Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM

64 posts, read 77,686 times

Advertisements

Thank you. For those neighborhoods some added within Charlotte proper (Barclay Downs, Woodbridge, Olde Providence and others), can I rule any out that don't have top public schools? Would also prefer a nice size yard but still close enough to neighbors to get to know them. Or am I better off in the burbs for $300-$400k? I know I'll have to compromise somewhere, so trying to understand what I have to compromise in each location. (Sounds like commute for huntersville and fort mills).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorbal View Post
Thank you. For those neighborhoods some added within Charlotte proper (Barclay Downs, Woodbridge, Olde Providence and others), can I rule any out that don't have top public schools? Would also prefer a nice size yard but still close enough to neighbors to get to know them. Or am I better off in the burbs for $300-$400k? I know I'll have to compromise somewhere, so trying to understand what I have to compromise in each location. (Sounds like commute for huntersville and fort mills).
No. The schools are great and yards are large. But, if you're set on fort mills you can move there like the rest of uninformed transplants though.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Lots of great people in Fort Mill btw. Just look in town in addition to whatever suburb you consider.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 PM

85 posts, read 139,014 times
Why not Stallings? Quaint little town, highly desirable real estate, great schools. Union County taxes and easy access to Charlotte proper.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 AM

751 posts, read 934,123 times
Just pay attention to the school ratings for the neighborhoods near South Park. The ES/MS/HS assignments are all mixed (meaning kids graduating from one middle schools will disperse to 2-3 different high schools based on where they live).

Try & avoid Quail Hollow middle and Huntingtowne Elementary in that area.

"Nice size yard" is still relative. Most any single family home will still have space to kick a soccer ball with your kids. But they won't be 1/2 acre lots.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorbal View Post
The hardest thing for living in Charlotte city limits will be finding something in your price range. The south Charlotte wedge that has proximity to Uptown / activities and the combination of good schools results in some of the most expensive real estate in the area.

For example, there are only 6 single family homes in the Cotswold Elementary boundaries listed under $400k. There are only 6 in the Beverly Woods Elementary boundaries under $400k, etc... most of the listing under $400k are going to be smaller (1,500-2,200 square feet) and need some love/work. Your best bet is probably the Olde Providence area, but home values are quickly appreciating and approaching average selling prices north of $400k.

Meanwhile some of the outer suburbs have 3,000 square feet houses that are $380k and 6 years old. The further location results in a longer commute in some cases, less restaurants, etc... but a bigger house for less.

Only you can make the decision for what is important to you.

Suburbs like Belmont are probably a good fit for your budget. I really love being in proximity to SouthPark, etc... and encourage people to look in Charlotte limits as well, but realize that most of the neighborhoods are no longer obtainable for somebody with a sub $400k budget.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 AM

This is all just the kind of info I needed thank you so much! Looking forward to visiting again in November!

Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 16,736 times
Hi, I agree with BC1960, Charlotte have plenty of nice neighborhoods. I live in the Blakeney area, where you have great shopping, dining, many very active neighborhoods and absolutely a small town feel to it. You'll find house prices from $250k and up to $1000k. The commute to uptown in morning and evening traffic is about 45 min but 30 with no traffic. You can also park your car at the Light Train station and take train to uptown. I love this area just because on Friday and Saturday evenings you'll meet your friends at Blakeney and do a takeout dinner from any of the restaurants around you. Bring your chairs and sit down and listen to some nice live music and see children run and around and have fun.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:35 AM

Wow Msclt2011, that sounds right up our alley!! I'll check out that area for sure thank you!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM

184 posts, read 244,548 times
Taxes are cheaper in Cabarrus county rather than Mecklenburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte