Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 17,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
As I stated in another thread, I moved from SL to Charlotte just over a year ago. Not being from SL (and having lived there 3 times, totaling about 10 years), I understand what you mean about not feeling at home. However, looking back, I felt a lot more at home there than here in Charlotte. Of course, that could simply be the fact that I have only been here a year. I just haven't been able to sort out my feelings about Charlotte other than it is a rat race on steroids.

I've lived in Knoxville, Memphis, Omaha, Houston, Madison (WI), Detroit, SL, and, now, here. I feel as though I am experiencing alternate universes, frankly. SL seemed to be populated with people who grew up there and NEVER left; Charlotte seems to be populated with primarily people who are not from here. One extreme to another!

For your field it seems that SL would be a much better fit. Charlotte has A LOT of banking and financial services as their economic base. SL, in hindsight, is much more diversified with their economy. Looking back, St. Louis has a lot to offer. I've always thought it was a great city, but for the crime and the aloofness of the people. I can see exactly why you would want to leave. However, proceed cautiously because the grass is not greener here.

As far as housing goes, you will be paying more for a house here but less in property taxes. Seems like a wash, really. Personally, I feel as though we are worse off financially because of this move. There are a lot of expenses that are a lot more for us: water is more, electricity is more (and you use more with A/C); taxes seem higher; groceries seem higher; transportation costs (the amount of driving and sitting in traffic, etc.); food seems a lot higher. It seems to be a much more frantic lifestyle than SL. I could go on, but suffice it to say that we feel our quality of life is much lower here than SL. I regrettably say that, too. We had a great location in SL, but the crime was always in our face. It got old, as well as the aloofness. I wish we had stayed in SL, frankly. But, there are advantages to living here, too........

I know you have said you are looking for a place where African Americans do well and have a high quality of life and professional opportunities. I am a little reluctant to suggest this (because we had a bad experience there because of my husband's boss) but what about Detroit? I'm talking about the suburbs. I would think, as an electrical engineer, you would have a lot of opportunities with the auto industry. We met some of the nicest people in Detroit-some of the nicest yet. We lived in Clarkston, which was a very family friendly suburb with highly rated schools. Housing was very affordable, at least 4 years ago it was. If you hate winter, forget it. Detroit gets a bad rap, which I can totally see in the city. I can also see that it was once a very cool place to live. Lots to do! However, the suburbs aren't bad. The city is making a huge comeback, from what I hear. Just some place to consider. I guess the caveat is that I can't speak to racial relations. St. Louis is the worst I have seen, along with Memphis.

My favorite place I recommend to everyone is Madison, WI. Most all of my neighbors there were some sort of an engineer. It's a smaller town but has great schools and a lot to do - indoors and out. Taxes are expensive, but the quality of life is HUGE there. I hate paying taxes, but I really felt they were fairly well spent (I can't believe those words are coming from my mouth). It's a very techy town with a lot of people your age, so you might really like it. I personally think Madison is very accepting of everyone - it's such a diverse town with all races and nationalities (the university). Take a look if you can tolerate winter. (Winter does grow on you after a while)

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
You hit the nail on the head! I need more to look forward to for this type of increase in cost of living. For tech industry, I don't think it's there. However, I do believe Charlotte to be full of great people. I am here now and have met several nice people. That's what I was looking for, but I don't want that more than I want home ownership & stability. I think if I was in banking, I'd be a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM

It could be about 17 miles. Idk the exact distance. It's 30 minutes no traffic. Can be up to 1.5 hour during rush hour. I work 7-330. So I usually leave around 630. It's atleast 45 minutes going home...up to 1.5 hours. I just went to Indian trail, Matthews, Concord..maybe I wasn't in the right area, but it didn't look too appealing. I also understand tht I can't compare it to where I am from either.

The company I'm interviewing with in Charlotte would cover all relocation fees. My house will sell pretty fast. It's a seller's market right now and I have a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Another reason I'm skeptical...would miss my house. Took me 6 months to find it, & it's everything I wanted in a starter home lol

Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestPeach View Post
It could be about 17 miles. Idk the exact distance. It's 30 minutes no traffic. Can be up to 1.5 hour during rush hour. I work 7-330. So I usually leave around 630. It's atleast 45 minutes going home...up to 1.5 hours. I just went to Indian trail, Matthews, Concord..maybe I wasn't in the right area, but it didn't look too appealing. I also understand tht I can't compare it to where I am from either.

The company I'm interviewing with in Charlotte would cover all relocation fees. My house will sell pretty fast. It's a seller's market right now and I have a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Another reason I'm skeptical...would miss my house. Took me 6 months to find it, & it's everything I wanted in a starter home lol
Where in Concord were you? Concord is a big city and one side to the other is very different.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Where in Concord were you? Concord is a big city and one side to the other is very different.
Near Carolina Mall to downtown..then to highway 85.. my way out looked a little different. It would take some time to get a feel for things. I'll visit a few places while here.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Near Carolina Mall to downtown..then to highway 85.. my way out looked a little different. It would take some time to get a feel for things. I'll visit a few places while here.
Get off at exit 52 off 85 and head West down Poplar Tent. Take a left on Cox Mill Road and also Harris road and check out the neighborhoods down both of those roads. If you take Cox Mill to the end to Christenbury Parkway take a right at the light and you'll be in Highland Creek at the roundabout.

The area you saw near the hospital is not the nicest area of Concord.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:

Hopefully you didn't just drive down 601 and 74. I'd suggest looking up some potential houses that might fit what you're looking for and driving by them. That way you'd get an idea of some of the neighborhoods and it should take you off of the main roads which aren't always the most appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte