutes to Charlotte. Lots to do. It just amazes me when people people proclaim these "well established" opinions (not facts) with no backing except stereotyping, lol.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:45 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
And who "established" that reputation? Do you live here or have lived here? I do. The majority of the city is actually really nice. The greatest people on Earth. One of the easiest commutes to Charlotte. Lots to do. It just amazes me when people people proclaim these "well established" opinions (not facts) with no backing except stereotyping, lol.
Please let them stick to their stereotypes, lest more people move here .

Old 05-01-2017, 01:35 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgold019 View Post
We'd have rather stayed in Matthews, but it was just too pricey for what we needed in a home and our budget. We will be a bit closer to the airport where I work, which is what partially drew us to Gastonia. The home we're looking at is out between 279 and 85. Closer to Gastonia than Dallas. We also have family history in the area. Thank you, Southbound. I checked and sure enough, we fall right in North Gaston's district. I'll double check in the providers. I have duke now, so it'd certainly be an easy switch.
Your big trade off for more affordable living in Gastonia, aka Gtown, is high drug users (meth & heroin) ALL THROUGHOUT THE AREA. I also left South Park area in Charlotte when rents went over $1000./month and found a nice place in South Gastonia. Now that we are settled, we find our neighborhood has a side street that goes into a MH park where the traffic only stops after 2am and begins again at 6am. I counted 157 vehicles come/go in a 4 hr weekend period and some so frequently I know who they are by the sound of their mufflerless vehicles...or the blasting music. I guess the Police dont know or care as it is quite obvious what is going on to neighbors.
From what I know, it is the same in Statesville, Kannapolis, Salisbury, York, SC...as we live on the major drug trafficing corridors...85-40-77. So, good luck, but EVERY part of these cities has drugs, as the DEA has upset the opioid user basket and didnt help those users get OFF the drugs, so they found cheaper, more addictive ones.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Your big trade off for more affordable living in Gastonia, aka Gtown, is high drug users (meth & heroin) ALL THROUGHOUT THE AREA. I also left South Park area in Charlotte when rents went over $1000./month and found a nice place in South Gastonia. Now that we are settled, we find our neighborhood has a side street that goes into a MH park where the traffic only stops after 2am and begins again at 6am. I counted 157 vehicles come/go in a 4 hr weekend period and some so frequently I know who they are by the sound of their mufflerless vehicles...or the blasting music. I guess the Police dont know or care as it is quite obvious what is going on to neighbors.
From what I know, it is the same in Statesville, Kannapolis, Salisbury, York, SC...as we live on the major drug trafficing corridors...85-40-77. So, good luck, but EVERY part of these cities has drugs, as the DEA has upset the opioid user basket and didnt help those users get OFF the drugs, so they found cheaper, more addictive ones.
You dug up a 6 month old thread to post that? If you are in the city limits, report it to Gastonia PD, if your allegation is true. If not call the Gaston County sheriff. If you think that nothing will happen you are sadly mistaken. Kings Mountain PD conducts busts & they are frequently joined by Gaston County PD, the Cleveland County sheriff, & the Gaston County sheriff.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-01-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 PM

28 posts, read 34,140 times
Please please please dont move down here. I hate it here. Racism constantly like i cant walk in the mall without a look getting thown at me. The mall here in Gastonia is dead. Gastonia is dead to. The downtown has pretty much nothing left. Franklin is a nightmare to drive on. Please dont make the same mistake i did. If anywhere go to Asheville Or Charlotte people there are way nicer but it may be hard to find a job in Gastonia jut saying. All the jobs are in Charlotte and driving there is a nightmare. Im moving to Florida on Friday because i lived here in Gastonia. This city is depressing,the people are rude if your a different color,the people are very dead to. Like for real!! The people here are like zombies they are so dead. And trust me soon you will be to moving down here. I have to admit just being here made me depressed. Dont move HERE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte