Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:54 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Here in 2018, this is not a racial issue, but a socio-economic one. There are some hard facts at play that are hard for many to look at. But unless we have a 100% truthful examination of this, the black community will continue to suffer. A 2013 Brookings Institute study found that if one does these 3 things (regardless of race), avoid unwed pregnancies, graduate from high school, and get a job, 98% will be out of poverty and 75% will be in the middle class. Sadly, the unwed pregnancy rate in the black community today is an eye-popping 73%. Just this stat alone is decimating the chances of upward mobility of the black community in general. On the other end of the spectrum, Asian Americans have much higher rates of 2-parent homes, graduation rates, and job market participation than the overall population; higher than even the white community. This is proof positive that a strong family and home are the keys to a successful life in Charlotte or anywhere else in America. Until this and other related issues are addressed as the core problems they are, the very community we say we care so much about will continue to go in a downward spiral.

Some fair points march2. We can disagree on the role of race - even though that's a fairly foundational point to disagree on. I can't see it as a non factor based on simply stating the year we live.

Instead of falling into a rabbit hole of debating whether racism exists and is still a factor harming people in Charlotte, we can agree that family stability is a key factor for success in any person's life.

The Charlotte opportunity task force report found the same to be true, as well as:
  • Early Care and Education
  • College and Career Readiness
  • Child and Family stability
There are 2 factors that cut across the 3 determinants:

1) impact of segregation
2) social capital - the relationships/networks people have access to connect them to opportunities

https://leadingonopportunity.org/wp-...ity-Report.pdf

The framing of the problem as only related to family stability makes it more convenient to ignore and chalk up plight entirely to personal choices and "the black community's problem". Many of the challenges facing poor black Charlotteans are not based on personal decisions. I suspect you may disagree with that.

Where we may also disagree is my belief that the black community's problem (or any community's problem) is all of Charlotte's problem. Once we agree on that point we can work to examine how many of our policies or behaviors contribute to helping/hurting Early Care and Education; College and Career readiness; and Child and family stability.

A big obstacle in this, is living in segregated neighborhoods, and now attending more segregated schools - I think building perspective and empathy for the "other" is more difficult can ever before. Many citizens simply have no idea about what it's like to grow up on the other side of town. And many are so quick to be defensive with "it's not MY fault" that the conversation isn't possible to have. We are also worse of for that. Ignoring the costs of living in a segregated community or attending segregated schools doesn't dilute the consequences. Consequences.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 03-28-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:14 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Here in 2018, this is not a racial issue, but a socio-economic one. There are some hard facts at play that are hard for many to look at. But unless we have a 100% truthful examination of this, the black community will continue to suffer. A 2013 Brookings Institute study found that if one does these 3 things (regardless of race), avoid unwed pregnancies, graduate from high school, and get a job, 98% will be out of poverty and 75% will be in the middle class. Sadly, the unwed pregnancy rate in the black community today is an eye-popping 73%. Just this stat alone is decimating the chances of upward mobility of the black community in general. On the other end of the spectrum, Asian Americans have much higher rates of 2-parent homes, graduation rates, and job market participation than the overall population; higher than even the white community. This is proof positive that a strong family and home are the keys to a successful life in Charlotte or anywhere else in America. Until this and other related issues are addressed as the core problems they are, the very community we say we care so much about will continue to go in a downward spiral.
As a black male, I've been saying for years that African American culture (the negative aspects of our culture) is what's holding us back. Some of the most successful and intelligent immigrants in this nation are Nigerians. That's right, NIGERIANS. They are by far among the highest percentage of black doctors, scientists, and engineers in the US.

Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S.

My message to African Americans (myself included). Gain some damn self respect for OURselves as intelligent members of human society, stop blaming white people, put on OUR work pants, and rise up out of poverty. Nuff said....

Old 03-28-2018, 11:26 AM

93,559 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As a black male, I've been saying for years that African American culture (the negative aspects of our culture) is what's holding us back. Some of the most successful and intelligent immigrants in this nation are Nigerians. That's right, NIGERIANS. They are by far among the highest percentage of black doctors, scientists, and engineers in the US.

My message to African Americans (myself included). Gain some damn self respect for OURselves as intelligent members of human society, stop blaming white people, put on OUR work pants, and rise up out of poverty. Nuff said....
Yes, I agree, but as the post above is essentially saying is that we can’t let things get “off the hook” and sadly our past still has an impact on our current society. Honestly, the break down of the family actually has a long history(off and on) for certain groups and it isn’t an accident. So, I think there may need to be a psychological aspect that has to be considered, along with that topic.

I also think the real focus should be on opportunity, regardless of demographics. Meaning, are needs being met in order to honestly succeed, no matter what the make up of the neighborhood is. I say this given this interesting article: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Old 03-28-2018, 11:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

this is a pretty basic solution. Most Nigerians move here and our the wealthiest or smartest people who take advantage of the opportunities given to them.

This is totally different than American Blacks who were born here. Folks want to say "the past is the past but it only 50 years ago where our people were getting hosed and beat for trying to go to schools in white areas.

In 50 years we have come a long way. Still have a ways to go but the whole bootstrap speech misses the point. The laws being changed really made it easy to desegregate schools and now you have folks moving into urban areas, raising the rent, housing price but they aren't going to public schools. If they went to the schools they were zoned to you can damn sure bet those schools would improve over time.

also, negative aspects in every culture hold some people back. That's not really saying much.

edit: and graduation rates for Blacks and Hispanics is out gaining whites these last few years. Not to compare but just trying to put perspective on the discussion/criticism. But I agree, we still have a ways to go

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...tes-is-closing

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 03-28-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 12:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also think the real focus should be on opportunity, regardless of demographics. Meaning, are needs being met in order to honestly succeed, no matter what the make up of the neighborhood is. I say this given this interesting article: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"
So when busing ended, wasn't it stated that magnet schools were supposed to be the solution to getting low-income students access to better schools?

Looking at the NC school report card data, it does appear that CMS has several successful magnet schools with diverse populations based on SES data (such as Cato Middle College, Harper Middle College, Berry Academy, NW School or the Arts, and Charlotte Engineering Early College). But I feel like I don't really hear much about these schools. Are they full? If not, does CMS need to do a better job of advertising them or improving access? If they are full, does CMS need more magnets?

Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
this is a pretty basic solution. Most Nigerians move here and our the wealthiest or smartest people who take advantage of the opportunities given to them.

This is totally different than American Blacks who were born here. Folks want to say "the past is the past but it only 50 years ago where our people were getting hosed and beat for trying to go to schools in white areas.

In 50 years we have come a long way. Still have a ways to go but the whole bootstrap speech misses the point. The laws being changed really made it easy to desegregate schools and now you have folks moving into urban areas, raising the rent, housing price but they aren't going to public schools. If they went to the schools they were zoned to you can damn sure bet those schools would improve over time.

also, negative aspects in every culture hold some people back. That's not really saying much.

edit: and graduation rates for Blacks and Hispanics is out gaining whites these last few years. Not to compare but just trying to put perspective on the discussion/criticism. But I agree, we still have a ways to go

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...tes-is-closing
The last time I checked, CMS was 40% black and 29% white. Back when Charlotte was a model for integrated schools, the system was 70% white; 30% black (Asians and Latinos were a non-issue back then). We are a different community today that requires different solutions. At best, we will only have 29 white kids out of 100 at every school today.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Some fair points march2. We can disagree on the role of race - even though that's a fairly foundational point to disagree on. I can't see it as a non factor based on simply stating the year we live.

Instead of falling into a rabbit hole of debating whether racism exists and is still a factor harming people in Charlotte, we can agree that family stability is a key factor for success in any person's life.

The Charlotte opportunity task force report found the same to be true, as well as:

1) impact of segregation
2) social capital - the relationships/networks people have access to connect them to opportunities

The framing of the problem as only related to family stability makes it more convenient to ignore and chalk up plight entirely to personal choices and "the black community's problem". Many of the challenges facing poor black Charlotteans are not based on personal decisions. I suspect you may disagree with that.

Where we may also disagree is my belief that the black community's problem (or any community's problem) is all of Charlotte's problem. Once we agree on that point we can work to examine how many of our policies or behaviors contribute to helping/hurting Early Care and Education; College and Career readiness; and Child and family stability.

A big obstacle in this, is living in segregated neighborhoods, and now attending more segregated schools - I think building perspective and empathy for the "other" is more difficult can ever before. Many citizens simply have no idea about what it's like to grow up on the other side of town. And many are so quick to be defensive with "it's not MY fault" that the conversation isn't possible to have. We are also worse of for that. Ignoring the costs of living in a segregated community or attending segregated schools doesn't dilute the consequences. Consequences.
I can honestly say we lucked up on buying in the East Meck HS district. We rented in Cotswold but couldn't afford to buy in that area. We weren't even thinking about schools when we bought but I like the diversity in my neighborhood. We have all shades on our street. Black/White/Latino/Middle Eastern/Ethiopian/Greek

Old 03-28-2018, 12:25 PM

571 posts, read 716,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

1) impact of segregation

Excellent post!

Old 03-29-2018, 07:36 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,106 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...lack-residents

Saw this article in Bloomberg

“Why Charlotte and Raleigh Work for Black Residents

The two North Carolina cities should serve as models for others to emulate”

Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...lack-residents

Saw this article in Bloomberg

“Why Charlotte and Raleigh Work for Black Residents

The two North Carolina cities should serve as models for others to emulate”
the wife was in Savannah GA and said the the city was struggling when it comes to Black outreach and programs.

One thing I will say is Charlotte has a great parks and rec centers. They do a lot of the community.

edit: just make sure you don't read the comment section, whew, I think someone must have linked to that story from a political website. It was all "libs, GOP, dems, yada, yada,"

I really don't like comment sections these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte