Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 9,473 times

Advertisements

This is our assigned neighborhood school and wondering what is going on that it is rated a 4 when the other schools that feed into providence high school are doing much better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 09:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
It explains it on their website:

"Students at this school are making far less academic progress given where they were last year, compared to similar students in the state.

Very low progress with high test scores means students have strong academic skills but that students in this school are making smaller gains than similar students in other schools."

"Disadvantaged students at this school may be falling behind other students in the state, and this school may have significant achievement gaps."

Old 10-17-2020, 04:34 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
I suggest you forego the extremely subjective and often biased reports in "Great Schools." And use the North Carolina Dept of Instruction web site to look at school score cards. Even though these are based on standardized test, and we all "know" those are not the only thing that matters, there is no opinion present.

Here is a link to your school's grades on the DPI "Report Card" site:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2019&lng=en

You will see the school is doing better than CMS and State average, and in the very recent past they were doing really well.

I am the absolute last person to defend CMS, but I always steer people to the DPI site.

The state, for reasons I will keep to myself, values "growth" over "scores." High performing schools are really penalized by a broad brush stroke such as this. Here's how it works: School A is performing at 45% and school B is performing at 87%. Next year, School A increases it percent to 58, while School B goes up to 87%. Which school has the highest growth.Where would you rather have your kid, school A or B?

I taught at a very high performing school as my 3d career for 10 years. Parents used to be stunned by our lack of growth. I had countless "urgent meetings" with parents over "growth." My example was simple. I run a yard service. I hire you, with the expectation of you moving 10 wheelbarrows a day. Day one, you move 2. Day two you move 4. Hey, great growth, and on Day 3 you move 7, more growth. Day 4, you are fired.

Last edited by LLN; 10-17-2020 at 04:42 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 07:40 PM

10 posts, read 9,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I suggest you forego the extremely subjective and often biased reports in "Great Schools." And use the North Carolina Dept of Instruction web site to look at school score cards. Even though these are based on standardized test, and we all "know" those are not the only thing that matters, there is no opinion present.

Here is a link to your school's grades on the DPI "Report Card" site:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2019&lng=en

You will see the school is doing better than CMS and State average, and in the very recent past they were doing really well.

I am the absolute last person to defend CMS, but I always steer people to the DPI site.

The state, for reasons I will keep to myself, values "growth" over "scores." High performing schools are really penalized by a broad brush stroke such as this. Here's how it works: School A is performing at 45% and school B is performing at 87%. Next year, School A increases it percent to 58, while School B goes up to 87%. Which school has the highest growth.Where would you rather have your kid, school A or B?

I taught at a very high performing school as my 3d career for 10 years. Parents used to be stunned by our lack of growth. I had countless "urgent meetings" with parents over "growth." My example was simple. I run a yard service. I hire you, with the expectation of you moving 10 wheelbarrows a day. Day one, you move 2. Day two you move 4. Hey, great growth, and on Day 3 you move 7, more growth. Day 4, you are fired.
Thank you for this information. We did look at the NC report card but was still confused as schools like Olde Providence and Providence Springs near us are have high test scores and better growth. I did not look through past year performance so that might be the next thing to analyze. This also concerns me for property values as people do look at the great school ratings when considering putting an offer into a home.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:14 PM

335 posts, read 428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowtothemoon View Post
Thank you for this information. We did look at the NC report card but was still confused as schools like Olde Providence and Providence Springs near us are have high test scores and better growth. I did not look through past year performance so that might be the next thing to analyze. This also concerns me for property values as people do look at the great school ratings when considering putting an offer into a home.
I won’t speak for the school’s yearly growth. But EL consistently scores well above average on test scores and aptitude and is in an affluent area with involved parents and tons of active families.
As far as home value goes, the area is extremely desirable, all of the good listings through there are going quickly for above asking price, consistently. It is a safe investment. Nobody can tell what the market is going to do six months down the road, but that schools score is not negatively affecting home prices in the vicinity.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowtothemoon View Post
People down here have gotten used to not checking greatschools, which is very unreliable. For example, last year GreatSchools had Elizabeth Lane ranked a 9/10 and Olde Providence a 6/10 and Providence Springs a 7/10. Then they change methods again and everything changes. They've changed methodologies every year so nobody can keep up with what their scores actually mean. How can a school be a 4/10, 9/10, 6/10, 8/10, et... all in a couple years? Its essentially a worthless score.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:23 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,815 times
Elizabeth Lane is one of the best schools in Charlotte, period.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 15,304 times
Did ELizabeth Lane have a redistrict? That could be a possible reason.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
When looking to purchase a home, most people only consider the high school ratings since it is only one that really matters.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
Elizabeth Lane is one of the best schools in Charlotte, period.
Is it though?

Even according to the link posted by LLN, it scored an 80 on the NC School Report Card. Just among traditional CMS Elementary Schools, the below scored higher (and not sure if I missed any):

Providence Spring 91
Polo Ridge 87
Bain 86
Hawk Ridge 86
McKee Road 85
Grand Oak 84
Davidson 83
Beverly Woods 82

So would still be top 10 based on the Overall Performance Grade, although I guess 3 of those (Bain, Grand Oak and Davidson) are not technically in Charlotte.

Although Elizabeth Lane had been higher particularly in 2015-2017 where it scored 87-88, but dropped to 83 in 2018 and 80 in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte