Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

I'm looking up some things and I have a few concerns. NC has a yearly prop tax on your cars? I'm assuming based on the value of the car? This worries me as we have a new 2016 Rouge. Do we have to take it in every year to be assessed and then we get the bill?

Also is 485 for sure going to be tolled? My husband would be driving from Huntersville area to Downtown (near the airport) and 485 will be his best bet. I'm fearing thats going to get expensive.

I'm hearing a lot that prices on homes are shooting up really fast there and its not becoming as affordable as it was. We are coming from an extremely expensive part of Fla and the point of us moving there was to be able to actually buy a first home ($200,000 or less) and its not seeming possible anymore. Any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Yes, you do pay personal property tax on your car's. You don't need to have it assessed each year the state has their own calculation. I haven't heard that 485 is going to become a toll road. 77 will at some point. Where did you hear 485?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:17 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,194 times
There are a lot of differences in FL vs NC. Yes, you have to pay property taxes on your vehicles. You also have to have your vehicles inspected each year. But, the premiums on your auto insurance will be half of what they are in Florida. You also have to pay state taxes, which you don't pay in Florida. Your property taxes will depend on the value of your house, county and city taxes. Because of where our house is located, our taxes on the same value of house is about the same as it was in Florida.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,490 times
I found that property taxes in NC were about half of what we paid in FL. But of course there is the income tax.

Your toll road question is a bit confusing. There are plans to toll portions of both I-77 and I-485. For a Huntersville to downtown commute, I-77 is going to have 2 free lanes and 2 toll lanes, starting next year. Going to the airport from Huntersville you'd be better off on I-485, and there are no plans right now to toll the section of I-485 between Huntersville and the airport. The toll lanes are planned on the southern section around Ballentyne, and like I-77, there will be free lanes as well as toll lanes.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
There are a lot of differences in FL vs NC. Yes, you have to pay property taxes on your vehicles. You also have to have your vehicles inspected each year. But, the premiums on your auto insurance will be half of what they are in Florida. You also have to pay state taxes, which you don't pay in Florida. Your property taxes will depend on the value of your house, county and city taxes. Because of where our house is located, our taxes on the same value of house is about the same as it was in Florida.
Our car insurance actually went up when quoted from FL to NC. Significantly actually. Around $100 a mo. No accidents or tickets ever for myself nor my husband either. We knew about income taxes and vehicle inspection. We did that in NH too. That's not a lot of $ though.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I found that property taxes in NC were about half of what we paid in FL. But of course there is the income tax.

Your toll road question is a bit confusing. There are plans to toll portions of both I-77 and I-485. For a Huntersville to downtown commute, I-77 is going to have 2 free lanes and 2 toll lanes, starting next year. Going to the airport from Huntersville you'd be better off on I-485, and there are no plans right now to toll the section of I-485 between Huntersville and the airport. The toll lanes are planned on the southern section around Ballentyne, and like I-77, there will be free lanes as well as toll lanes.
Thanks for clarifying . We had planned on living near Huntersville and my husbands job will be downtown near the airport actually.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:54 PM

22 posts, read 37,689 times
lived in Miami and my 1300sq townhouse taxes were a bit higher than what I currently pay for a 3400 sqft house here. Yes you have car taxes here but insurance is way less here, I would say 1/2 with the cars I buy. If I can recall NC has some of the cheapest car insurance. In South Florida 1 in ever 15 cars are stolen! I had 2 stolen, so insurance is much higher than here. I currently live in cabarrus county and taxes are much cheaper in Iredell (Mooresville) or Waxhax area so you have north side and south side of Charlotte area you can look at if taxes is a deciding factor in your search.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM

68 posts, read 71,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Thanks for clarifying . We had planned on living near Huntersville and my husbands job will be downtown near the airport actually.
The CLT airport is not near uptown. At all.

From Huntersville to the airport, on 485, is about 20-30 minutes. No tolls are planned on that section of 485.

Huntersville to Uptown (where there is no airport) on 77 can be an hour or more, depending on time of day. Optional toll lanes are in the process of being built, completion ~ 2018.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 AM

501 posts, read 529,042 times
I moved here from Florida. It is cheaper here. In Florida, I had to have expensive flood insurance which was very expensive, property taxes were about 30 percent higher in Florida of course it depends on where in Florida you live. I lived in the panhandle where taxes were lower. Car insurance is cheaper in N.C. When I live in Florida, I had to pay for garbage pick up as it wasn't part of the water bill as it is here. I also had to pay a condo HOA fee that was $400 per month which is unheard of in these parts. Additionally, utility bills are cheaper here. Granted, you do pay N.C. income taxes unless you qualify for some exemption. Personally, I found it significantly cheaper up here. No regrets.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Mama View Post
The CLT airport is not near uptown. At all.

From Huntersville to the airport, on 485, is about 20-30 minutes. No tolls are planned on that section of 485.

Huntersville to Uptown (where there is no airport) on 77 can be an hour or more, depending on time of day. Optional toll lanes are in the process of being built, completion ~ 2018.
Thats about my husbands commute now (one way) so not much is changing for us in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte