Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 AM

9 posts, read 6,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Fro 25$ UNCC students receive a pass for the school year to use all charlotte transit options; bus, light rail, express, trolly. A GREAT deal.

https://lightrail.uncc.edu/faqs/how-much-does-pass-cost
That's actually a great idea, I'm gonna check this out, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
You can got up to 25 miles from uptown on dollars if you time it right.. I can get to the center of uptown from Kannapolis for less than $20.00...

I'd advice against using it though unless you are thick skinned..
Hopefully you mean you're against using it this way in particular, because I don't intend to live outside of Charlotte in the mean time so I hope this public transprtation system will be safe.
Thank you

Old 05-11-2019, 10:44 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Light Rail is free for a student holding a valid UNCC Identification.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:26 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Get in touch with the International Student Services at UNC-C regarding housing if you haven't already. They can direct you to apartments that will be on the bus line or light rail line.
https://isso.uncc.edu/
https://offcampushousing.uncc.edu/resource/view/id/2873

Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM

Thank you so much for the help guys ♡

Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Light Rail is free for a student holding a valid UNCC Identification.
The busses are too

Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The busses are too
I was wondering about that?

There is conflicting information and anecdotal experience.

According to the UNCC site, you pay a 25 dollar semester fee and you get unlimited bus rides connected to your Student ID.

https://pats.uncc.edu/lightrail

My relative, a UNCC student, claims to be able to ride light rail simply by showing their student ID, but not the buses because they didn't pay the 25 dollar semester charge.

Other students argue they have been using their ID without paying the 25 dollar charge and it works fine on the buses too!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I was wondering about that?

There is conflicting information and anecdotal experience.

According to the UNCC site, you pay a 25 dollar semester fee and you get unlimited bus rides connected to your Student ID.

https://pats.uncc.edu/lightrail

My relative, a UNCC student, claims to be able to ride light rail simply by showing their student ID, but not the buses because they didn't pay the 25 dollar semester charge.

Other students argue they have been using their ID without paying the 25 dollar charge and it works fine on the buses too!
So, as of last year in 2018, the fee is built in your tuition like everything else. Whether you use it or not, you’re charged certain things at UNCC. Pretty sure that the transit fare is just built into tuition.

And the student ID’s have chips in them, so you can them on the bus touch pad things. So light rail, you show your ID, buses, you just hold it over the card reader.

I think your relative is wrong. Unless they changed it from last year, because I used my pass to take the bus all the time. And it wouldn’t make sense to ride the light rail but not the bus for a fee. so. I think the bus and light rail are “free” (with the caveat it’s not really free because you are paying that fee in your tuition but you’re charged it whether you use it or not.)

Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So, as of last year in 2018, the fee is built in your tuition like everything else. Whether you use it or not, you’re charged certain things at UNCC. Pretty sure that the transit fare is just built into tuition.

And the student ID’s have chips in them, so you can them on the bus touch pad things. So light rail, you show your ID, buses, you just hold it over the card reader.

I think your relative is wrong. Unless they changed it from last year, because I used my pass to take the bus all the time. And it wouldn’t make sense to ride the light rail but not the bus for a fee. so. I think the bus and light rail are “free” (with the caveat it’s not really free because you are paying that fee in your tuition but you’re charged it whether you use it or not.)
Makes perfect sense. I will mention it more in detail the next time I see them.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM

615 posts, read 537,037 times
If you currently reside outside the US, you may find that Americans don’t like transit cause they must walk to transit stops. Consequently, Americans are quick to complain and be critical of transit since it may not stop at their front door. But if you currently use transit then you may be already acostom to walking to the stops. So, be aware that just because Americans complain about transit, this does not necessarily mean that transit will not adequately meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte