Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 48,259 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! I am new to this site so I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed yet. I will be moving to Charlotte from San Diego (which I'm very excited about) for a job opportunity. I will be working in Monroe, but would rather live closer to the city of Charlotte (more to do, etc.) I am looking for a safe neighborhood that is diverse, well maintained, fairly young (I'm 23) population and close to work. A couple of people have told me about Ballantyne and said that its a pretty new area (which I like). I also heard about Matthews. I was wondering if I could get any more opinions on a good area to move to.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,993 times
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but Ballantyne (in addition to being expensive) is not my idea of diverse, and neither is Matthews. Having said that, I'm a newbie in town myself, so take that with a grain of salt, and I'm sorry I can't recommend anywhere else because I've only been here six months.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM

29 posts, read 142,298 times
I'm in Huntersville and love it. Relatively well mixed, nice area/people, lots of other transplants, things to do nearby and close to Charlotte(15 minutes). Check out area near Birkdale village.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
odu

40 posts, read 117,181 times
No, I do not consider Ballantyne diverse at all, considering how diverse the overall city is. I'm a young african american and I used to live on the south side and hated it because there was no diversity at all. I moved to the University area which is extremely diverse. But I do think Matthews is more diverse than Ballantyne. The most diverse area in Charlotte in my opinion is University area. That area has really been growing. If your looking to rent, try to stay around Harris/Mallard Creek. I loved the University area. A lot of newcomers move to University because of its diversity.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM

64 posts, read 371,974 times
I agree with the others and will add something else. You will be BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND at 23 in Ballantyne. I am assuming you are single, and that you make a decent living. There are many areas that will suit you better. Try closer to Uptown(I think that is where the younger, professional crowd tend to live).

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Oh no! lol I was really excited about the area (based on the internet). But its understandable....the net can be kinda deceiving sometimes. So is the university area near Monroe at all? Are the apartments in the area comparable as far as being nice?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM

I was looking at Uptown too....but it just looked a little out of the way and I HATE traffic, so I'm not really sure what direction I would be traveling in the mornings. I love the downtown vibe so I will check that area out as well. I will be looking for an apartment towards the end of April and moving officially at the beginning of May. And yes I'm single and would appreciate living near other singles!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM

64 posts, read 371,974 times
Actually, Ballantyne is a very nice area. If you were 30+, married, and possibly a kid, you would fit in perfectly. Houses start around 400K (maybe a little more/less). There are town homes too but it does not strike me as a popular place for single 20 somethings.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,129 times
Try the University/NE area. Nice area, very diverse in a good way. 10 min to Uptown, Huntersville, Concord, NODA. 15 min to South Park area.

I'm a late 30's AA woman. New to Charlotte also, but if you are 23, Matthews would not be my choice at all!!! If you were married with kids, maybe... otherwise, no.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,754,249 times
I would definitely recommend the University Area. Some developments aren't as nice as others, so my advice would be to "not go cheap" on the rent.

As an alternative location, and just so you don’t restrict yourself to looking in just one part of town, I would also suggest you look down in the Steel Creek area of South Charlotte (far S. Tryon Street area). You’ll find a good number of African-American professionals in that area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte