Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,455 times

Advertisements

At least you're doing the intelligent thing and stopping your move to that house...rather than move there and try to get the trains to change their ways. Similar to the folks who moved near Lowes Motor Speedway and gripe about race noise!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I would let it go in a heartbeat Loves. I was two miles from a track in Jacksonville, FL and I cannot tell you how many, many nights it woke me up at 3 and 4am. This was go over a crossing that had lights, bells, and arms (they shouldn't have blown the horn according to FL law but still did) Now the intersection near my community is just a plain intersection and therefore will have to blow the horn. Like stated before, I have trouble sleeping already and will not deal with that in anyway
So sorry for your trouble! Tell us your price range again, maybe we can make some new suggestions for neighborhoods.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Yea but you are talking about two totally different things there. Lowes is just a couple times of year and trains are every night...

Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Well, this is what I found out: A company named Carolina Western & Aberdine own the tracks (lease to CSX) near the community and they run 24/7 and have to legally blow the horn at every intersection. All I can say is that I'm SOOOOOO glad I heard that while standing outside my house taking pics and not when I was already in the house, all said and done. So my search continues now and at a very rapid pace. Great..Having a drink now

Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
good luck on your next home . A added tip for your next home go to google maps and zoom in a little bit and you can see train tracks outline on the map.
It does not mean the track is active but it does give you a perspective.
I think city hall might have that information or city transportation. For instance the train track up here in Huntersville a train only uses it about once a day.

I would guess train traffic will probably increasing in the near future as gas prices keep rising hurting the trucking industry profits.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
good luck on your next home . A added tip for your next home go to google maps and zoom in a little bit and you can see train tracks outline on the map.
It does not mean the track is active but it does give you a perspective.
I think city hall might have that information or city transportation. For instance the train track up here in Huntersville a train only uses it about once a day.

I would guess train traffic will probably increasing in the near future as gas prices keep rising hurting the trucking industry profits.
The city won't have information on the freight train schedules. The tracks are owned by the rail companies and they run on them as often as they like. Most in Charlotte are either CSX or Norfolk Southern. Any questions on how frequently they run on a particular track should be directed to the companies.

If you don't want to deal with the train whistle, you're smart to walk away from the house. It won't get any better and it's not an issue that the City or County will address.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Not to add anything but it was never disclosed to me by Centex that there was a 24/7 train rail nearby. Isn't that illegal??

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,358 times
Think about resale too. You might not mind it but the next person might and you don't want a house that won't sell to be on your hands. What neighborhood is it?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Exactly my thoughts as well

Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Not to add anything but it was never disclosed to me by Centex that there was a 24/7 train rail nearby. Isn't that illegal??
Well, actually, I have had your situation in the back of my mind today while working . . . and I came back on to check your post b/c I was wondering if noise (at particular decibel levels) is perhaps something that should have been disclosed to a potential buyer- like an existing nuisance . . . not being an attorney . . . I don't know if there is a statute/reg that requires a builder to notify of "nuisances" or "noise pollution." I would think it would be similar to living near an airport . . . and don't think I have heard of litigation in NC based on non-disclosure of airport flight paths . . .

Any attorneys or realtors out there who have the answer???

EDIT: Just happened to think . . . this probably falls on the buyer as a matter of "due diligence."

Last edited by brokensky; 04-11-2008 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte