Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 50,090 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am finishing up my last semester of college and going to be moving to Charlotte in August from Madison, WI. I am coming with my girlfriend to visit Charlotte March 15th-18th to get a little more familiar of the area, look at housing options and to get out of the artic weather. I would like to find places to go where I can enjoy the mountains and/or beach (We have rented a car). Also, my girlfriend is wanting to check out the schools for a possible teaching job (if she likes the city, which I think/hoping she will). I would appreciate any help whether it has to do with the schools, job opportunities, housing, places to go, things to do or whatever anybody would like me to know about Charlotte.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBadger View Post
Hi everybody,

I am finishing up my last semester of college and going to be moving to Charlotte in August from Madison, WI. I am coming with my girlfriend to visit Charlotte March 15th-18th to get a little more familiar of the area, look at housing options and to get out of the artic weather. I would like to find places to go where I can enjoy the mountains and/or beach (We have rented a car). Also, my girlfriend is wanting to check out the schools for a possible teaching job (if she likes the city, which I think/hoping she will). I would appreciate any help whether it has to do with the schools, job opportunities, housing, places to go, things to do or whatever anybody would like me to know about Charlotte.

Thanks for the help!
You will LOVE Charlotte. It is about the size of Milwaukee. Probably a little larger to be honest with you. Charlotte is 2hrs away from the mountains and ski slopes (and they are getting 6-10 inches of snow today) and about 3 1/2 hrs from the beach.

Charlotte is a medium-large city that offers something for just about everyone. Professional Sports, Nightlife, great Restaurants, festivals & concerts and other entertainment.

As far as where to live...depends on your budget. Charlotte is not cheap. Depends on if you are looking for living in the suburbs or in an urban area in the Uptown area. There is a wide range of areas and wide range of prices.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM

I will be working downtown, very close to the Bobcats Arena, and think I probably would like to get a place that isn't more then 20-30 minutes away. I think my budget right now is around the 800 range but it is still real flexible.

Does anybody know much about the school districts in Charlotte?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
I will be working downtown, very close to the Bobcats Arena, and think I probably would like to get a place that isn't more then 20-30 minutes away. I think my budget right now is around the 800 range but it is still real flexible.

There is one school district in Charlotte - it is countywide. Your girlfriend can check out the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools website for info.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Ok thanks, i think she has already looked at the website and started to fill out the applications. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

You will find a one bedroom apartment in that price range closer to uptown, not a home. A good place for you to check out would be the South Park area - the commute to uptown is the kind you are looking for and the area is very nice. There are more affordable apartments if you go further out but then the commute isn't as good.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 PM

161 posts, read 464,524 times
Default Hi

Hi Love Mountains: This is me Nancy. I have written you emails and left you a voicemail but you never call back. How are you doing?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
Hi Love Mountains: This is me Nancy. I have written you emails and left you a voicemail but you never call back. How are you doing?
We just talked last week I am not often on email, sorry I just got yours earlier today and was tardy in responding. To help the poster on this thread why don't you tell him about your new apartment? He wants a good commute to uptown and your new place is certainly convenient! Glad to hear you got in there, btw.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the responses, I would love any more input if anybody has one.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
As a fellow former Badger, you will love the weather in Charlotte. It was great to pack up the parka for good. There is a lot of good advice on this site, too. You will find lots to do indoors and out all year. You'll have to trade in your ice fishing gear, but so far for us it's worth it. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: