Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 04:51 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Please relax. It's not a big deal, and nobody is jealous of The Charlotte. It was a simple question asked by a RN looking for a job. Nothing more. No hidden agendas.
Within 3 hours of Charlotte, there's Charleston, the Triad, the Triangle, Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Asheville, Johnson City, Augusta, and the Northeast Suburbs of Atlanta. Out of all of these areas, why on Earth are people trying to send an OP to the Triangle for an RN job?

Or to put it another way; do people really think that a metro of 2.7 million (Charlotte) can't offer an RN job that a metro of 2.1 million (Raleigh Durham) can? And again, why not point this OP to the Northeast Suburbs of Atlanta? There are PLENTY of good paying RN Jobs there. Why not Johnson City TN? The VA Hospital there have contracted PAs earning $80/hour; so I'm certain that an RN can earn at least $30/hr there. Augusta also has a VA hospital (as does Salisbury and Charlotte).

Whether there is an agenda or not; it seems awfully weird that the most active metro on City data is Raleigh Durham when in reality, the Triangle isn't even America's number 1 relocation destination (several cities in Texas holds that title). So why not point the OP to a job in Austin?

In closing, YES there are great paying RN Jobs in the Triangle. However, if our OP is going to look at Jobs nearly 3 hours away from Charlotte; I'd highly suggest metro Atlanta (you know, a market that's actually larger than Charlotte). Just my two pennies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 04:04 PM

405 posts, read 317,456 times
High quality hospitals and good public schools seemed to be particularly important to the OP, thus the reason for suggesting the Triangle as a potential option to consider. The OP asked several questions unrelated to RN salaries. No doubt that the OP could find a job in any of the other areas that you mentioned.

The Triangle has the best public school system in the state, which would certainly give the OP more options in terms of where to purchase a home. One can buy a home in a lower priced area and still attend a high quality public school.

The Triangle area is home to two highly rated medical schools (per the US News & World Report national rankings) and three highly rated hospital systems, which might offer more quality job options. Generally speaking, VA hospitals have a poor reputation and some have high employee turnover.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
High quality hospitals and good public schools seemed to be particularly important to the OP, thus the reason for suggesting the Triangle as a potential option to consider. The OP asked several questions unrelated to RN salaries. No doubt that the OP could find a job in any of the other areas that you mentioned.

The Triangle has the best public school system in the state, which would certainly give the OP more options in terms of where to purchase a home. One can buy a home in a lower priced area and still attend a high quality public school.

The Triangle area is home to two highly rated medical schools (per the US News & World Report national rankings) and three highly rated hospital systems, which might offer more quality job options. Generally speaking, VA hospitals have a poor reputation and some have high employee turnover.
I think you totally missed the point. Why advertise an area that's 3 hours away from Charlotte other than metro Atlanta? Furthermore, the bigger issue here is what typically happens in real life when people try to sway folks from Charlotte to the Triangle. These folks (who were set on Charlotte) visit the Triangle, are underwhelmed by what they saw in the Triangle, and then they post youtube videos about their experience. On the other extreme, they move to the Triangle due to the universities, "evolve" into a different "flavor", and then leave Raleigh for Charlotte (and posts youtube videos about their journey). It happens a lot. If you're going to educate our OP about the Triangle vs Charlotte, at least keep it real, objective, and honest.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 911 times
Default Some helpful info

Not sure if this will help but check out my video on pros and cons of living in Charlotte.

[url]https://youtu.be/ClnjGbM52Kc[/url]

Best wishes!

Old 11-09-2020, 03:22 PM

[quote=urbancharlotte;59632329]I think you totally missed the point. Why advertise an area that's 3 hours away from Charlotte other than metro Atlanta? Furthermore, the bigger issue here is what typically happens in real life when people try to sway folks from Charlotte to the Triangle. These folks (who were set on Charlotte) visit the Triangle, are underwhelmed by what they saw in the Triangle, and then they post youtube videos about their experience. On the other extreme, they move to the Triangle due to the universities, "evolve" into a different "flavor", and then leave Raleigh for Charlotte (and posts youtube videos about their journey). It happens a lot. If you're going to educate our OP about the Triangle vs Charlotte, at least keep it real, objective, and honest.

My comments pertained only to the specific type of job the OP was looking for, and they were a follow up to what another person had commented on, in terms of health care jobs in this area. It was never intended to be a "Charlotte vs Raleigh" discussion.

For what it's worth, I lived in Charlotte previously, and I know the city well. I like it, and certainly hold no grudge against it. Truth is, both the Triangle and Charlotte are both among the fastest growing metros in the country. The Triangle has a national reputation in Health Care and Life Sciences, which might prompt some folks to at least look at the area if they are looking for work in those fields. That was my point.

I apologize to you if I offended you in any manner, as that was not my intent.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM

It's not anything to be offended about friend. I just know that the ONLY place I'd point an OP to over Charlotte (that's within 4 hours of Charlotte) would be Atlanta. The whole Charlotte vs the Triangle thing is so weird (especially in 2020).

Old 11-09-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It's not anything to be offended about friend. I just know that the ONLY place I'd point an OP to over Charlotte (that's within 4 hours of Charlotte) would be Atlanta. The whole Charlotte vs the Triangle thing is so weird (especially in 2020).
Thanks. The you-tube examples were a hoot. I assume that these folks attended Duke Medical school. LOL.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:12 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,134 times
I received my nursing education in Charlotte. Novant has a rep for taking better care of their nurses than Atrium. Better benefits also.

Personally, I’d choose Raleigh over Charlotte. More hospitals to work at force many to be more competitive in attracting and retaining staff. Last time I checked, they pay a little more in the Triangle.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 19,574 times
Default Novant or Atrium?

[quote=gemstone1;59358719] on line.

"What's the best hospital system, why?" Basically there are two, Novant and Atrium (Carolinas Medical Center).

I have worked for a small hospital, as SECURITY, in the Emergency Department, for 5+ years. Are both hospitals (Novant and Atrium) "TRAUMA" hospitals (meaning they take the worst - most life-threatening gunshot wounds, motor vehicle accidents, etc)?

Does one hospital have a better reputation than the other?

Where is the nearest VETERAN's Hospital?

Old 05-02-2023, 10:32 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
[quote=David S. - Austin;65226382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
on line.

"What's the best hospital system, why?" Basically there are two, Novant and Atrium (Carolinas Medical Center).

I have worked for a small hospital, as SECURITY, in the Emergency Department, for 5+ years. Are both hospitals (Novant and Atrium) "TRAUMA" hospitals (meaning they take the worst - most life-threatening gunshot wounds, motor vehicle accidents, etc)?

Does one hospital have a better reputation than the other?

Where is the nearest VETERAN's Hospital?
Novant and Atrium affiliated hospitals dominate Mecklenburg County and are the largest in the area, but there are other hospitals in the suburban counties:

Piedmont Medical Center (Rock Hill / York County area)
Caromont Medical Center (Gaston County area)
MUSC Health Lancaster (Lancaster, SC area)
Iredell Health System (Iredell County / Statesville)
Lake Norman Regional Medical Center (Mooresville)

For trauma care:
Level 1 Trauma Hospitals:
Atrium Carolinas Medical Center
Levine Children's (Pediatrics)

Level 3 Trauma Hospitals:
Atrium Cabarrus
Atrium Cleveland
Caromont Regional
Novant Presbyterian

The VA Medical Center for our region is in Salisbury, NC. There are two clinics affiliated with the Salisbury VA Medical Center in Charlotte city limits (North and West CLT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte