Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have been traveling around much of VA, NC, and TN in order to try and find the best fit for us. I have recently gotten interested in Matthews. There are plenty of nice houses in our price range and Crown Point Elementary seems to be a decent school.

Where we live now, almost every retail shop we need is a 5 minute drive or less practically right in our back yard. Target, Wal-Mart, Aldi's, I Love Kickboxing, Cracker Barrel, Kohl's, Boscov's, everything. I saw there is also similar shopping right off East Independence Blvd (I think this is the proper name of the road). If we were to live in this area of Matthews, would we experience lots of traffic in the neighborhoods off this road? Is it mostly families? Is the retail shopping in that location average/above average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
My girlfriend and I have been traveling around much of VA, NC, and TN in order to try and find the best fit for us. I have recently gotten interested in Matthews. There are plenty of nice houses in our price range and Crown Point Elementary seems to be a decent school.

Where we live now, almost every retail shop we need is a 5 minute drive or less practically right in our back yard. Target, Wal-Mart, Aldi's, I Love Kickboxing, Cracker Barrel, Kohl's, Boscov's, everything. I saw there is also similar shopping right off East Independence Blvd (I think this is the proper name of the road). If we were to live in this area of Matthews, would we experience lots of traffic in the neighborhoods off this road? Is it mostly families? Is the retail shopping in that location average/above average?
Yes, there's a fair amount of traffic in the area during rush hour (I say this not to be snarky, but it's a reality of living in Matthews).

Matthews is a good choice for many reasons, and even if it does experience rush hour traffic, most shopping destinations are very convenient, so even if you're sitting in traffic, it wouldn't be for very long.

Matthews is a very family friendly area, with good schools and great parks.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

For similarity to Boscovs check Belk and Hamicks.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Yes, there's a fair amount of traffic in the area during rush hour (I say this not to be snarky, but it's a reality of living in Matthews).

Matthews is a good choice for many reasons, and even if it does experience rush hour traffic, most shopping destinations are very convenient, so even if you're sitting in traffic, it wouldn't be for very long.

Matthews is a very family friendly area, with good schools and great parks.
Thanks for the honest response. Good to hear that even if there is traffic it won't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
For similarity to Boscovs check Belk and Hamicks.
Yeah we don't shop there often but it's just nice to have the option, ya know?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Thanks for the honest response. Good to hear that even if there is traffic it won't be too bad.
My pleasure.

Your best bet is to plot the location of Target on a map, and look at all of the shopping immediately surrounding the area. All that said, I have never felt that Matthews is a cluster!&% of a situation.

It's one of my favorite towns, and a great option.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
The real question is where are your jobs located?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The real question is where are your jobs located?
My girlfriend can work at any hospital/medical facility. She is completing an advanced degree.

I work remote for the time being but can work at any advertising/marketing agency. I know Red Ventures has two offices in the Charlotte area and one of them is toward the SC border somewhat near Matthews. Plenty of other large firms in downtown. I wonder if that commute would be too stressful? I imagine Independence Blvd gets really backed up during rush hour.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
My girlfriend can work at any hospital/medical facility. She is completing an advanced degree.

I work remote for the time being but can work at any advertising/marketing agency. I know Red Ventures has two offices in the Charlotte area and one of them is toward the SC border somewhat near Matthews. Plenty of other large firms in downtown. I wonder if that commute would be too stressful? I imagine Independence Blvd gets really backed up during rush hour.
Matthews isn't a particularly central location. If she were to get a job at a hospital in Huntersville, for example, her commute would be hell, imo. I also wouldn't want to commute from Matthews to Uptown.

My suggestion is to get the job locations locked down before you buy, even if it means renting for while, which is probably a good idea anyway.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:43 AM

751 posts, read 935,145 times
Depending where you are in Matthews, evening commute from Uptown should be ~45-60 minutes.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 PM

157 posts, read 157,086 times
Quote:

I believe the Red Ventures office near the SC border is south of Ballantyne on 521. Unless there is another, Matthews to there is a drive. Other than 485, the roads to get there are single lane rural designed before the housing boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte