Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 AM

188 posts, read 209,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
You don't have to ONLY go to South Charlotte to get those bolded scores .

Check out this website and check the surrounding counties:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
I literally know two counties in NC. Meck and Union. Can you short list the other counties with 70% competency schools so I know for future reference.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 09:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,250 times
We natives of charlotte and other southern states are sick and tired of people talking about "racism in the south" We find it very offensive .....

Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
We natives of charlotte and other southern states are sick and tired of people talking about "racism in the south" We find it very offensive .....
Most of the schools with the biggest problems with this are largely transplant schools where the parents are from the Midwest and Northeast. They have an issue with our county-wide school systems in North Carolina that make self segregation more difficult. They are also usually the biggest proponents of breaking off and creating separate school districts from more urban areas (i.e. a Ballantyne school district with no threat of students from [insert area] being able to transfer to Ardrey Kell).

Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Most of the schools with the biggest problems with this are largely transplant schools where the parents are from the Midwest and Northeast. They have an issue with our county-wide school systems in North Carolina that make self segregation more difficult. They are also usually the biggest proponents of breaking off and creating separate school districts from more urban areas (i.e. a Ballantyne school district with no threat of students from [insert area] being able to transfer to Ardrey Kell).

Bingo. The Civil Rights Act was drafted in a way to force 'racist' southerners to integrate without making the 'progressive' white democrats up north desegregate. Individual school districts for smaller towns is how the Northern Democrats were able to keep their segregated schools despite the law. If county wide school districts had been required and real integration was forced up North, the Civil Rights Act wouldn't of had a chance.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 AM

571 posts, read 547,597 times
I am glad to see that people are starting to realize that this kind of manipulation is alive and well. My family in Boston (north shore) are always willing to contribute to "progressive" causes in an effort to keep the "undesirables" out of the towns and areas. I believe most will agree that racism is much more prevalent in the north than in the south. The south is and always has been the scapegoat.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:40 PM

334 posts, read 290,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
I’m new to CLT. This is NOT normal or acceptable where I’m from. I’m simply asking if this is normal in CLT.

Is it the norm? No.

It's normal among some economically advantaged whites.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:13 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
Please help me navigate this, I’m new to Charlotte.

Another member posted this Instagram feed @blackatprovidneceday-I was shocked an appalled to see this thread.
https://www.instagram.com/blackatpro...g_jo0PbA-kf6f8

Highlights: students as young as tk/pk tell black students they can’t be their friends just because they are black. (Clearly taught at home.)

Parents outraged that a book written by Barack Obama was mandatory reading. (It was then removed from the mandatory list due to the outrage.) Why? On what basis?

Lots of use of the n-word in school with no consequences.

I started doing some digging and found out that there are the same type of Instagram feeds for
Blackatcountryday, blackatcls, blackatmarvin, blackatweddington, blackatcharlottechristian.

Is this type of racist behavior PERVASIVE in Charlotte? Are the private schools worse than the public schools?
I attended Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic school. I'm currently 40 years old, so my testimony is dated by nearly 30 years. During my time in Catholic School, I was called the N-word by a white male classmate. A physical education teacher (also the basketball coach) told me once to "get your ugly face out of that window boy". He was also a white male. When my mother brought up her concerns about bigotry to one of the teachers, that particular teacher gave me the word "bigot" to spell during the spelling bee (an obvious cheap shot at my mother). Another teacher called me "stupid" in front of the entire class (by then, I was sick of the nonsense and I called that teacher an "anorexic crack rat" out of anger). I received in-school suspension and that teacher received nothing.

Could this mess still be going on in present-day Charlotte? Absolutely! Is Charlotte worse than the rest of the Nation? Not at all. This is America, and by now ALL should know that this Nation still hasn't healed properly from slavery.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 AM

607 posts, read 554,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I attended Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic school. I'm currently 40 years old, so my testimony is dated by nearly 30 years. During my time in Catholic School, I was called the N-word by a white male classmate. A physical education teacher (also the basketball coach) told me once to "get your ugly face out of that window boy". He was also a white male. When my mother brought up her concerns about bigotry to one of the teachers, that particular teacher gave me the word "bigot" to spell during the spelling bee (an obvious cheap shot at my mother). Another teacher called me "stupid" in front of the entire class (by then, I was sick of the nonsense and I called that teacher an "anorexic crack rat" out of anger). I received in-school suspension and that teacher received nothing.

Could this mess still be going on in present-day Charlotte? Absolutely! Is Charlotte worse than the rest of the Nation? Not at all. This is America, and by now ALL should know that this Nation still hasn't healed properly from slavery.
That's bull****. If you attribute every mean thing done to you as the result of racism then you'll believe racism is everywhere, on the contrary it's almost nowhere. It's so uncommon that people need to make it up to create controversy (Jussie Smollett, Bubba Wallace and innumerable other instances).

Furthermore someone calling you the n-word doesn't necessary mean it was racism. In the same way schoolyard bullies calling someone "short" "nerdy" "ginger" "white boy" doesn't mean they HATE short people, studious people, red heads, or whites...it's simply intended to get under your skin and is not necessarily indicative of bigotry.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:57 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Furthermore someone calling you the n-word doesn't necessary mean it was racism. In the same way schoolyard bullies calling someone "short" "nerdy" "ginger" "white boy" doesn't mean they HATE short people, studious people, red heads, or whites...it's simply intended to get under your skin and is not necessarily indicative of bigotry.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:21 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
That's bull****. If you attribute every mean thing done to you as the result of racism then you'll believe racism is everywhere, on the contrary it's almost nowhere. It's so uncommon that people need to make it up to create controversy (Jussie Smollett, Bubba Wallace and innumerable other instances).

And it's THIS type of attitude that has caused global protests about the mistreatment of blacks. Clearly, we've still got a lot of work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte