Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Another question is how they are calculating murders or days? Charlotte is safe and is not anywhere near "a murder a day". Stupid thread based on stupid question biased with conjecture and misinformation.

How do you figure?? I see A LOT of crime here. Just this morning a mother was shot at in a school parking lot... Someone was shot a few days ago on the highway...12 times... that same day a man was shot and killed in Concord while driving his car...
Charlotte one of Americas Deadliest Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
How do you figure?? I see A LOT of crime here. Just this morning a mother was shot at in a school parking lot... Someone was shot a few days ago on the highway...12 times... that same day a man was shot and killed in Concord while driving his car...
Did you know that of the 50 largest city governments in the country, only 4 are not on CBS's "Deadliest Cities in America" list (because they put every large city with public data on the list).

New York - on the list
Fort Worth - on the list
Phoenix - on the list
Los Angeles - on the list
Boston - on the list
Austin - on the list
Portland - on the list
Seattle - on the list
Denver - on the list
Albuquerque - on the list
Milwaukee - on the list
Tulsa - on the list
Wichita - on the list
Columbus - on the list
Las Vegas- on the list
etc.......
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...u-s-cities/62/

In fact, the only four cities that are among the 50 most populous in the entire country that did not make the CBS list were Tuscon, Sacramento, Raleigh, and Colorado Spring. You should give one of these four cities a look if you relocate. Every other major city is on the "Deadliest Cities in America" list with Charlotte. 45 of the 50 most populous cities in the USA are the "Deadliest".

Last edited by CLT4; 08-30-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

So far we've heard:

1. (People are) "getting shot on a daily basis like in Charlotte."
2. Crime is getting worse, this is a fact based on annual statistics by the Charlotte Observer.
3. Violent crime has been up consistently year after year.

These lies are unproven or proved to be false. Go back and read the thread.

The headline you shared is one I supplied as evidence of sensational reporting. It's sensational for a number of reasons related to lack of context in incomplete statistics.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”

You can see what you want to. The fact is, there has rarely been a safer place / time to live than Charlotte, NC is right now.

The OP's question is silly in it's nature, since Charlotte's growth rate is one of the highest in the country, though I'd be interested to see if there is data to support the premise that we have a more transient population.

It could be answered by considering: What is the average tenure of a new arrival in Charlotte? How does that compare to other similar cities?

Hard to take the OP's "I can't help but notice alot of turnover in jobs, homes and transplants..." at face value given the false assumptions shared regarding crime.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:30 AM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

While Charlotte has crime problems, I'd say they are no better or worse than a lot of other cities out there.

Until YOU get robbed, burglarized, or shot.

Otherwise, it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:45 AM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”

You say statistics. I say fake news!

Old 08-30-2018, 01:46 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
I haven't been in an area where the crime spreads over to expensive prestigious neighborhoods before though. Armed Robberies in Myers Park, Shootings in Ballantyne?! You don't say... Just watch Spectrum News any day of the week and there is always something alarming going on (or you can google them).

If you thing gunfights are a normal thing at gas stations then so be it...
https://youtu.be/Eh6GVDnM5CE

Old 08-30-2018, 04:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
The OP didn't do a very good job of veiling his agenda I see.

There are cities with similar or higher violent crime rates than Charlotte that are just as or even more transient and I'm sure he knows this. Cut the BS.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
That's still seems like a lot of money for living in the South. My friend just bought a nice modern home for 270k on the West Coast in a large city in Oregon.
how big of a lot and how many square feet?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Small lot maybe a 1/4 acre, but that's just how the houses are there. 2,400 sq feet ranch style home 3 bedrooms plus bonus, built in 2000 but updated.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:20 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Small lot maybe a 1/4 acre, but that's just how the houses are there. 2,400 sq feet ranch style home 3 bedrooms plus bonus, built in 2000 but updated.

The house here is 3200 sq ft and is 6 bedrooms and is newer for $375K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte