Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times

Advertisements

Hi Can anyone please advise me on what the law is for railroad companies for times of train horn blowing? Do they have to stop at a certain time at night or is it 24/7?? Also, is there a way to find out what time the railroad companies run the trains? Is it 24/7? PLEASE HELP ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,086,773 times
They have to blow for upcoming crossings...to alert drivers, along with the flashing crossing arms. They are on a schedule, they run daytime & night too.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,467,313 times
As far as I know, there is no legal limit on them blowing their horn. I wouldn't be surprised if the company has a policy of making an effort to not do it as much, but that's no garauntee it won't happen at 3am. This would be a huge safety compromise. As annoying as it can be if you live right on the tracks, it's letting cars, kids, homeless people, animals, etc. know that there really is a train coming.

And you won't find a published schedule of when trains will and will not run due to security concerns now-a-days. You might get a general response from someone who's picked up on their schedule by simply living around it for so long, but nothing concrete.

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM

716 posts, read 2,159,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hi Can anyone please advise me on what the law is for railroad companies for times of train horn blowing? Do they have to stop at a certain time at night or is it 24/7?? Also, is there a way to find out what time the railroad companies run the trains? Is it 24/7? PLEASE HELP ME
I remember looking this up when I lived uptown because I was at 5th and Graham, right next to the train tracks.
(FWIW, I eventually got used to the train, and I left uptown at the end of 2005.)

Short version: They blow their horns at every public intersection, 24 hours a day.

Long version:
Sounding the Locomotive Horn:
Under the Train Horn Rule, locomotive engineers must sound train horns for
a minimum of 15 seconds, and a maximum of 20 seconds, in advance of all
public grade crossings, except:
• If a train is traveling faster than 45mph, engineers will not sound the
horn until it is within ¼ mile of the crossing, even if the advance
warning is less than 15 seconds.
• If a train stops in close proximity to a crossing, the horn does not have
to be sounded when the train begins to move again.
• There is a “good faith” exception for locations where engineers can’t
precisely estimate their arrival at a crossing.
Wherever feasible, train horns must be sounded in a standardized pattern of
2 long, 1 short and 1 long. The horn must continue to sound until the lead
locomotive or train car occupies the grade crossing.
For the first time, a maximum volume level for the train horn has been
established at 110 decibels. The minimum sound level remains 96 decibels.
Railroads have until 2010 to fully comply with the maximum volume level
requirement.

See this page:
FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION : PRESS ROOM

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM

I just found out and personally heard a train horn right where my house is being built. It's an absolute deal breaker for the purchase of the house. I'm willing to lose my deposit over it to save myself the future sleepless nights and many arugments. I heard it clear as day outside the house (taking pics of being built) and could only imagine at night when its completely silent. I had to deal with it in FL and WILL NOT deal with it again. I have trouble sleeping already and can't tell you how many sleepless nights I had already.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,759 times
yea, i'd let that house go. It's not worth it.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM

941 posts, read 2,303,632 times
Quote:
I just found out and personally heard a train horn right where my house is being built. It's an absolute deal breaker for the purchase of the house. I'm willing to lose my deposit over it to save myself the future sleepless nights and many arugments. I heard it clear as day outside the house (taking pics of being built) and could only imagine at night when its completely silent. I had to deal with it in FL and WILL NOT deal with it again. I have trouble sleeping already and can't tell you how many sleepless nights I had already.
Had this same problem in GA seems like every hour that d!@# air horn was piercing our ear drums, woke my 3 yr old son up everynight so glad we moved, don't blame you for backing out.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Oh no. I am so sorry, Himain. But if this is going to be something that disturbs your rest, then you better re-consider.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Wow, can't believe you'd let your dream house go over this? I have lived just a few houses over from the tracks on Sharon Amity (as have many people because that area is decades old) and my whole family got to where we never even noticed the trains. My youngest son even MISSED them coming thru late at night - said our new neighborhood was TOO quiet once we moved, LOL. He apparently looked forward to lying in bed at night and hearing the horns and rumble on the tracks. Sorry this is a deal breaker for you! I think you'll probably have to study some maps before you start looking to buy again to be sure of where the tracks are, because in many places all over Charlotte you'll be near some.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM

I would let it go in a heartbeat Loves. I was two miles from a track in Jacksonville, FL and I cannot tell you how many, many nights it woke me up at 3 and 4am. This was go over a crossing that had lights, bells, and arms (they shouldn't have blown the horn according to FL law but still did) Now the intersection near my community is just a plain intersection and therefore will have to blow the horn. Like stated before, I have trouble sleeping already and will not deal with that in anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte