Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,008 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Charlotte this summer. We have kids four kids, ranging from 3-15. We love the vibe and location of Dilworth but we're scaredy cats. We live in safe, sanitized suburbia right now, so we are used to roaming free at all times - for example, 15yo daughter walking home in the dark from babysitting the neighbors, DH running at 5 am (crazy, I know), or 10yo daughter bicycling to the neighborhood pool on her own. SO...tell me about safety in Dilworth. Can we let our kids go to Freedom Park without an adult? Can they walk to Starbucks safely? Park cars on the street without worries? Do we need a security system?

I'm a teacher so I went a little crazy looking for the best schools and my faves are either Myers Park or Marvin Ridge. A BIG difference in lifestyle.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 11:37 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,277 times
check the crime statistics for that area.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,008 times
Default Check

I did that, of course. They aren't very specific. I am planning to call the non-emergency police number but wanted some firsthand info. from residents if possible.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM

207 posts, read 354,836 times
I lived in Dilworth for 40 years. It has come a long way. Have you seen the neighborhood now? The homes are quite expensive and the quality of life is good, in my estimation. There can be a risk of break-ins and i would consider an alarm system if I were in your situation, more for peace of mind than any other reason. If nothing else you will know when your child(ren) come and go when you are not at home, if it has the online record system as many modern systems do.
I was never concerned with Dilworth once it reached the critical level of affluence some years ago. My wife was not concerned to be in the house without an alarm and alone. She parked on the street and was careful to never leave the car unlocked or valuables visible. Hint. These are common sense actions.
There is an active neighborhood association (casual, not a homeowners association):
https://www.dilworthonline.org/
If you can drive around the neighborhood and use your eyes and ears that would help. Stop to talk to neighbors you see outside. I think your daughter would be fine in the situation you mention and if she were caring for my child I would walk her home or drive her, but that is me.
I know well people who have made the change from suburbia, where one must coil the hose in the yard or there were demerits and neighbors had the license plate that displayed the name of their development (her exact comments). After the trepidation they learned to love southern living. Please join us. I applaud your willingness to see your new life in a new way.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 483 times
I currently live in Dilworth and have 4 older kids...the youngest is 16, a girl. It is generally a safe neighborhood and she and her friends walk to Freedom Park and Starbucks with no problems. Just like anywhere, I don't want her walking around alone at night so common sense prevails.

We park on the street with no problems but my neighbor left their keys in their car (not smart anywhere) and it was stolen at night a couple years ago. We sporadically have car broken into but that is also true for Myers Park, Elizabeth or other in-town neighborhoods.

It is a family friendly area.

We love the neighborhood as we have 16+ walkable restaurants to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: