Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The sisters said she physically assaulted them although I don't believe that was in the original reporting.
Thank you for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Do redneck Whites have the money and influence needed to draft pieces of legislation? Outside of the NRA, I can't think of any influence that redneck Whites might carry.

Wait. Are you suggesting that there are no rednecks in government? Redneck is a mentality, and no longer an economic class.

And do you believe that only Big Bubba rednecks belong to and run the NRA?

Welcome to the New South, the Land of Self-Delusion, Hypocrisy, and Deep-seated Collective Guilt over the Failures of the Reconstruction and post-Reconstruction Eras. (Of course, if you aren't aware of those periods of southern history, you can't feel guilty over it. You just unknowingly carry the sins of your forefathers, which is even better for you).

Nothing is new about the New South except that the sheets have been traded in for pin-striped suits.

Eat it up.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM

241 posts, read 338,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that you're missed something, in fact, I know you did.

As a white female, I have been told to get the coffee, make the coffee, clean up, many, many times. It doesn't matter what color your skin is, you will probably be paid less to do the same job, if you're female. If you get the job. The boss keeps a chart of how many of which type of individual he has working in which job.

The segregated want ads were still functioning, not just in the South, well into the 70s. By segregated, I'm speaking of Help wanted Male, Help wanted Male or Female, & Help wanted Female. The difference, pay. Do you understand that most Boomer females were not allowed to go to a good number of colleges? It didn't matter what color your skin was. That included public colleges. Rutgers College was male only. I could go on, but I won't.

Were you entirely wrong? No. However, you picked up on & conflated 2 different biases.
Yeah, I'm going to need you not tell me, a Black person living in America, what your definition of racism is. I deal with it in addition to the sexism that you speak of. Racism isn't simply about implicit bias, it's institutional in America. There are no longer explicit laws in existence that prohibit Black people, women, etc. from doing as they please. However, if you concede that the existence of sexism is ingrained in American culture, how is the same not true of racism? Both are literally written in the nation's founding documents. Right along with classism; originally White male property-owners were allowed to vote. These are systemic problems that are older than the country, so how can their effects be undone in a few decades? Women's lib occurred four decades after suffrage. And there are people living who remember living under Jim Crow. How can four centuries of legal and cultural oppression be eradicated in four decades?

Why do HBCUs exist, if one's race was never a factor in education. You do realize that at one point teaching someone like me how to read was illegal and could mean your death, depending on the circumstances. Racial bias, gender bias and class bias are all happy bedfellows in America. When has this not been the case?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
NDL, are you old enough to remember the film on the evening news of the people in Boston when the feds ordered bussing? No one should be surprised about this woman or her origin.
Boston has a TERRIBLE history and reputation for being racist among Black folks that I know. Ironic considering that neighborhoods like Dorchester in Boston was pretty known as a rough Irish neighborhood with gangs, drugs, theft, low-performing schools, etc. basically everything bad that mainstream America equates with Blackness. It's never been just in the South.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Who is it that are you associating with, that leads you to believe that these attitudes are prevalent?

Why do I ask?

Because the attitudes about which you speak are considered so backwards, that for that reason alone, they are out of the mainstream. Even among uneducated people, feelings of prejudice have been largely engineered out of society. People are people.

I am not saying that prejudice and tribal politics no longer exists, but a lot of the labelling going around is done so on the basis of misunderstanding and mischaracterization.

The large cities in the Northeast were largely built by Irish, German, and Italian immigrants.

A working class White/Irish/Italian/German man is exploiting *no one* while out digging ditches.

The South was a different story, but the above comment is answering your comment about unions, etc. The point is not to subtract from the suffering that Black folk unjustly endured, but you're painting a picture of working class Whites that's inaccurate.

Are you saying that if you clean up an uneducated White man, that the grooming and etiquette common to people of the upper crust will follow? That somehow his plebeian background will remain undetected because he's White?

C'mon.

There's no disagreement there.

That's a sage quote which speaks volumes.

Very fair points
Well until recent events, it was considered in poor taste to speak openly about one's racial prejudices, but that's never stopped folks for holding those views. They just used to hide them. Check your news feed, not a week that goes by that I don't see video of someone being harassed because they're Black and in the "wrong space". Just saw one today with some Florida voters verbally abusing a Black Gillum supporter. That coupled with my own experience. Also, FBI stats have shown that roughtly 70% (just under) of hate crimes are due to anti-Black bias. Look at Charlottesville or the POTUS. But, it's all in my head, right? *shrug* Some misunderstandings occur, but the vast majority in my experience are crystal clear. No grey area exists.

Yeah, European immigrants are still Europeans. You can assimilate easily in less than a generation and that's what many of them did. Some of those immigrant groups were resentful of waves of African Americans leaving the South in search for better jobs and less racism during the Great Migration. What's inaccurate about my picture? Here's a link to the history behind right to work states.

He may face some discrimination from the elites, but he's not likely to face redlining or discrimination getting a small business or home loan. Studies prove that AA's are denied at twice the rate of Whites, regardless of income. *shrug* I read about these issues often. I can provide more links, if you'd like the information is there.

That quote tells more about America's past and present than I ever could type.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
How so? Are you speaking of states such as NH, VT, ME which have some of the highest rates of white people?

I'll think you'll find groups of people tend to segregate either intentionally or unintentionally anyways. There are entire neighborhoods of NYC that are made up of nearly all Jews and they like it that way, they make sure it stays that way. Same with PA. But there are sections of NY that are primarily all blacks and whites choose not to inhabit those area. My mother and father grew up in the Bronx in the 60's and 70's and were some of the only white kids in their schools. Then you have Northern Maine where my husband grew up where people can go their entire elementary school career and never see a black person. It wasn't intentional segregation.. they simply just didn't move there. Norther Midwest is primarily white. Black simply aren't moving there. I don't think the whites are intentionally segregating themselves out there . I mean there are always exceptions.

Look at say Ballantyne, a little closer to home. Primarily a very well to do upper class neighborhood. Also nearly 70% white with the second being Asian.. Why? Whites have more opportunities.. especially those who came from upper class families. Most of the people living there minimally have a B.A. probably most have a PHD or Masters. They're working in high paying roles such as Doctor, Investment Banker and Lawyer. Roles that we see can be lacking much diversity in ways of ethnicity. So we not only have a generational segregation issue, we have an economic, and geographical reason also.
Chicago, Detroit, and Gary and definitely not all White cities. Milwaukee isn't either and it's one of the most segregated cities in the country. Outside of those metros, you won't find too many of us, though. We go where the industry is, not so much rural areas where you won't find a job.

To add to your point, it's nearly impossible to surpass your parents' earnings. Most people's current economic situations aren't terribly far from how they grew up. There are exceptions (raises hand), but I'm not rich or wealthy my any stretch of the imagination. This is why generational poverty is so hard to escape. And why isn't generational wealth met with the same scrutiny? Hmm....?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
Wait. Are you suggesting that there are no rednecks in government? Redneck is a mentality, and no longer an economic class.

And do you believe that only Big Bubba rednecks belong to and run the NRA?

Welcome to the New South, the Land of Self-Delusion, Hypocrisy, and Deep-seated Collective Guilt over the Failures of the Reconstruction and post-Reconstruction Eras. (Of course, if you aren't aware of those periods of southern history, you can't feel guilty over it. You just unknowingly carry the sins of your forefathers, which is even better for you).

Nothing is new about the New South except that the sheets have been traded in for pin-striped suits.

Eat it up.
Word. It was not unusual during the 50s and 60s for the sheriff, police chief, prosecuting attorney, and judge to be Klan members. For those who care, this explains Black people's unease with law enforcement. It goes back to Jim Crow, Black Codes, and the slave catchers. You can't really examine the present without taking a good look at the past. They just caught that nurse who was a former cop in a confederate shirt with a noose. Everybody who wasn't Black seemed to be really shocked. Most of us weren't.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Yeah, I'm going to need you not tell me, a Black person living in America, what your definition of racism is. I deal with it in addition to the sexism that you speak of. Racism isn't simply about implicit bias, it's institutional in America. There are no longer explicit laws in existence that prohibit Black people, women, etc. from doing as they please. However, if you concede that the existence of sexism is ingrained in American culture, how is the same not true of racism? Both are literally written in the nation's founding documents. Right along with classism; originally White male property-owners were allowed to vote. These are systemic problems that are older than the country, so how can their effects be undone in a few decades? Women's lib occurred four decades after suffrage. And there are people living who remember living under Jim Crow. How can four centuries of legal and cultural oppression be eradicated in four decades?

Why do HBCUs exist, if one's race was never a factor in education. You do realize that at one point teaching someone like me how to read was illegal and could mean your death, depending on the circumstances. Racial bias, gender bias and class bias are all happy bedfellows in America. When has this not been the case?
I suppose I stopped too soon. Why do you think that there were all girl schools?

While you're at it, look up dowry.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
That quote tells more about America's past and present than I ever could type.
You come across as a very reasonable person.

Do you have any solutions to the problems at hand?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM

50 posts, read 39,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I don’t think that “about-ism” is a solution to descelate tensions.
ignoring the facts doesn't help at all also . If we want to deal in facts then we need to deal in ALL facts not just selective ones .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte