Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times

Advertisements

We’re looking for a new connection in Huntersville, we’d be fine with 25 Mbps and certainly don’t need more than 100 Mbps. It appears Spectrum and AT&T are the best options for us?

We’ve been a Comcast customer for 15 years, no experience with Spectrum or AT&T Internet Service. Of course they make prices (after the teaser rate) and terms as hard to find as possible.

Which should we get and why?

We don’t want a bundle with TV or landline. If AT&T had a cellular and internet bundle we might be interested but I can’t find it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 PM

120 posts, read 140,192 times
We've had both. Spectrum gave us so much trouble. We decided to try ATT UVerse and it has been spectacular.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
it really does not matter that much.
pick one for the introductory rate,
and go with the other next time
for their intro rate. repeat.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:03 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
it really does not matter that much.
pick one for the introductory rate,
and go with the other next time
for their intro rate. repeat.
This (or call and negotiate).

Spectrum is basically the same as Comcast (Comcast did try to buy them after all).

I’ve had both and I’ve been slightly happier with AT&T. Both have dreadful customer service, but AT&T seems to be slightly more open about the additional fees (IME they include more of the fees and such in the actual price whereas Spectrum just lists the base price and tacks on more.

For example, just going to their sites now without looking for any special offers I see Spectrum is offering something for $44.99 for a year, plus “installation, equipment, taxes, fees, surcharges” but I can’t easily find how much any of those are or how much it is after a year (looks like $64.99 according to google).

AT&T is showing “$50/month + taxes.” Just one more click says it is also $99 for installation and will be $60 after a year, but I don’t believe there are other fees unless you cancel within a year.

I’d bet the net price on these 2 plans would be lower with AT&T.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This (or call and negotiate).

Spectrum is basically the same as Comcast (Comcast did try to buy them after all).

I’ve had both and I’ve been slightly happier with AT&T. Both have dreadful customer service, but AT&T seems to be slightly more open about the additional fees (IME they include more of the fees and such in the actual price whereas Spectrum just lists the base price and tacks on more.

For example, just going to their sites now without looking for any special offers I see Spectrum is offering something for $44.99 for a year, plus “installation, equipment, taxes, fees, surcharges” but I can’t easily find how much any of those are or how much it is after a year (looks like $64.99 according to google).

AT&T is showing “$50/month + taxes.” Just one more click says it is also $99 for installation and will be $60 after a year, but I don’t believe there are other fees unless you cancel within a year.

I’d bet the net price on these 2 plans would be lower with AT&T.
Thank you very much. I noted the the AT&T at $50/mo but when I called they said it was $70/mo (and Spectrum goes to $64.99/mo after 2 years). But I suspect they're about the same when all is said and done, and I can believe AT&T is the lesser evil based on what I've generally read about Spectrum all over the country in the past few years.

Thanks all.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
I had the AT&T 1 gig fiber service for 18 months and it worked great at my old house. Since I had DirecTv, it was $70/mo for 2 years. We bought a house and moved and no AT&T here, only Spectrum. But, I do have Spectrum 1 gig. $105/month but has not gone out once in 3 months. I am in a newer subdivision with new underground lines, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I now stream all of my TV, (Playstation Vue & Spectrum Choice) and it has worked great.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 PM

751 posts, read 934,989 times
Spectrum customer service has been terrible for us from a TV perspective, but honestly for internet it hasn't been bad. And on the few days that it's been out, we've been able to call into customer service and request a 1/30 credit to our bill for each day it's been out (albeit with a 15 minute hold).

Just remember that Spectrum's complaints will be 2x that of AT&T since they have a wider scope.

If you have the option in your area, I'd ask people in your neighborhood what they use and what is more reliable, since that may vary more by local area than the larger metro area on this board.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Unfortunately Spectrum is only choice in our area for high speed.
I'd drop them tomorrow if I had other options...it is my worst experience on internet service and support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: