Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
This thread is a perfect example of 'no matter where you go - there you are'.

People that look for the good in people and places usually find the good.

People that look for the bad find the bad. Sad way to live your life IMO.

Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM

615 posts, read 538,178 times
Sweet bottoms claims to own a home in 4th Ward, but she lives or has lived in Greenville SC. She posts mostly Iin the Greenville forum. She is always very positive in her comments regarding Greenville. It is utopia in her eyes. But CLT idoes not measure up to Greenville in her eyes. Go figure. Does she have an agenda and a bias? I think that goes without saying.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 PM

615 posts, read 538,178 times
CLT is much more cosmopolitan than most southern cities. For example, the 2010 census indicates that CLT’s ethnicity was 45 percent white non Hispanic, 35 per cent black and 20 percent was foreign born and mix of two or more races. CLT is a city that is accepting of out of towners and different cultures. That is hardly Mayberry. And since the OP is from MA then she is used to traffic. CLT does have areas that it needs to continue to work to improve. Offering a quality education in public schools for all students is one of those areas. Some areas have more crime than others in the city but all cities have bad areas. But CLT does not have crime like Baltimore or New Orleans or St Louis.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Sweet bottoms claims to own a home in 4th Ward, but she lives or has lived in Greenville SC. She posts mostly Iin the Greenville forum. She is always very positive in her comments regarding Greenville. It is utopia in her eyes. But CLT idoes not measure up to Greenville in her eyes. Go figure. Does she have an agenda and a bias? I think that goes without saying.
The 4th Ward certainly wouldn't take her husband south on Tryon past Tyvola to 485 for his commute. In fact, from Uptown, 7 miles barely gets you past Tyvola going straight down Tryon.....

Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM

869 posts, read 1,788,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The 4th Ward certainly wouldn't take her husband south on Tryon past Tyvola to 485 for his commute. In fact, from Uptown, 7 miles barely gets you past Tyvola going straight down Tryon.....

She said she lives in Steele Creek.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanson View Post
Hello,

I know this question may have been asked a few different ways but so far i'm having a bit of trouble finding the answers to some of questions so figured i'd start a new thread.

My husband and I are planning to move our family of to charlotte hopefully within the next year from boston. We have 2 girls ages 7 & 3. My husband will be attending gradschool at unc charlotte and i am a social worker so will be looking for jobs in this field. We have started to look at areas of south park and matthews areas but are not particularly picky where we start out especially since we will be renting and can't afford a whole lot. We are visting for a few days in january to get a feel for the place and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things to do or places to visit and/or suggestions of places that may be inexpensive to rent but still in a reasonable location. The only thing i have planned so far is to try to tour a few schools for my girls and visit some Mosques since we are muslim and that is also very important to us.

We don't know anyone in the area and are excited for a fresh start but still trying to figure out where to start. so any feedback would be helpful
Welcome. Do you have a social work license? The NC Board is harsh. Let me know if you need help. You might have to take a test.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 AM

7 posts, read 11,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Welcome. Do you have a social work license? The NC Board is harsh. Let me know if you need help. You might have to take a test.
Yes I have a MA LCSW I was looking online and looked like I would just have to submit a full application to transfer license. Do you think it’ll be hard to find a job without changing overtight away?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanson View Post
As a start we’re hoping to not spend more than $1300
You probably need to looking much farther out of those areas you chose at the OP and look at Gastonia, Monroe, Salisbury, or even Rock Hill, SC. The $1300 rent you want to pay is for a 1BR/1BA in any part of Charlotte these days. Add into your monthly bills daycare, and make sure you check those out when you come in January as they have long waiting lists and are expensive. Commutes to/from work/school are just a given now in the whole Charlotte and surrounding areas. It will only get worse.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,960,608 times
Look into University City, Harrisburg, Concord. If your husband doesn't mind the commute then Rock Hill or Fort Mill (he could just take the light rail) after a short commute from the SC side.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 PM

232 posts, read 190,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I would be picky because the bad areas are..bad. There's really high/violent crime in some parts of Charlotte. That commute is gonna be killer btw. I77 can get extremely backed up. We're talking hours of commute to get a handful of miles. My husband commutes 7 miles to work (not even on the highway) and it takes him an hour 30 on average to get home... I can't for the world of me think of why you'd move from a state with some of the best education in the country to one ranked 45th (49th on some lists) in the nation. You're talking education barely better than Mississippi and Louisiana...

Culture is going to be vastly different here in the deep south.. You're coming into the bible belt..tolerance isn't exactly their middle name in some areas of the state. Once you leave city boundaries good luck... If my daughter was in public school (or any school) we be moving BACK to New Hampshire or Mass to send her.
Concerning the Northeast: Violent Crime? Bad Schools? Intolerance?

Boston Crime: (Roxbury, Murderpan(I mean Mattapan), or parts of Dorchester, take your pick)
Providence (All of South Providence)
Hartford (Where do we begin)
New Haven, Watrebury, Bridgeport, CT (All the same)
Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem, etc
Newark, Patterson, Trenton NJ
Wilmington, Del
Phiiladelpha, Pittsburgh, Camden, Harrisburg
Baltimore
Washington, DC

What do these cities in the great NE all have in common? Crime (violent) and Bad Schools.

New Hampshire and Culture in the same breath??

Massachusetts, culture? Boston/Cambridge, sure. Fall River, New Bedford, Worcester, Springfield, Brockton...?

I am from the area and its' beautiful (just like NC) but not all that it's cracked up to be. Everyplace has good schools and bad. Every urban area has violent crime. Every city has someone or something they are intolerant of. People are intolerant of those who don't tolerate their beliefs, everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte