Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2NC View Post
Since it is summer again and my friends in MD have been enjoying their steamed blue crabs w/ old bay and vinegar, I wanted to see if anyone has found a place in Charlotte that sells live or steamed blue crabs???? You would think that someone could ship them up from the NC beaches.
There were roadside vendors selling live blue crabs and shrimp on hwy 49 (just before the intersection of 274) in Lake Wylie. They have been there for the last 2 weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
In CA my former boss was from MD and his mom used to ship him blue crab a couple times a year during the summer. Not sure where she ordered them from, but looks like you can find places that ship them.

Maryland Blue Crabs by Dozen bc_thumb001 - Chesapeake Crab Connection – Maryland Blue Crabs Online Seafood Overnight Delivery (http://www.marylandbluecrabexpress.com/item--Maryland-Blue-Crabs-by-Dozen-bc_thumb001--store_BlueCrabs_dozen - broken link)

Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM

30 posts, read 109,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
There is a restaurant near you in 3rd Ward I think that might accommodate you. The owners are from Maryland.

Presto Grille
445 W. Trade St (Near Trade & Graham St's)

Owners and menu might have changed...worth a stab to stop by since you 2 live very close to it.

GOOD LUCK!

If you are good with buying them yourself (still alive), then you can indulge yourself... my wife eats these often every year... I prefer King Crab due to the effort-to-reward ratio ;-).

You can typically find blue crabs that are still alive in the baskets at 3 locations:
1. International Supermarket at N. Tryon and Sugar Creek in the Asian Corners shopping center. They typically have a very good seafood selection near the front of the store and many times they will have 1 or 2 blue crab baskets. If they do not have them ask if they get them in and when. You will have to look past the very old and not well-maintained parking lot and somewhat rundown looking store.... if you can get past those aspects and not expect the modern grocery store experience, then you will be happy.

2. New Century Grocery store at N. Tryon and Sugar Creek (some shopping center). They have seafood in the back and may have blue crab baskets. They many times have a good selection of seafood... some of it still alive swimming in tanks (think about those asian food stores in NYC's Chinatown).

NOTE: If you go to the Asian Corner shopping center, inside the mall area there is a small sandwich shop that sells vietnamese sub sandwiches and vietnamese style iced coffee.... BOTH are very very good!!!

3. At the corner of Eastway Dr and Central Ave (or almost at the corner)... turn onto Central from Eastway towards the center city... there is a small building that sells seafood inside (forgot the name).... but they have a decent selection also.

If this doesn't do it.... a day trip to Charleston should take care of you.... when I think blue crab, I think about the NC and SC coasts... not Maryland ;-).... that said... Charleston is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Charlotte and have many good seafood restaurants ( Johnson and Wales University (culinary school) was down there for the longest time, until Charlotte convinced them to move ). Definitely try the "she-crab" soup that is made from blue crabs!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
There were roadside vendors selling live blue crabs and shrimp on hwy 49 (just before the intersection of 274) in Lake Wylie. They have been there for the last 2 weekends.
I saw that a few weeks ago also :-).

Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM

98 posts, read 286,320 times
Wow, I'm going to drive out on Sat. and check it out. Did anyone notice prices?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Wow, I'm going to drive out on Sat. and check it out. Did anyone notice prices?
I didn't see prices when I went by.

If you strike out there.... try calling the International Supermarket or New Century Grocery to see if they have them... in fact you could call them today to see if they have them or when they expect them to get a shipment.

I also think I remember the name of the place near Central Ave and Eastway Dr.... I think the name is Sea King.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

98 posts, read 286,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
Does anyone know if these guys are back this year? Or has anyone seen any other roadside vendors selling blue crabs???

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,961 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if these guys are back this year? Or has anyone seen any other roadside vendors selling blue crabs???

Thanks for the help!
I am wondering the same thing. Any new news?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
"Hole in the Wall Crab Shack"
just off Mt. Holly-Huntersville at Hwy 16.
actual address: 10210 Couloak Dr., Charlotte, NC 28216

They're closed Sunday and Monday. They get their crabs in on Tuesdays and Fridays (from Georgia.)

We were in on Saturday and they had just sold out, so we didn't have a chance to try them. But the place smelled just like any crab place at home.

Hole in the wall Crab Shack - Home

Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
"Hole in the Wall Crab Shack"
just off Mt. Holly-Huntersville at Hwy 16.
actual address: 10210 Couloak Dr., Charlotte, NC 28216

They're closed Sunday and Monday. They get their crabs in on Tuesdays and Fridays (from Georgia.)

We were in on Saturday and they had just sold out, so we didn't have a chance to try them. But the place smelled just like any crab place at home.

Hole in the wall Crab Shack - Home
We stopped in there yesterday....YUMMY! Had the crabcakes and they were great, all meat, no filler. Got some steamed crabs too. They were mediums, but they were more like most places call large or extra large. They were BIG and good. Definately a keeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte