Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times

Advertisements

Per baseball commissioners recent comments,MLB is looking to expand into two cities, Charlotte being named one if them. Others were Portland, Nashville, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Mexico City, and a couple others I can’t recall at the moment. One drawback mentioned for CLT was the recent expansion of the minor league ballpark downtown. This will be quite a competition I think! What do you think about Charlotte’s chances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Per baseball commissioners recent comments,MLB is looking to expand into two cities, Charlotte being named one if them. Others were Portland, Nashville, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Mexico City, and a couple others I can’t recall at the moment. One drawback mentioned for CLT was the recent expansion of the minor league ballpark downtown. This will be quite a competition I think! What do you think about Charlotte’s chances?
Not good. This topic has been discussed before:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...te-having.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ssibility.html

Old 07-19-2018, 08:18 AM

607 posts, read 555,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Pretty much zero. Vegas and Mexico City will almost certainly be the sites.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Charlotte is an obvious choice given its success in other sports and relative separation from other, previously-developed markets.

Finding a second franchise is trickier. Taken together, Nashville, Memphis and Birmingham have the potential, but each city will seek to dominate. Ditto for a "pairing" of Las Vegas and Salt Lake City -- the latter of which I view as attractive as more people flee the trends currently eroding Southern California. Portland is in its own orbit, and not really a "baseball town".

Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 AM

751 posts, read 935,487 times
The only way Charlotte would get a team is if Tepper is interested in making Charlotte a sports hub.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
The only way Charlotte would get a team is if Tepper is interested in making Charlotte a sports hub.
My thoughts exactly. A new domed stadium could host the Panthers, MLB, and help Charlotte host a Superbowl.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
If Major League Baseball expands to Charlotte, I could see an American League team.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 AM

246 posts, read 583,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My thoughts exactly. A new domed stadium could host the Panthers, MLB, and help Charlotte host a Superbowl.

I can all but guarantee that an MLB franchise would demand a baseball-only facility. Multi-sport stadia (while smart from a land use standpoint) are out of fashion.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
I think Charlotte rushed in getting a stadium built downtown for the Knights. They should have listened to Reese or at the very least tried to build on a site where the AAA stadium could be expanded to a major league ballpark. What a waste of taxpayer money if they abandon the new BB&T Ballpark.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
Montreal and Vancouver Canada were the other two cities named.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte