Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 10:05 AM

569 posts, read 546,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylthom7 View Post
Crime is a problem all around NC. Smaller communities are certainly safer but not exempt. I come from the Midwest where crime is usually restricted to cities, not so here in NC.
Crime rates are contingent on demographics. A city of 50K in Mississippi with typical demographic population will far exceed the city the same size in Idaho, or Maine in crime statistics. Crime is more based on demographics than on population. The more homogenous the place, the safer. I'm not pro or con. I'm just pointing out an obvious fact that most like pretend isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 09:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
Crime rates are contingent on demographics. A city of 50K in Mississippi with typical demographic population will far exceed the city the same size in Idaho, or Maine in crime statistics. Crime is more based on demographics than on population. The more homogenous the place, the safer. I'm not pro or con. I'm just pointing out an obvious fact that most like pretend isn't an issue.
Not really, it's socioeconomic conditions that are the largest predictor of a person that will commit a crime, not race. I know some of "you" don't believe certain races commit crimes, yet one in particular, committed and perpetrated the largest systematic criminal act in American history which is primarily responsible for today's condition of one of those groups.

Here's the other ridiculous rub on "crime" and "crime stats", for one particular race, the judicial system is so slanted and corrupt, a "crime" isn't really considered a "crime".... a fact, most like to pretend it isn't an issue. You keep believing that media BS.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:22 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
This right here. All you need to do is look at the Top 3 safest states in the US vs the lowest 3... it is a clear indication of why they are the way they are. Demographics and crime in Charlotte were a factor in us leaving and coming back to New England.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
When you drive down Innes St and see at least five people heroin dozing in the middle of the day; a website says that isn't there...

Police and Sherriff will sit in the Ashley Furniture and Big Lots parking lots and just watch dozens of people sleep on the curb passed out from heroin... Nobody gets arrested, and the dealers don't even hide in Salisbury...

The dealers will actually sale around noon at the Cook Out or up next to the Dollar General; sometimes while a police cruiser is twenty feet away watching it happen...

Our area of Charlotte turned like that too. When we first moved there it was still mostly empty lots or nice communities spread out. Slowly it became trash on the streets, several smash and grabs at Rivergate along with people starting to get harassed.

We had people with literal tents set up in the shopping center front area just slumped over in heroin dazes with the crap strewn all over the lawn. Went on for forever. We even contacted the property mgmt company and spoke with them and said the police won't do anything about it. They tried trespassing then etc and couldn't get them off. When they weren't blitzed out of their minds people would complain on the local fb community page about them being super aggressive while panhandling and getting nasty with people and/or trying to reach into cars. We could see there was no end in sight and the problem probably wasn't going to get fix and odds are only worse.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really, it's socioeconomic conditions that are the largest predictor of a person that will commit a crime, not race. I know some of "you" don't believe certain races commit crimes, yet one in particular, committed and perpetrated the largest systematic criminal act in American history which is primarily responsible for today's condition of one of those groups.

Here's the other ridiculous rub on "crime" and "crime stats", for one particular race, the judicial system is so slanted and corrupt, a "crime" isn't really considered a "crime".... a fact, most like to pretend it isn't an issue. You keep believing that media BS.
n Charlotte, there is as much crime in many upper middle-class neighborhoods than inner-city. Take a look at the crime rates in 'certain parts' of Steele Creek, north Beatty's ford Road, and other potentially nice neighborhoods. Is this an illusion? There is no excuse for 3rd world behavior at it's worst with the opportunities in this country for "all" so call "oppressed" groups. The only excuse is laziness, poor role- models, educational laziness, lack of adequate parenting, and lack of leadership to acknowledge the problems and not blaming other races which all tend to show success at a noticeable level without all the privileges, set-asides, scholarships, and tons of "free stuff." I people aren't willing to get off their arses and improve their lives, they can't expect the rest of us to do the job. We're getting tired of doing so. You need to wake up. This is the U.S. If anyone can't succeed, it is their own fault. Get over "the past." The rest of us have. We were fighting the German, Italians, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Iranians, Iraqis, Libyans, and others during our (or our parent's) lifetimes and practically all of us have gotten and forgiven our former enemies. Get over you excuses. Your excuses only show an attempt to justify chronical failure.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
This right here. All you need to do is look at the Top 3 safest states in the US vs the lowest 3... it is a clear indication of why they are the way they are. Demographics and crime in Charlotte were a factor in us leaving and coming back to New England.
Fortunately, there are some great areas around Charlotte that are still safe with good neighborhoods Any large city has its bad and good. It is only bad with people in the bad neighborhoods move into good neighborhoods for safety and good schools and those start to decline. I welcome good neighbors regardless of anything physical. I just hate when arseholes become neighbors. I moved here from Boston. It was the same there just more segregated. I prefer it here personally; however, I agree with you and see your point. People often want to move into "diverse" areas. I like living in diverse places too depending on the "demographics" of that diversity. For example, I also lived in London for many years. It was very diverse where I lived, however, there was practically never any violent crime.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:23 PM

157 posts, read 104,967 times
Stat sites vs what you can see any given day in broad day light... on a main blvd or street even...

ALL those sites say Salisbury is an affluent safe neighborhood, but drive down Innes St(the main 4-lane through the city) any day, and any time..

Old 03-19-2024, 10:01 AM

Charlotte knows it has a problem. They've waited forever to approach it and now they have to find new ways to get it under control.

The first three months of 2024 have been the deadliest that Charlotte has seen in over a decade.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 74 times
Default Shotsbury

They do not call it Shotsbury for nothing.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:06 PM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankd4 View Post
They do not call it Shotsbury for nothing.

Meh. Call me a non-believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte