Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 AM

21 posts, read 33,081 times

Advertisements

Early 40's empty nesters possibly relocating from Cincinnati to Charlotte for a job at Honeywell in Ft. Mill. Looking for the best neighborhoods close to food, bars, music, etc. Anything like that in Charlotte? Not into Nascar or cookie cutter Mcmansions.

cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,397,248 times
A little more information would be helpful. Budget? How far are you willing to commute? House? Condo? Does "close" mean walkable?

The general answer to your question is Uptown, Southend, NODA, Plaza Midwood, Southpark, Madison Park, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Dilworth.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 33,081 times
Sorry. $500K budget. Wife loves craftsman style homes with character. I'm good with 30-40 min commute. I have read good things about NODA and Plaza Midwood and plan on visiting both in the coming weeks. My impression of these neighborhoods is that they are somewhat walkable, with a variety of restaurants/bars/shops, etc.. I don't know anything about Southpark, Madison Park, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Dilworth, Uptown or Southend, but will certainly do some reading.

thanks!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,075,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms0104 View Post
Sorry. $500K budget. Wife loves craftsman style homes with character. I'm good with 30-40 min commute. I have read good things about NODA and Plaza Midwood and plan on visiting both in the coming weeks. My impression of these neighborhoods is that they are somewhat walkable, with a variety of restaurants/bars/shops, etc.. I don't know anything about Southpark, Madison Park, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Dilworth, Uptown or Southend, but will certainly do some reading.

thanks!
I encourage you to look into Chantilly and Plaza Midwood. There are some great craftsman style homes and the central location is wonderful.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 AM

777 posts, read 2,571,335 times
FYI - Before moving to Southend/Noda or anywhere north of Tyvola/Fairview...do a couple of rush hour drives from Ft Mill to Southend. Your 30-40min commute on paper could be a lot longer.

While the area listed above are spot on for great places for empty nesters, traffic from Honeywell to those areas can take well into an hour at rush hour.

I would look more established south charlotte type areas such as Montibello, Rea Woods, Cottonwood, Chadwyck, etc. You aren't going to have the nightlife variety of a southend but you would have a 30min commute vs an hour+. Not an empty nester but I live walking distance to Colony Place shopping center. Has a bar (The Lodge), mexican, pizza, greek, Dunkin, asian, grocery store etc. A few miles to the Arboretum and Stonecrest to plenty of restaurants. Everything I need within 2.5 miles. If I need to see a show, grab an Uber go uptown/southend/noda and sit in traffic once a week instead of 5x a week. Only thing I really miss on the southside is we have no breweries.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 15,657 times
I live in Dilworth and it's very walkable.
And no cookie cutter McMansions.
Very charming give it some consideration.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 AM

13 posts, read 18,520 times
West Charlotte is nice

Old 11-24-2015, 04:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,369,058 times
Yeah I think Dilworth might be he best bet to meet most of the criteria - proximity to entertainment, the types of homes mentioned, not a terrible commute to SC. Although doing a very brief search it looks like $500k might be on the low end for a house.

As a side note, I was always under the impression that places like SouthEnd, NoDa and Plaza Midwood in particular were more of a younger crowd. Not that that's a bad thing since younger people are also attracted to living near bars and restaurants, and I'm sure there are empty nesters there as well.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,075,238 times
Move-in ready homes are not easy to find in Dilworth for 500k. Which is crazy, but true.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,369,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Move-in ready homes are not easy to find in Dilworth for 500k. Which is crazy, but true.

OP didn't say anything about move-in ready :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte