Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 19,830 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am taking a new job that will be located in Pineville, NC in about 3 months, and am researching the best places to live. I've read lots of posts about the advantages of NC vs SC, and the various types of communities, but I'm still very torn. The most important things to us are a short commute (<20m), good childcare/schools (kids are ages 1y and 3y), and a great neighborhood with amenities like pool, walking trails, parks - huge plus if it's also walking distance to shops and restaurants. We also really want a smaller (2000-2500sf), yet updated home in the $250k-$350k range. It seems like almost everything I can find in that price range is bigger than we want and builder-grade. I've lived through 2 major remodels and definitely don't want to do it again!!

So my questions - what do you think about living in Pineville? From what I can tell, it's a very small community, and there's not many homes for sale, but seems close to everything. Second, is anyone familiar with the McCollough neighborhood - new John Weiland development? It would be an amazing 4-minute commute, and it seems to have great amenities.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I LOVE Pineville. I've lived here for about 4 years now. Was thinking about moving to Ballantyne but I don't wanna.

I'm sorry I can't comment on housing and schools, but the area is quite nice. There is a daycare on Park Cedar. I passed there one day and there were parents and kids coming out with balloons and what not. Maybe end of year activities, but it seemed to be a lot of people so I'm thinking it's a popular daycare.

The area is very diverse. There's black, white, young, old. A nice melting pot.

There's restaurants and shops all over. Carolina Place Mall is in the immediate vicinity. There's a mall on South Blvd about 5 minutes away that has a Target, all kinds of stores. Post office nearby. Lots of shops and restaurants along Pineville-Matthews rd. However, I'm not sure if it would be considered walkable. P-M is a major roadway; don't think you'd want to walk along there.

For grocery, the closests are Food Lion, Walmart, Bi-Lo. Harris teeters are about 10 minutes away in any direction.

I love that it's smack dab in between Ballantyne and South Park bc I love both areas. It's about 10 minutes from Ballantyne and about 15 minutes from South Park. Both areas have shops and restaurants.

I haven't experience any crime since living here, but you might want to check the crime maps. Other posters may be able to give more information.

The traffic does get backed up around rush hour and on the weekends, but with a four minute commute you should be ok.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:45 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Downtown Pineville has landed some nice new restaurants. Global and Pintville Craft Beer are two of my favorite new adds.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Pineville would be a good choice given the work location, but not sure if there is much for sale with your criteria.

I'd guess the most common suggestion will be Fort Mill just over the border in SC which has some of the most often recommended schools in the area. I think Baxter Village meets all your criteria as long as you're okay with a small yard, but would likely be at the top of your price point, unless you're willing to go even smaller than 2000 square feet (and I don't think many people would consider 2500 sq feet small :-) ). Another option could be Regent Park, but more of the homes might be a little dated at this point and while there's a little shopping center at the entrance to the neighborhood it might be a tough walk from much of it.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Pineville would be a good choice given the work location, but not sure if there is much for sale with your criteria.

I'd guess the most common suggestion will be Fort Mill just over the border in SC which has some of the most often recommended schools in the area.
Food for thought re: schools. Most ranking sites rank a school relative to all other schools in the state. South Carolina ranks 50th in education in the country vs. North Carolina at 21st:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Springfield Elementary is a 9/10 in South Carolina and in Fort Mill just across from Pineville. 49% of students are proficient in reading at Springfield. This ranks high in SC because the state average for elementary schools is a 32%. 62% are proficient in math, which is very favorable compared to a SC state average of 51%.

At Pineville Elementary (where the neighborhood you are looking attends), it ranks a 7/10 in North Carolina. 51% of students are proficient in reading (higher than Springfield), but Pineville is lower than the NC state average of 57%. NC in general has better schools throughout the state so the average in the state is higher. In math, 53% are proficient in math at Pineville, which is below the NC state average of 58%.

So Springfield's scores aren't mind blowing... it is just relative to South Carolina's other elementary schools it is very good and gets a 9/10. Pineville Elementary's test scores are pretty comparable, but because NC has higher ranking schools, it ends up at a 7/10. We can't make an apples to apples comparison due to different tests, but SC in general has lower performing schools. At the end of the day, just be aware the ranking sites are vs. other schools in the state not just other schools nationwide (until you get to high school and they have ACT/ AP/ SAT data).

You are going to also find AP competitiveness higher on the NC side. At Fort Mill High, 19% of students took an AP test vs. 32% at South Meck High and 47% at Ardrey Kell (two nearby schools in Charlotte schools, Pineville attends South Meck). Clemson is SC's most selective public school at 51% so you don't need as many AP tests to be accepted. In NC, UNC Chapel Hill's acceptance rate is at 26%, NC state is at 43%, Western Carolina is at 40%, NC Central is at 43%, etc... so you have to take a bit more AP classes just to get into a good public university.

Last edited by CLT4; 05-30-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 AM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
Pay attention to the middle schools if you plan on staying that long. Quail Hollow MS is notoriously low-scoring compared to other MS in the area. It's the only thing that kept us out of the Pineville area.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Pay attention to the middle schools if you plan on staying that long. Quail Hollow MS is notoriously low-scoring compared to other MS in the area. It's the only thing that kept us out of the Pineville area.
Agree, Quail Hollow is below average when split by cohort as well. That might be a time when the OP looks into one of the CMS school choice options and magnet programs.

Schools – CMS School Choice

Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
I live in Ballantyne but really like Pineville. My son plays baseball at PCAA (Pineville Community Athletic Association) and it is fantastic. Great group of kids/parents where fun is the main goal.

Also really enjoy downtown Pineville. Jack Hughes Park is a really nice area and downtown Pineville is a great place to grab a drink.

Having said all that, the house you are describing is just over the border in Fort Mill.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 19,830 times
Thanks, everyone! Lots of great thoughts. Still liking the sounds of Pineville, although maybe we'll have to be more flexible on the house price and walkability. Yes, I agree 2,500 isn't exactly "small". Our former house was a ridiculous 4400 sf so comparatively, 2000-2500 seems small. We could go smaller with a good floor plan. I never want a big house again! More time with family, less time cleaning and maintaining.

I will definitely check our Fort Mill as well and weigh all of the options. I've seen lots of good things in the forums about Fort Mill.

I had also seen that the middle school was questionable. I don't think we will be in town for more than 5-7 years, before that's an issue, however with so much growth, I imagine they'd need to address the school issue eventually.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:11 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
I think Fort Mill is overrated. It is a nice town, but those are my thoughts ...

As to Pineville: rush hour traffic is terrible. Thankfully, the volume of traffic is largely confined to rush hour. I find the traffic so unpleasant as to be a factor as to whether I'd live in Pineville, or not - but that's me .

Thankfully - and this is a HUGE plus - Pineville is in a perfect geographic location; close to shopping, major highways, and close to the light rail. (And because the infrastructure in Charlotte is lacking, location in Charlotte is key...Pineville has excellent access to a lot).

I find the park system, overall, is better in NC than in SC. Jack Hughes park is a nice place to spend some time, and it offers enough such that I never tire of it.

(The lack of) safety has never been a concern of mine in Pineville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte