Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 AM

37,924 posts, read 42,168,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think it can. It just depends on your perspective. It’s all relative and subjective.
No it's not as the term "building" itself isn't height-specific and encompasses one-story structures as well as 50-story structures. If a person means highrises, then they need to specifically say that. Saying that downtown Raleigh has "very few new buildings" is patently false; modifying that statement to say that downtown Raleigh has very few new highrises would be more accurate. Words do mean things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,420,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No it's not as the term "building" itself isn't height-specific and encompasses one-story structures as well as 50-story structures. If a person means highrises, then they need to specifically say that. Saying that downtown Raleigh has "very few new buildings" is patently false; modifying that statement to say that downtown Raleigh has very few new highrises would be more accurate. Words do mean things.

Well. Charlotte (and Atlanta) has plenty of low rise buildings going on. A load of low rises and midrises. It just so happens bigger towers obviously are even more noticeable and get more attention.

Then there’s other things in CLT going on (stadiums, Light Rail, Gold Line, renovations, lobby conversions, parks, etc) which again could contribute to seeming more. I say “seeming” because I don’t know all the happenings in downtown Raleigh, but it does seem not to scale of Uptown’s growth.

I don’t know about ATL’s boom, but I can only imagine there adding much more buildings and new stadiums and stuff than CLT. Atlanta’s growth probably isn’t as noticeable as Charlotte due to how big ATL is. Takes a lot to make a noticeable difference.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I don’t know about ATL’s boom, but I can only imagine there adding much more buildings and new stadiums and stuff than CLT. Atlanta’s growth probably isn’t as noticeable as Charlotte due to how big ATL is. Takes a lot to make a noticeable difference.
Oh it's just as noticeable in ATL if not more so--in the core as well as in the 'burbs. There's a ton of new construction happening down there, but that's another discussion.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,963,741 times
Quote:
Oh it's just as noticeable in ATL if not more so--in the core as well as in the 'burbs. There's a ton of new construction happening down there, but that's another discussion.
In all honesty I believe that the total amount of new development in the last 5 years in Atlanta's core and the suburbs totals...

$50-60 Billion.

I know that might seem high, but we're talking about 20-30 if not more 6 floor wood-framed apartment complexes....

Several new HQ complexes that have multiple office towers...

MB Stadium...

and about 40 new towers in Midtown and Downtown...

Then you have the Georgia State's redo of the former Braves Stadium....

The Gulch and Underground Atlanta downtown (which the Gulch about $6 billion and Underground $1/2-3/4 billion.

The total could be more than that.

Meanwhile not one thing has been done to Atlanta's 3rd world-condition local streets damaging cars left and right.

Peachtree Rd up to Buckhead got repaved, and the Freeways got new asphalt, but Atlanta Public Works is too busy stealing copper and equipment as soon as it's purchased to care about our main thoroughfares like Piedmont Ave where the pavement is actually disintegrating back to raw earth.

NC actually does maintain the roads, and in Georgia we have major water mains rupturing sending rivers of water down roads in every direction for weeks even months before the water is shut off.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
In all honesty I believe that the total amount of new development in the last 5 years in Atlanta's core and the suburbs totals...

$50-60 Billion.

I know that might seem high, but we're talking about 20-30 if not more 6 floor wood-framed apartment complexes....

Several new HQ complexes that have multiple office towers...

MB Stadium...

and about 40 new towers in Midtown and Downtown...

Then you have the Georgia State's redo of the former Braves Stadium....

The Gulch and Underground Atlanta downtown (which the Gulch about $6 billion and Underground $1/2-3/4 billion.

The total could be more than that.

Meanwhile not one thing has been done to Atlanta's 3rd world-condition local streets damaging cars left and right.

Peachtree Rd up to Buckhead got repaved, and the Freeways got new asphalt, but Atlanta Public Works is too busy stealing copper and equipment as soon as it's purchased to care about our main thoroughfares like Piedmont Ave where the pavement is actually disintegrating back to raw earth.

NC actually does maintain the roads, and in Georgia we have major water mains rupturing sending rivers of water down roads in every direction for weeks even months before the water is shut off.
What does any of this have to do with Charlotte being transient or downtown Raleigh having "very few new buildings" as you claim????

Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,963,741 times
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with Charlotte being transient or downtown Raleigh having "very few new buildings" as you claim????
I have already explained why I said "few noticeable projects" in Raleigh.

And what my last was doing was reiterating your contention about Atlanta.

It's obvious that you are using this forum to deal with something other than helping people with information.

Please don't include me anymore, I've got enough problems of my own but try to only write posts that offer more insight based on my experiences.

I shouldn't have allowed my time to be spent defending my posts.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,040,213 times
Like was mentioned, Raleigh is doing a lot of infill right now within it's downtown boundaries. Which is good really. We don't have the same corporate presence or the same structure obviously as ATL or Charlotte so there isn't a lot of demand for huge towers but there are some nice sized mixed use projects planned for the near future. The infill is more important in my eyes though for an enjoyable downtown. Might not be as impressive to put on a postcard but every city needs the stuff that is more exciting at ground level then 30+ story's in the air. Frankly for a city Raleigh's size, the height of the skyline isnt bad, it's just not very big. Thats being worked on right now.

But as far as why Charlotte is transient?...I'd be interested to see if there are hard numbers as to just how transient it is. I'm sure it's been covered but I view Charlotte as a city people move to and then stay in. I personally don't know why a majority of people wouldn't. I imagine it checks the right boxes for more people then not.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I have already explained why I said "few noticeable projects" in Raleigh.
No, you said "few new buildings" in downtown Raleigh. When I called you out on the inaccuracy of that statement, you then changed the goalposts. You DO know that people can go back and read your posts and see this for themselves, right?

Quote:
And what my last was doing was reiterating your contention about Atlanta.
It had absolutely nothing to do with my statement about Atlanta whatsoever. And it didn't have anything to do with the what you changed the subject to, which was "noticeable projects."

Quote:
It's obvious that you are using this forum to deal with something other than helping people with information.
Before this thread got off-topic, I was very much engaged on the original topic. And stop acting as though all of your posts in this thread have been "helping people with information" when you've mostly been repeating your tired, well-worn criticisms of Charlotte and how it's inferior to Raleigh in your eyes. You manage to do this when the original topic is faaarrr from that.

Quote:
Please don't include me anymore, I've got enough problems of my own but try to only write posts that offer more insight based on my experiences.

I shouldn't have allowed my time to be spent defending my posts.
If you're going to comment on a thread, that opens up your comments for critique and analysis. That is how online forums work and I am free to respond to your posts as long as I adhere to the TOS. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should reconsider whether or not you should be participating.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,393,029 times
Quote:
He absolutely hates Charlotte and he spends all his time trying to convince others to hate it.

His main points of contention:

1.) Charlotte is Southern
2.) Charlotte mass transit name (CATS) is stupid
3) Charlotte builds skyscrapers to make other people think it’s bigger than it is

But it’s most important to keep in mind, his views are silly and it’s best to ignore them.

Lots of cities - especially the bigger they become - are transient. Charlotte doesn’t have that reputation. Washington DC, I hear people all the time, especially the rare locals from Virginia, talk about how transient the city is. It’s just the nature of cities. Smaller cities are less transient.

Come on, the airport code is way funnier: CLT.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM

628 posts, read 823,058 times
North Carolina might be the "Gem" of the South, but it's still the South!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte