Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM

188 posts, read 209,454 times

Advertisements

Please help me navigate this, I’m new to Charlotte.

Another member posted this Instagram feed @blackatprovidneceday-I was shocked an appalled to see this thread.
https://www.instagram.com/blackatpro...g_jo0PbA-kf6f8

Highlights: students as young as tk/pk tell black students they can’t be their friends just because they are black. (Clearly taught at home.)

Parents outraged that a book written by Barack Obama was mandatory reading. (It was then removed from the mandatory list due to the outrage.) Why? On what basis?

Lots of use of the n-word in school with no consequences.

I started doing some digging and found out that there are the same type of Instagram feeds for
Blackatcountryday, blackatcls, blackatmarvin, blackatweddington, blackatcharlottechristian.

Is this type of racist behavior PERVASIVE in Charlotte? Are the private schools worse than the public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 07:09 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
A reason some families self segregate in majority white areas like Marvin or send their kids to the private schools is to avoid being around minorities, poor kids, and disadvantaged students. It also isn't the reason ALL families live where they live. It only takes 10 racist kids to make school uninviting for minority students.

Mom and dad's actions can lead to some of the kids learning they are superior due to their position in life, appearance, family status, and then make fun of the other kids. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the families at these schools would be pretty upset if their daughter came home with a black boyfriend from school. Now if William Davidson III who is on the lacrosse team and has a legacy of family members going to Providence Day and Duke was brought home by the daughter, mom and dad would be like "Welcome William! Have a wonderful prom with our daughter." High schoolers pick up on how mom and dad really feel and either model their actions or flat our reject them. Hence you have some that become social justice warriors in spite of their parents, and others that jump on board with mom and dad.

Last edited by CLT4; 06-30-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM

444 posts, read 581,957 times
CLT4, not sure if you are doing this on purpose or what, but your entire summary is conjecture. And shame on Vosges for publishing this rubbish.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
CLT4, not sure if you are doing this on purpose or what, but your entire summary is conjecture. And shame on Vosges for publishing this rubbish.
I have high schoolers, we are white, and I know many parents that send their kids to Country Day, Providence Day, Charlotte Christian, et. including neighbors in my south Charlotte neighborhood. The vast majority are great parents, especially the ones I am friends with, but there are definitely some bad apples. My post was not to say 100% of the parents are bad, but the small percentage that are can raise some children that make things challenging for minority students at schools that are 85%+ white. My kids aren't surprised these intagram threads exist, nor am I, because you hear it from time to time in social circles.

Do you have high schoolers in Charlotte?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
shame on Vosges for publishing this rubbish.
I’m new to CLT. This is NOT normal or acceptable where I’m from. I’m simply asking if this is normal in CLT.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
I’m new to CLT. This is NOT normal or acceptable where I’m from. I’m simply asking if this is normal in CLT.
Racial issues are also a problem in Chicago. Not saying that's ok. It is a nationwide issue.

Racial Issues Flare at Chicago's Elite Payton College Prep

Naperville Central High School investigating after racist 'Slave for Sale' Craigslist post shared on social media

Northwest suburban school district denounces racist slurs by former students on video from several years ago

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...nt?oid=7669705

Old 06-30-2020, 07:58 AM

Totally agree. No place is perfect. I agree those articles are disgusting.

But we don’t have kids using the N word without consequences at our school. We don’t have parents rallying NOT to read a book by Obama. Etc

Old 06-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
A reason some families self segregate in majority white areas like Marvin or send their kids to the private schools is to avoid being around minorities, poor kids, and disadvantaged students.
Maybe these people do exist, but there are also plenty of people who want good schools k-12 and don’t want to pay $25k a year. You have to go to South Charlotte to get this.

*good school to me is over 70% competency in math and reading.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 AM

607 posts, read 554,178 times
Quote:

Highlights: students as young as tk/pk tell black students they can’t be their friends just because they are black. (Clearly taught at home.)
Your assumption is that this is taught at home. More than likely it's just kids being kids...in the sense that they group and order their social heirachy in sometimes arbitrary ways and use whatever is needed to justify it...skin color, type of shoes one wears, or even having a name that's easily rhymed with an insult...anything to tease others.

Yes this behavior is pervasive as it's inherently human...but it's only incidentally tied to race and only so much as it's tied to shoe brand. This is a nothing-burger.

Quote:

Parents outraged that a book written by Barack Obama was mandatory reading. (It was then removed from the mandatory list due to the outrage.) Why? On what basis?
You'd have to be blind to be unaware that there is pervasive social justice movement out there. When extremism on one side rises up it's often met with growing extremism on the other side.

Perhaps the social justice warriors moved to have Obama's book on the mandatory reading list (likely because of the race of the author, though not certainly so) and there is a counter-movement that sees this as "liberal nonsense" being shoved down their kids throats under the guise of diversity and woke-ness.

I'd be more interested to know which book and the extent to which it's relevant academically before saying race was the driving factor.

Quote:

Lots of use of the n-word in school with no consequences.
This has been pervasive in schools for decades, though almost exclusively by black students.

Quote:

I started doing some digging and found out that there are the same type of Instagram feeds for
Blackatcountryday, blackatcls, blackatmarvin, blackatweddington, blackatcharlottechristian.
There have been protests and riots in nearly every major city in the country for weeks now, and internationally as well. Do we really think a random Parisian gives a crap about George Floyd to make signs and show up with a few hundred of their similarly-minded friends?

These are paid protests, with paid agitators, and it's completely reasonable that some of this agitation is done on-line. It would take a day to make a bunch of inciting instagram handles and promote them. I'd wonder when they were created and how often they're used. The internet is a large place.

Quote:

Is this type of racist behavior PERVASIVE in Charlotte? Are the private schools worse than the public schools?
Nothing here is conclusively, or even likely, racist.

Most people in Charlotte, and elsewhere, don't give a **** about race and they go about their day, living their lives, going to school or work, and taking care of their families without regard to race.

In fact, America is SO racist that people need to make up hate crimes like Jussie Smollett, and this NASCAR BS.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,081 times
Quote:
Maybe these people do exist, but there are also plenty of people who want good schools k-12 and don’t want to pay $25k a year. You have to go to South Charlotte to get this.

*good school to me is over 70% competency in math and reading.
You don't have to ONLY go to South Charlotte to get those bolded scores .

Check out this website and check the surrounding counties:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte