Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:47 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Several people near me have the biden etc sign and BLM signs in their yards. I would never trespass and touch their signs.I do find that it is a very good place to throw trash from my car and empty dirty ash trays...lol
I can't believe someone would actually say this, but that's totally not cool. On the contrary, as much as I personally don't see where Trump supporters are coming from in supporting that particular candidate, it's still their property and 1st amendment right and I wouldn't mess with, steal, or throw litter on their signs or other paraphernalia. Littering is still a misdemeanor crime (NCGS 14-399) and you could very likely end up with a criminal charge, fine, and most likely be ordered to perform the community service of picking up trash. With so many people having cameras on their property now, there's a good chance you'd be caught too.

https://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegisla...gs_14-399.html

And not only is this kind of reaction discrediting to your fellow Trump supporters supposed (?) claim (I emphasise that it is a claim) of being against "lawlessness", as another poster articulately mentioned, it's damaging to the country's cohesion in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM

231 posts, read 213,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Agreed, but do you think this is going to end with the end of this awful year?

We've rarely been more divided politically and there's little reason to think the gap will be closed. Both sides have their issues, but one side seems far more interested in calling the other side racist, homophobic, misogynist, etc.
No, I don’t. It was a joke. We are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:11 AM

22 posts, read 22,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
If it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

How freakin' hard is that for some people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
The childishness on both sides is just depressing.

In my neighborhood someone down the street had their Trump sign stolen from their front yard. Oddly enough it ended up in the front yard of the most progressive guy in the neighborhood. I'm guessing it was the progressive guys kids winding him up as I've heard the son mock him as being a "****" previously. Of course when it was brought up that the sign was missing on the neighborhood facebook page there were plenty of Karen's pointing out "you aren't supposed to have that anyway. The HOA blah blah...." and volunteering to find it a home in their trash can.

Then leaving work on Friday I saw a young redneck kid in a pickup truck stopped at a red light pluck a Biden/Harris sign out of the median and throw it in the bed of his truck while live streaming it and giggling like a school girl. Not quite the same as stealing a sign a person chose to put on their property but, still...

This year can't end fast enough.
There's a total lack of respect, and it's demented.

I lived 6.5 miles from the Trade Center on 9/11, and when the buildings came down, no distinction was made between racial, religious, and sexual preference, lines.

You go to the grocery store, and you're among your neighbors; who wants to breed incivility among their neighbors?

"Oh yeah, that's productive."

There's a large segment of America's population that has gotten so stupid, so as to waste time engaging in purposeless arguments with their neighbors.

Brilliant.

As you said, it's childish, and it's a total lack of respect.

Martin Luther King achieved a lot by appealing to the moral sensibilities of Americans. If you want to persuade people to your line of thinking, do it by living a good life. If you fail, so what? You will only embarrass your detractors.

I dunno about the rest of y'all, but this divisive bickering has really turned me off to a lot of news and opinions; elevate the standard.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Agreed, but do you think this is going to end with the end of this awful year?
No.

People have devolved to the point of "might makes right;" that people bicker over the stupidest of things never enters into the equation.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 AM

607 posts, read 555,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryon View Post
No.

People have devolved to the point of "might makes right;" that people bicker over the stupidest of things never enters into the equation.
It starts and stops with the media (and social media).

There are an infinite amount of things that happen on any given day and we are only able to learn about a snapshot of it. That snapshot isn't necessarily representative of the world at large, and a skewed snapshot will lead to skewed conclusions about the word.

Enter Fox News/CNN/etc...they aren't looking to educate or to accurately transcribe the world...but to get more people to tune-in or click their media. Validating the pre-conceived notions on one side while demonizing the other leads to this. What might be worse is the simple OMISSION of news that their side won't like.

Social Media is to blame as well. Their models want to generate as much interaction as possible (likes, comments, shares) because it leads to advertising or marketing dollars for them. They've learned that manipulating people's news feeds to give them things they either 100% agree with or like or things they completely disagree with or hate lead to the most interactions. So they have a financial incentive to validate people's pre-conceived notions while also showing the worst of the "the other side."

I'm not saying that a Trump/Biden supporter goes nuts when they see a Biden/Trump advertisement/post but it all adds up...when you're bombarded with things that upset you it takes a toll on society.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
It starts and stops with the media (and social media).

There are an infinite amount of things that happen on any given day and we are only able to learn about a snapshot of it. That snapshot isn't necessarily representative of the world at large, and a skewed snapshot will lead to skewed conclusions about the word.

Enter Fox News/CNN/etc...they aren't looking to educate or to accurately transcribe the world...but to get more people to tune-in or click their media. Validating the pre-conceived notions on one side while demonizing the other leads to this. What might be worse is the simple OMISSION of news that their side won't like.

Social Media is to blame as well. Their models want to generate as much interaction as possible (likes, comments, shares) because it leads to advertising or marketing dollars for them. They've learned that manipulating people's news feeds to give them things they either 100% agree with or like or things they completely disagree with or hate lead to the most interactions. So they have a financial incentive to validate people's pre-conceived notions while also showing the worst of the "the other side."

I'm not saying that a Trump/Biden supporter goes nuts when they see a Biden/Trump advertisement/post but it all adds up...when you're bombarded with things that upset you it takes a toll on society.
Yours is one of the best posts that I have read all year.

Wish that I could rep you again...

Old 10-22-2020, 02:00 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,421,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryon View Post
I don't share in your opinion; there's no excuse for disrespect.

And what's happening is that this is escalating, with each 'side' ratcheting up the tension.

Don't forget that one reason behind Rome's fall came as a result of too many opinions/a lack of national cohesion.

American's downfall will be the same.
And with Rome they lost all control of their borders. Any one with any purpose could easily come in...

Old 10-23-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
And with Rome they lost all control of their borders. Any one with any purpose could easily come in...
That may be true, but I say respectfully: animosity between people has reached a fever pitch, and it isn't helpful. It's quite insidious, actually...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte