Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,719,685 times

Advertisements

Strawberry Hill Apartments: 4 Star Reviews from 194 people, managed by Marsh (excellent reputation).

2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with 1,280 square feet. Available for move in on June 30, 2018. $1,380 per month on a 12 month lease.

Unit 5411B SH, https://6979.onlineleasing.realpage.com/#k=32594

Reviews

Strawberry Hill is just 1 mile from the massive Levine Jewish Center off Providence Road. Just a 4 minute drive or 20 minute walk.
Levine Jewish Community Center, Charlotte, NC - Levine Jewish Community Center, Charlotte, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
You seem to be wanting a unicorn here.

You can find a 1300 sq. ft place, but it may be farther out than you expected, not as new or shiny, or an apartment until you actually get to wherever it is and develop a better plan.

Gastonia and Kings Mountain aren't fancy, but they're largely working to middle class areas. A lot of North Carolina and Tennessee outside of the urban cores and their immediate suburbs will look like that. If you truly think they're trashy/dumpy, then you probably need to reconsider the move altogether, or only live/hang out in the toniest areas, but then you'll run into budgetary constraints.

The synagogue in my local community is located in a relatively rural area of a very religious/politically conservative county. I've never heard of that synagogue having any problems. I can't imagine that you'd run into any problems in Knoxville, Greenville, or Charlotte proper at all unless you come in with a very hostile attitude.

The thing about the middle to major Southern cities is that most are live and let live. Most are purple to blue, but it isn't the "anything goes" liberalism you see on the West Coast. Churches are around, but the cities are not in your face with it. I live in a smaller, more conservative area, and it can be a bit overbeating. Larger cities aren't like that.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You seem to be wanting a unicorn here.

You can find a 1300 sq. ft place, but it may be farther out than you expected, not as new or shiny, or an apartment until you actually get to wherever it is and develop a better plan.

Gastonia and Kings Mountain aren't fancy, but they're largely working to middle class areas. A lot of North Carolina and Tennessee outside of the urban cores and their immediate suburbs will look like that. If you truly think they're trashy/dumpy, then you probably need to reconsider the move altogether, or only live/hang out in the toniest areas, but then you'll run into budgetary constraints.

The synagogue in my local community is located in a relatively rural area of a very religious/politically conservative county. I've never heard of that synagogue having any problems. I can't imagine that you'd run into any problems in Knoxville, Greenville, or Charlotte proper at all unless you come in with a very hostile attitude.

The thing about the middle to major Southern cities is that most are live and let live. Most are purple to blue, but it isn't the "anything goes" liberalism you see on the West Coast. Churches are around, but the cities are not in your face with it. I live in a smaller, more conservative area, and it can be a bit overbeating. Larger cities aren't like that.
Here's the thing with the comments about Kings Mountain & Gastonia. If (& it's a big if) the OP came eastbound from Tennessee on US 74, you might see a dozen buildings & houses in Kings Mountain, without taking business 74. If taking I 26 to Spartanburg to I 85 northbound, the only visible part of the town is a cluster of motels & fast food joints at exit 8, & you're on the interstate. I never suggested the town, just used it to denote the outer limit of the area served by the 2 major roads. I doubt that that was the route taken. That would leave either I 40 to 321 in Hickory to Gastonia. Since there's an entrance for I 85 before you actually get any distance into Gastonia, that probably wasn't the approach route, either. That takes us back to US 74 as the most likely route. That also would have him on West Franklin Blvd, which isn't nice & not representative of most of Gastonia, & is being rehabbed. Gastonia can be nice to very nice, in a lot of areas.

I've seen the comments on here plenty of times & I'm tired of it. But this time it's comments about places not explored & the denial of the presence of an interstate. Add in the repeated comments about the prices in Charlotte, nasty comments about the area that would be more affordable, all punctuated with saying that Knoxville might be a better choice, so I decided to agree with that. For that, I got lumped in with someone who told him off.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:17 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I cannot imagine any jewish person being happy in Tennessee. Its not that the people aee so bad, but it is a very religious Bible Belt state and life revolves around the Christian church. So, no i would not be happier in knoxville, but much more miserable.
Tennessee actually has two Jewish Congressional representatives - one Democrat and one Republican, both representing metro Memphis and surrounding areas in the western part of the state. Voters were absolutely aware of their faith and determined that was no obstacle to those individuals being the best choices for their respective districts.

I think for most migrants from the West Coast, the humidity will be more of a challenge than dealing with the religious dynamics. If the weather in early June is wearing you out, it will not get any easier most of the time until late September. Adequate hydration and wearing light clothing are key to staying comfortable in the Southern summer.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,842,078 times
Sorry, the cross country trip and stress of house hunting in an area I am totally new to and unfamiliar with has made me go a bit crazy and has stressed me out. I hope people can accept my apologies as I kind of was panicking and worrying that I may not find a place, etc. However, I have actually now viewed several houses and think I have figured out the system of how to find available rental houses in the Charlotte area and now have quite a few different properties to look at. I even applied at one place in Huntersville area which looked quite extravagant for the small rental tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've seen the comments on here plenty of times & I'm tired of it. But this time it's comments about places not explored & the denial of the presence of an interstate. Add in the repeated comments about the prices in Charlotte, nasty comments about the area that would be more affordable, all punctuated with saying that Knoxville might be a better choice, so I decided to agree with that. For that, I got lumped in with someone who told him off.
Southbound, please accept my apologies. You are right, I should have not passed judgment on Gastonia. I did go the exact route you said and I probably didn't see the best part of the city, nor was I aware there was a freeway in another area. I also spoke to a CHarlotte Police Officer who was a prospective landlord who told me to avoid Gastoina. However, I should not be so quick to judge an area. In fact, maybe I will look at some rentals in the Gastonia area and do like that it is a bit closer to the Appalachian mountains which is a major benefit of Gastonia to other suburbs.

I am now confident that I will find a place in the Charlotte area and looking forward to making Charlotte my new home. Obviously, I won't get a luxurious giant home in the most upscale neighborhood if the inner city, nor would I really even desire to live right smack in the city anyhow. I'm starting to learn the neighborhoods more and getting a better understanding of the area and prices. I am thinking it is doable.

Worst case scenario, I am open to renting a smaller apartment and dumping things in storage until I can get my situation a bit more stable and relocate from Coast to Coast.

I appreciate people's help and it has been quite valuable.

I actually really loved Tennessee, its people, their nice accents and the gorgeous scenery. I just think that living there may not be up my alley. Nashville looks like it would be a fun place to live, but I am pretty certain it is too expensive for me and like Charlotte's proximity to mountains and the ocean more than Nashville's location in the flatter middle part of the state.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Sorry, the cross country trip and stress of house hunting in an area I am totally new to and unfamiliar with has made me go a bit crazy and has stressed me out. I hope people can accept my apologies as I kind of was panicking and worrying that I may not find a place, etc. However, I have actually now viewed several houses and think I have figured out the system of how to find available rental houses in the Charlotte area and now have quite a few different properties to look at. I even applied at one place in Huntersville area which looked quite extravagant for the small rental tag.

Southbound, please accept my apologies. You are right, I should have not passed judgment on Gastonia. I did go the exact route you said and I probably didn't see the best part of the city, nor was I aware there was a freeway in another area. I also spoke to a CHarlotte Police Officer who was a prospective landlord who told me to avoid Gastoina. However, I should not be so quick to judge an area. In fact, maybe I will look at some rentals in the Gastonia area and do like that it is a bit closer to the Appalachian mountains which is a major benefit of Gastonia to other suburbs.

I am now confident that I will find a place in the Charlotte area and looking forward to making Charlotte my new home. Obviously, I won't get a luxurious giant home in the most upscale neighborhood if the inner city, nor would I really even desire to live right smack in the city anyhow. I'm starting to learn the neighborhoods more and getting a better understanding of the area and prices. I am thinking it is doable.

Worst case scenario, I am open to renting a smaller apartment and dumping things in storage until I can get my situation a bit more stable and relocate from Coast to Coast.

I appreciate people's help and it has been quite valuable.

I actually really loved Tennessee, its people, their nice accents and the gorgeous scenery. I just think that living there may not be up my alley. Nashville looks like it would be a fun place to live, but I am pretty certain it is too expensive for me and like Charlotte's proximity to mountains and the ocean more than Nashville's location in the flatter middle part of the state.
There are areas in Gastonia that you don't want to live in. That's why I said, check the Gaston County crime map. Most crimes are petty crimes or domestic violence. Avoid the NW quadrant & there's a sketchy area near downtown. West Franklin will be vastly improved within about 2 years.

If you have an interest, Crowders Mountain State Park is between Kings Mountain & Gastonia. Both cities have community theaters, if you care. Both cities have activities for all ages through the libraries. Kings Mountain & Belmont have city-sponsored festivals & activities.

If you went through a place that gave the appearance of a town on US 74 before Gastonia, that was Shelby. You don't really realize that Kings Mountain is much of anything unless you take business 74. Kings Mountain has some data centers. There is a very large data center in Maiden, which is off 321, on the way to Hickory. If you find something in Gastonia, it's centrally located to check the whole area & go to Charlotte.

The 3 fastest growing suburbs this year are Concord, Huntersville, & Gastonia, in that order.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM

298 posts, read 629,015 times
Have you looked on the other side of town, like Matthews, Mint Hill or Midland? They are closer to the Jewish Providence area and have some rural areas. Just a thought.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,842,078 times
I appreciate everyone's help.. Good News! Looks like I found a nice house up a bit north of Charlotte, but not so far from the downtown.. Still waiting to sign papers, but it should go through. I am really happy! The place is actually mind-blowingly nice and for a price I couldn't even get a 1 bed apartment for in the least desirable parts of Seattle or even Portland.

I'm looking forward to moving to Charlotte and leaving the Pacific Northwest for good! Of course, part of me is rather sad about leaving the Cascade mountains where I spent almost all of my life. I'll miss those views of Mount Rainier and Mount Hood towering over the horizon. However, the scenery around here is so spectacular in a different way and I find it equally beautiful , but just different. As well, I don't have to look at the massive clear-cuts that seem to be getting more and more prevalent in the Cascade mountains, which always break my heart. It is sad when the place you grew up and loved gets ruined and is no longer a place you desire to live.

Anyhow, I am really loving Charlotte and am very excited to finally make the move. I will be probably just chilling and exploring the city for the next week before heading back to Seattle area, packing up and then hauling my Penske truck across country for the second time

Thanks to everyone here, as you all have been very helpful.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 PM

176 posts, read 291,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
So what is wrong with Madison South Park or Ashley Square both in South Park (among the most exclusive areas of the city)? If your income is what you say it is, you should qualify with no problem, unless you have a criminal record. Give them a call. They have units available and you can even apply online. Several of the units area available RIGHT NOW.
This x 1000. My daughter lives in a 2x2 apartment in South Park and loves it. I have visited her there many times (of course) and I think the area is awesome.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 AM

31 posts, read 22,467 times
Area is great, but, i was reading online reviews for these complexses and they are horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte