Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:39 AM

54 posts, read 49,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I have come to the same conclusion. Charlotte's prices are not worth what you get anymore (all things considered). To me, Charlotte was created by a bunch of Finance CEOs and Real Estate moguls that could escape high taxes of the Northeast and exploit the small towns for cheap housing developments.
You nailed it and that’s why this definitely isn’t the same town I was born and raised in. I got out the military came back for school only to find it developing into what you just said. The sad part is that I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until you specifically just stated it outright. Thanks for saying it as living here I couldn’t really make out exactly what it is. Your entirely correct. The city has become a safe haven for high end Finance CEO’s and Real Estate moguls from the northeast that ran from high taxes. Decided to settle in here and over price everyone else out by in their own special way sculpting what they like and secretly in the process running the price of everything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:28 AM

751 posts, read 936,931 times
So a few dozen "high end Finance CEOs" had the power to completely change the landscape of an area that's populated by over a million people? Sure.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:37 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,718,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
So a few dozen "high end Finance CEOs" had the power to completely change the landscape of an area that's populated by over a million people? Sure.
Some people need to break complex things like the development of a metropolitan area over the last century, the diversification of an economy, macroeconomic factors that impact economies in different states, site selection by employers, weather preferences by people looking for warmer climates, the rising cost of housing, etc.... into something really simple like "it was all the high end Finance CEOs" in order to get their mind around it.

A basic economics course would also be useful for some to take a refresher on for understanding why market prices increase or decrease depending on supply and demand.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:42 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,362,320 times
Not sure if I've ever heard Charlotte described as a place for "real estate moguls" before

Old 08-31-2018, 07:01 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Some people need to break complex things like the development of a metropolitan area over the last century, the diversification of an economy, macroeconomic factors that impact economies in different states, site selection by employers, weather preferences by people looking for warmer climates, the rising cost of housing, etc.... into something really simple like "it was all the high end Finance CEOs" in order to get their mind around it.

A basic economics course would also be useful for some to take a refresher on for understanding why market prices increase or decrease depending on supply and demand.
I think it's just your regular yankees trying to escape ridiculous real estate prices up north, not CEOs. $350K that would get you a decent 3 bed/3 bath in Ballantyne gets you a a small shack in the ghetto in Boston area.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 AM

751 posts, read 936,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
I think it's just your regular yankees trying to escape ridiculous real estate prices up north, not CEOs. $350K that would get you a decent 3 bed/3 bath in Ballantyne gets you a a small shack in the ghetto in Boston area.
We're some of those Yankees that moved here for the weather and slower paced lifestyle...not for cheaper housing prices.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,970,901 times
Quote:
Yes, we moved down here from the DC area. We sold our 2000 sq ft TH for 30K more than what we bought our 4000 sq ft SFH on a great lot on a quiet cul-de-sac. We ended up with some great schools and that was by luck as we didn't consider that when we bought.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,841,424 times
Quote:

Is there such a thing as a Southerner in Charlotte anymore? It seems mostly "Yankeeified".. I kind of consider Huntersville, where I live, Southern New Jersey. It seems like the land of New Jersey soccer moms to me. Charlotte, itself, feels like a giant suburb and almost everyone has an accent that sounds more like from the Northeast, Midwestern or even West Coast than that really strong North Carolina drawl. That North Carolina accent is no joke, so I am so shocked how little of it I hear.

It was kind of a bummer when I moved here to hear almost nobody with a Southern accent and to hear even more New York/Jersey accents. Also, the people are so quiet, reserved and most unfriendly I have ever encountered. I thought Seattle was cold and distant, but I actually think Charlotte feels even more so. In fact, people in Seattle feel frozen, but with the ability to be thawed. Here, people just seem a bit pretentious and like they are too busy or concerned with their families to worry about your existence. The Southerners I meet are the exact opposite, warm friendly and will take the time to smile and acknowledge you. Many times they will even engage in long conversations and can talk your head off, which I don't mind being from an introverted part of the country. However, there is a certain coldness and snobbishness to many of these transplants. A very elite vibe that I find annoying. Maybe, the banking industry has some influence over this as well? This was quite a contrast from when I was in Tennessee with all the smiley, chatty, polite and upbeat people I met just about everywhere I went. I have this feeling North Carolina people are similar, but this place really is becoming an extension of suburban New York and New Jersey and there is nothing Southern about it.

Charlotte is also probably the most family oriented city I have ever seen.. There is not much of a life for singles here. Denver, I saw single people everywhere and it was not uncommon to see groups of same gender or solo hanging out at places. In Charlotte everything seems to be in couples or families. And, I mean everything! It seems like every activity here, even going to bars, can involve your family. I even went to a night club where they were drinking and playing music at night and a few people brought their children with them.. Ugh! I love kids, but this is the place you don't want to see them!

Last edited by RotseCherut; 09-04-2018 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 PM

628 posts, read 820,878 times
So what about all those wrecked abandoned cars you see on the interstate shoulder all the time, where does that come from, or is Charlotte just Ghetto like that? Not to mention all the recent shootings in the good neighborhoods.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,287,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Is there such a thing as a Southerner in Charlotte anymore? It seems mostly "Yankeeified".. I kind of consider Huntersville, where I live, Southern New Jersey. It seems like the land of New Jersey soccer moms to me. Charlotte, itself, feels like a giant suburb and almost everyone has an accent that sounds more like from the Northeast, Midwestern or even West Coast than that really strong North Carolina drawl. That North Carolina accent is no joke, so I am so shocked how little of it I hear.

It was kind of a bummer when I moved here to hear almost nobody with a Southern accent and to hear even more New York/Jersey accents. Also, the people are so quiet, reserved and most unfriendly I have ever encountered. I thought Seattle was cold and distant, but I actually think Charlotte feels even more so. In fact, people in Seattle feel frozen, but with the ability to be thawed. Here, people just seem a bit pretentious and like they are too busy or concerned with their families to worry about your existence. The Southerners I meet are the exact opposite, warm friendly and will take the time to smile and acknowledge you. Many times they will even engage in long conversations and can talk your head off, which I don't mind being from an introverted part of the country. However, there is a certain coldness and snobbishness to many of these transplants. A very elite vibe that I find annoying. Maybe, the banking industry has some influence over this as well? This was quite a contrast from when I was in Tennessee with all the smiley, chatty, polite and upbeat people I met just about everywhere I went. I have this feeling North Carolina people are similar, but this place really is becoming an extension of suburban New York and New Jersey and there is nothing Southern about it.

Charlotte is also probably the most family oriented city I have ever seen.. There is not much of a life for singles here. Denver, I saw single people everywhere and it was not uncommon to see groups of same gender or solo hanging out at places. In Charlotte everything seems to be in couples or families. And, I mean everything! It seems like every activity here, even going to bars, can involve your family. I even went to a night club where they were drinking and playing music at night and a few people brought their children with them.. Ugh! I love kids, but this is the place you don't want to see them!

Again, you were able to deduce all of this in a month living in Charlotte? Kids at clubs? I guess the parents had fake IDs for their kids....do you really understand how utterly ridiculous this sounds. This entire post is riddled with generalizations and nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte