Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM

9 posts, read 9,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in a subdivision in Matthews. Recently our neighbor added on to his garage.
We thought it was for storage at first, but he's actually opened a music school in it!

So there are cars and people coming and going all day and evening, parking in the street, blocking the mailboxes, etc. And the noise!!! Drums, electric guitars. All kinds of racket.

We moved to a cul-de-sac specifically to have a quiet life.

Before I have any kind of confrontation I thought I would find out first if this is legal.
I couldn't find anything in the town's various websites.

Would this be similar to, say, a barber shop or a massage parlor?
Where do I find the zoning info?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 04:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
In general, most zoning codes prohibit business activities in residential zoning. Most also allow very limited exemptions for what is generally referred to as a "home based business", however, this generally greatly limits, or prohibits, having customers come to one's house, etc.

Call the Town Planning Department at 704-847-4411 and explain to them whats going on. They will investigate and take appropriate action.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:56 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
In general, most zoning codes prohibit business activities in residential zoning. Most also allow very limited exemptions for what is generally referred to as a "home based business", however, this generally greatly limits, or prohibits, having customers come to one's house, etc.

Call the Town Planning Department at 704-847-4411 and explain to them whats going on. They will investigate and take appropriate action.
Absolutely correct! I may add, that business are normally divided into "active" and "passive". If you can document activity or additional neighborhood traffic, then it's "active" and probably illegal according to zoning regulations. If it is non-obtrusive, can't be detected by outside means, then it's "passive" and within the requirements of zoning regulations.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:10 PM

37 posts, read 38,261 times
Make sure you're in Matthews and not Stallings, Hemby Bridge, UC, or IT. The USPS mail offices have many addresses as Matthews just because they deliver from the Matthews PO.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
Make sure you're in Matthews and not Stallings, Hemby Bridge, UC, or IT. The USPS mail offices have many addresses as Matthews just because they deliver from the Matthews PO.
'cause most people don't know where they live....

Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
'cause most people don't know where they live....
It's true. How many people in unincorporated Union County think that they live in Waxhaw?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyQC View Post
Hello,

We live in a subdivision in Matthews. Recently our neighbor added on to his garage.
We thought it was for storage at first, but he's actually opened a music school in it!

So there are cars and people coming and going all day and evening, parking in the street, blocking the mailboxes, etc. And the noise!!! Drums, electric guitars. All kinds of racket.

We moved to a cul-de-sac specifically to have a quiet life.

Before I have any kind of confrontation I thought I would find out first if this is legal.
I couldn't find anything in the town's various websites.

Would this be similar to, say, a barber shop or a massage parlor?
Where do I find the zoning info?

Thanks!
Does your subdivision have a homeowners association?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Does your subdivision have a homeowners association?
It doesn't matter. An HOA can't contravene municipal ordinances, and the municipality has much greater enforcement authority than an HOA. There's no reason to involve an HOA.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
It's true. How many people in unincorporated Union County think that they live in Waxhaw?
Wonder who pays their tax bills?

Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM

334 posts, read 290,910 times
Default Mecklenburg County

A little misinformation is a dangerous thing.

This is what Mecklenburg County says about operating a business from the home:

http://charlottenc.gov/HNS/Code/Zoni...20Business.pdf

Note that the ordinance actually gives the HOA say in what kind of business can be run from the home.

Somewhere else in city/state ordinances there is a provision that the business may not create traffic or parking problems, and may not create a nuisance. I can't find that provision, but you may want to talk to City Hall or the police department. The noise disturbance may be enough to get the business shut down.

If they quiet down, if it appears that there are employees coming and going (non-family members) that could shut them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte