Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times

Advertisements

The beauty of the solar eclipse isn't the image of the eclipse itself but the light that reaches the earth. It has a different quality at different stages of the eclipse. Forget about looking at the sky. Look at the world around you.

Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:48 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Is anyone who lives north of Charlotte and works in or south of Charlotte planning on leaving extra early on Monday? I hear traffic warnings and see the electronic signs, but I wonder if we're being "Y2K'd" about the traffic. I guess there is not much precedent to base guesses on.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,631,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I heard a bit ago that they had 1000 to give away but people have been lined up since early this morning for them.
Some people are kind of pitiful. I work at a store that sells welding helmets and lenses and people have been calling all week about them.

Some things to remember:

- Don't wait until the last minute to get something like this

- If you miss it, the world is not going to end. Life will go on, really, it will.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:52 PM

82 posts, read 188,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Also someone posted on a local board about an hour ago that there is a kiosk at Carolina Place mall that still had some this afternoon.
I got a pair at the Kiosk in the Northlake Mall this morning. Downstairs.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:31 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Guys, lean back in the foxhole.

There will be a billion, or maybe even a brazillion, pictures of the eclipse. Looking through some opaque glasses will make it no more or no less real. The only reason this eclipse is such a big deal is that it transits the entire US. But your glasses will not show you that.

R E L A X!
What's the point of ever leaving the house in that case? Why not just stay inside and search Google for images of anything you'd like to do? "Oh man, I'd love a steak. Google, show me an image of a ribeye!", sorry, that's just not the same!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Wolf Howl: Let me know how that eclipse tastes. Steak tastes good!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
People on my nextdoor dot com are paying upwards of $20 for eclipse glasses! What a bunch of crazies. It's going to look the very same as it does on TV.

I plan on sitting on the screen porch and enjoying the eclipse. I'll watch the rest on TV.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM

364 posts, read 635,459 times
Someone was at the Walmart in Huntersville selling them out of the car/suv today. I think their sign said $10. I have no clue if they are the real deal as I wasn't interested.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
WBTV has been pushing something that they're connected to at the Schiele.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Wolf Howl: Let me know how that eclipse tastes. Steak tastes good!
It was actually quite amazing! Got to visit a quaint town in SC (Whitmire), meet plenty of like minded folks, walk their "downtown" and talk to locals who were amazed at the number of people in their tiny town but excited to see them. Put some money into their local economy via drinks and ice cream. Saw a guy that lived next to the park we were at bring a pop up tent out and setup for anyone to use to get out of the sun and then later brought a can of bug spray out for those out there so got to see the good side of humanity today which has been a rarity lately.

And that's all before the eclipse even got started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte