Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

Well, I for one am glad they did include your neighborhood!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
This is so frustrating to me. The founders of the Village of Marvin (the first wave of newcomers) saw that overdevelopment was coming and they came in here screaming "incorporate, save yourselves from overdevelopment." Frankly, I just didn't get what they were talking about. I didn't see the need to incorporate a town in name-only for the sake of protecting zoning. However, those folks thought they could incorporate and block development. Initially, there was no county water or sewer out here and the plan was to keep lot sizes to at least one acre. Now, this was before we had homes the size of hotels being built here. Most of the founding members of the Marvin council were in a neighborhood smaller than Providence Glen. And, I assure you, the intent was anything but being inclusive and arrogant. However, as the council has turned over and the second wave of newcomers have come along, it seems they are coming with a different attitude. They don't mind density and they seem to have deep pockets and the very attitude that I hear folks on here saying they are moving to get away from...

I am so very sad for this community that doesn't even resemble the one I grew up in. I'm pretty sure that today's council would not include my neighborhood if they had the choice. So, so sad... Mike Cognac, come back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 AM

Goodness, we do need to be careful of that $400,000 element. *Those* sorts of people really do bring the entire community down don't they?

Dawn

Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Goodness, we do need to be careful of that $400,000 element. *Those* sorts of people really do bring the entire community down don't they?

Dawn
Yes Dawn, with those cheap $400,000 homes, the Jerry Springer types, gangsta wannabees and the "tricked out" Honda Civics are sure to follow!!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 AM

Hey, don't knock my tricked out Honda!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yes Dawn, with those cheap $400,000 homes, the Jerry Springer types, gangsta wannabees and the "tricked out" Honda Civics are sure to follow!!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
yup I love our Honda Accord...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
yup I love our Honda Accord...
berry,dawn - What? No Lexus LS470 or RX350. You two, are going to be marched to the Marvin/Waxhaw border and be "pushed" out and your Gucci handbags and shoes will be confiscated!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Gucci bag? What is that?

I actually drive a 2004 Toyota that is fully paid for and doesn't have all the extras that the Limited model has. I plan to drive that around Marvin for a LONG time to come! I will probably be stopped and asked if I am lost! HA!

Dawn

Quote:
berry,dawn - What? No Lexus LS470 or RX350. You two, are going to be marched to the Marvin/Waxhaw border and be "pushed" out and your Gucci handbags and shoes will be confiscated!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Gucci bag? What is that?

I actually drive a 2004 Toyota that is fully paid for and doesn't have all the extras that the Limited model has. I plan to drive that around Marvin for a LONG time to come! I will probably be stopped and asked if I am lost! HA!

Dawn
Dawn - That Toyota is "marginally" acceptable. The councilman has proclaimed that all Hyundai and Suzuki owners will be shot on sight!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
E, thank you for that laugh and I truely mean it after the week im having so far

and nope no Lexus here, we had 2 mercedes though before moving here that we got rid of and just love our simple cars

Oh but let me say Ive NEVER seen so many Hummers in my entire life than here in Charlotte/Waxhaw/Marvin

and yes my son will be eventually driving a 05 Honda Accord to school...LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM

I think he will most likely declare our Saturns unacceptable soon. I got pretty good at dodging bullets while driving in LA, I guess I need to practice again.

Dawn

Quote:
Dawn - That Toyota is "marginally" acceptable. The councilman has proclaimed that all Hyundai and Suzuki owners will be shot on sight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte