Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Charlotte Observer has had a lot to say on this Amazon topic.

Amazon HQ2 shortlist snubbed Charlotte for similar cities | Charlotte Observer
It boils down to no tech talent and a third tier public university that bills itself as "The M.I.T. of the South" that can't supply thelevel or numbers of the demand.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
It boils down to no tech talent and a third tier public university that bills itself as "The M.I.T. of the South" that can't supply thelevel or numbers of the demand.
Charlotte has tech talent and actually has more than a few cities that made the list; it also has better transit and a better airport than those cities. I think where things went awry is higher ed (and no, UNCC doesn't bill itself as the MIT of the South) and the bid itself.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,463 times
Its way less complicated to me then most are making it. Amazon gave a rfp for everything it wanted. But that didnt mean everything on that list held equal importance. Clearly the tech and education were being weighed as more important then transit or the airport. Transit is being worked on and RDU is a plenty serviceable airport with plans already in place to take on much more growth. So why have two finalists from the same state if one was stronger in the things or more importance to Amazon. Its not that Indianapolis or Columbus or Nashville are way better choices then Charlotte either its just that RDU would have already been the pick should they go with NC anyways.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:23 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Its way less complicated to me then most are making it. Amazon gave a rfp for everything it wanted. But that didnt mean everything on that list held equal importance. Clearly the tech and education were being weighed as more important then transit or the airport. Transit is being worked on and RDU is a plenty serviceable airport with plans already in place to take on much more growth. So why have two finalists from the same state if one was stronger in the things or more importance to Amazon. Its not that Indianapolis or Columbus or Nashville are way better choices then Charlotte either its just that RDU would have already been the pick should they go with NC anyways.
I agree. Tech companies have been going to the Research Triangle area over Charlotte for decades. I can't quite understand why this is such a surprise.

Also most major universities are funded heavily through their athletics department. Is Charlotte willing to give up on Duke and Chapel Hill to support the Athletics of local colleges so we can compete in the future? The short answer is NO!!!

Old 01-23-2018, 04:07 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
I don't think anyone listened to Mike Collins on WFAE 90.7 this morning. There was a very good discussion of the subject.

urbancharlotte makes a good point. UNCC tossed out forty-six million clams to build a stadium that students aren't interested enough to fill. (It was originally estimated to cost 25 million). Then there's another eleven million annually for upkeep. That's a lot of money to pour into an activity that the student body isn't even interested in being a part of. (In 2015, it reduced the number of seats allotted to students).

It's an old bulletin, but i doubt anything has changed:

SGA approves Student Ticketing Allocation for 2015 season : Niner Times

Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Say the "M.I.T. of the South" ain't so. It just can't be!

Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Link or proof?

Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone listened to Mike Collins on WFAE 90.7 this morning. There was a very good discussion of the subject.

urbancharlotte makes a good point. UNCC tossed out forty-six million clams to build a stadium that students aren't interested enough to fill. (It was originally estimated to cost 25 million). Then there's another eleven million annually for upkeep. That's a lot of money to pour into an activity that the student body isn't even interested in being a part of. (In 2015, it reduced the number of seats allotted to students).

It's an old bulletin, but i doubt anything has changed:

SGA approves Student Ticketing Allocation for 2015 season : Niner Times
Umm, Urbancharlotte's point is the exact opposite of the point you appear to be making. And his point is wrong. Universities are not heavily funding academics via athletic money.

UNC-C started a football program in order to be able offer students a more complete college experience, and thus recruit more and higher quality students. Its a proven strategy.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Umm, Urbancharlotte's point is the exact opposite of the point you appear to be making. And his point is wrong. Universities are not heavily funding academics via athletic money.

UNC-C started a football program in order to be able offer students a more complete college experience, and thus recruit more and higher quality students. Its a proven strategy.
"Heavily" might have been a strong word on my part. But it all trickles down into the same pot in many ways.

The real issue are the parents pushing for their kids to go to the school because of its sports team. And since a lot of dads pay tuition.... There you have it

Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
I agree with you.

Newark has gone through a dramatic renaissance and has a lot of downtown construction.

Not to mention, it's surrounded by some of the richest and most beautiful suburbs in the world. Do a ten mile search around Short Hills, NJ and don't waste your time with low-end stuff. Start with a minimum price of $3m and go to no maximum. You'll see homes that nothing in Charlotte can hold a candlestick to.

Also, for people on this forum who absurdly fret when a "high end" store closes in the Southpark mall because it "impacts" Charlotte's "prestige," the Short Hills Mall, located right near Newark, has a level of uber luxury that dwarfs Southpark.

Lastly, a few miles east of Newark on the West Bank of the Hudson River is Jersey City whose skyline dwarfs Charlotte's, and of course, on the east bank of the Hudson is the financial, cultural, and political capital of the world, and it's a nonstop ten minute train ride away.

People used to joke about Brooklyn, Queens, and Jersey City, all of which have 1,000' condos with multi-million dollar apartments under construction.

Newark's renaissance is next. Only fools laugh at Newark.
Last time I passed through Newark was a good twelve-fifteen or so years ago. I know Prudential has a presence in the City.

Maybe they have turned things around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed. I can only hope that neighborhoods like The Ironbound retain their local flavor during the revitalization/gentrification process.
Speaking of which, this was an interesting read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/r...rld-apart.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte