Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:23 AM

158 posts, read 411,743 times

Advertisements

People aren't that picky in this market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM

195 posts, read 538,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, OC, I have said this about 2 million times over 25 years. A house is worth whatever someone is willing to offer for it at any given time, LOL.
Excellent Point!
Not sure what part of Charlotte you are buying in, or how long the house has been on the market, but it is a buyer's market, so you would think they would be flexible.
The longer it sits the more likely they will start to understand the things that do "lessen people's interest".
Make sure you let us know what happens.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,418 times
Those items do effect the value of a home. I am not sure the depreciate is right to use, but Value is most certainly effected. Paint, Wallpaper and Flooring are costs that with good choices can increase a home value, poor choices can decrease. I looked at a house and could not get past the wallpaper. I am usually prettty good about looking past "cosmetic" items, but it would have cost me thousands of dollars to replace the gaudy flower wallper ALL over the HUGE house. In another a poor wood floor would have cost me $10,000 to replace, and guess what in an offer I was ready to make I took $10,000 off to cover that. Yard upkeep is a little tougher, if it just is weedy and needs moqing, but if it is damaged trees, no plants, and no grass, thats more money out the door.

I always look at it this way, you start at a base rate for size, rooms etc. and then add or subtract for yard size, location, upkeep, projects, cosmetics etc. Sometimes they add value. Trust me that if they put in super duper flooring, they would add to the price of their home to get their money back.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,588,533 times
Default Curb appeal

The first thing a realtor tells you when listing your home is "curb appeal". The nicer the lawn, fresh mulch, plants trimmed, fresh coat of paint on door, clean "welcome" mat and maybe new brass door handles.....when someone walks up the driveway or parks in front of the home, the first thing they see is the frontyard..........its part of the house..........if I saw a yard with bare spots, no landscaping, yucky mulch, and it had to be replaced, I'd sure as not offer less.......after all I would have to replace it to look good.

I'm in the process of replacing the front half of my lawn near the road, for that reason, OK I'm not going to pay for it, because my son owns a sod company, but still it makes the house look nice and I want my house to sell.
I always thought in my mind if the outside looks nice, the inside will be just as nice. Pride of ownership.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM

622 posts, read 1,783,464 times
It could be possible that the seller strictly adhered to the restrictions on watering and the yard suffered as a result.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM

158 posts, read 411,743 times
That's true but compassion doesn't usually come into house buying! Otherwise all those foreclosures would have sold first

Old 03-27-2008, 11:26 AM

206 posts, read 799,383 times
Sorry, I was gone this morning having fun with my dd. The yard is not just drought related. The front yard is nice enough but no irrigation for the lawn. The backyard has had nothing done to it at all. There is no irrigation plants the ground is covered with rocks and little tufts of grass sporadically placed. Most yards on the street have retaining walls because the yards are sloped and this is no exception. We had a landscaper come out to give us an estimate on making the yard more useable.

They put in a screen porch and it appears that they tossed the dirt they removed for that on to the rest of the yard. They think you should get dollar for dollar what they paid for the porch. This neighborhood has a 2 yr supply of homes that sit for ever.

We did offer low but they are way over the last comp and that house was a tiny bit bigger and had a landscaped yard. We offered based on the comps and what it would take to make the yard livable.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM

206 posts, read 799,383 times
Default Where is CJ

I have been interested in seeing his response. I love his tell it like it is attitude.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,154 times
From an appraiser's standpoint, landscaping does not add nor detract from the value of the home. It's value is in the marketability of the property. An acre of land is an acre of land, that's it. Neither does paint, wallpaper, etc. It only makes the home more attractive to a potential buyer.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM

348 posts, read 1,361,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
From an appraiser's standpoint, landscaping does not add nor detract from the value of the home. It's value is in the marketability of the property. An acre of land is an acre of land, that's it. Neither does paint, wallpaper, etc. It only makes the home more attractive to a potential buyer.
You posted EXACTLY what I was going to say. I work in real estate appraisal and even though these things effect how a potential buyer 'sees' the house, the actually value is not affected by these things at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: