Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 15,410 times

Advertisements

Tips:

If you are moving to Charlotte because you think it will be dirt cheap, look at neighborhoods and apartments you would actually live in to check your numbers. It’s not as inexpensive as most people think.

You are young and Charlotte is a bit sleepy. I would have found it super boring at 24. Is this really where you want to be?

I find Pineville, NC a bit sketchy. Maybe it is just me, but certainly visit.

The beauty of living in a college town, and Massachusetts in general, is that they welcome students from all around the world and all sorts of backgrounds every single year. There are SO MANY different types of people. In Charlotte, there are lots of lifers, bankers and doctors.

Look at a map of how counties voted last week in MA and then look at the same for NC. You are moving from an almost entirely blue state to an almost entirely red state. Interpret this as you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,295,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiaYoda View Post
Tips:

If you are moving to Charlotte because you think it will be dirt cheap, look at neighborhoods and apartments you would actually live in to check your numbers. It’s not as inexpensive as most people think.

You are young and Charlotte is a bit sleepy. I would have found it super boring at 24. Is this really where you want to be?

I find Pineville, NC a bit sketchy. Maybe it is just me, but certainly visit.

The beauty of living in a college town, and Massachusetts in general, is that they welcome students from all around the world and all sorts of backgrounds every single year. There are SO MANY different types of people. In Charlotte, there are lots of lifers, bankers and doctors.

Look at a map of how counties voted last week in MA and then look at the same for NC. You are moving from an almost entirely blue state to an almost entirely red state. Interpret this as you see fit.
Well, as fate would have it, the current project I work on is near Amherst (where I stay). So, it's back and forth between Western MA and NC. Though much beyond my collegiate years, Amherst is extremely slow...it's like Chapel Hill without the Raleigh and Durham piece. And Worcester reminds me a bit of Greensboro without the rest of the Triad...it is slow. In my world (professional working adult), NC (urban centers) are light years ahead in diversity however I can't speak to the current college campus environment. Boston really lacks in this category as well but in general, most college campuses (US) have much more of an international or diverse flavor.

I don't find MA/NH/CT and surrounding area to be very exciting or vibrant, though has really nice terrain, picturesque landscape and great people. Not when comparing to NC metros that are booming and infused by a diverse range of professionals. Here is the other thing that caught me off guard...it is extremely EXPENSIVE, even the rural areas with a very small selection of housing stock. For instance, in rural to semi-rural MA decent apartment prices (studio/1BR) can range from $1500 to $2500 per month. Essentially what you'd pay in Southend, Noda or Center City Charlotte. Trust, there is no comparison to vibrancy levels.

I do agree that MA in general is very liberal. As I travel the MA/NH countryside to perform certain project activity, yards are littered with Biden/Harris signs and believe it not, Black Lives Matter signs...and I know Black people do not live in these areas.

To the OP, you will be fine in NC but will need to find your groove living in a new place like anywhere else. Nothing against that area as I head back in a week or so for another lengthy project stay, you will not look back once you find your groove in NC. The positives totally outweigh the negatives relocating to the Charlotte area. Again, nothing against MA and understand why people enjoy living there especially with family and friends in the area....but here's my recommendation, if you've secured a solid career opportunity in NC, do it.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 AM

2,488 posts, read 1,435,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allea View Post
I'm currently living in Worcester, Massachusetts, and as an alternative to being laid off due to covid, my job is offering to relocate me to a firm in Pineville, NC. This comes with similar pay to what I have now, but taking into account a lower cost of living in Charlotte, I would essentially make more.

As a very liberal Hispanic atheist lesbian with OCD, born and raised in New Hampshire to two gay dads, I am hesitant to move to the South. However, I hear good things about Charlotte, and I'm wondering whether I can find a community here where I can fit in and feel accepted.

What areas would you recommend that I live in? My budget is somewhere around $1200 for a studio or 1 br.

Notes:
I'm single, no kids, 24, working in administration, bachelor's from Bennington College. Looking to live here for a few years and then go get my master's.
Maybe we here IN THE SOUTH are HESITANT to welcome people like you from the NORTH....How does that sound?

Old 11-16-2020, 10:47 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Maybe we here IN THE SOUTH are HESITANT to welcome people like you from the NORTH....How does that sound?
What does this mean?

OP, please ignore this nonsense. Nobody speaks for everybody in the south.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:11 AM

356 posts, read 373,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allea View Post
I'm currently living in Worcester, Massachusetts, and as an alternative to being laid off due to covid, my job is offering to relocate me to a firm in Pineville, NC. This comes with similar pay to what I have now, but taking into account a lower cost of living in Charlotte, I would essentially make more.

As a very liberal Hispanic atheist lesbian with OCD, born and raised in New Hampshire to two gay dads, I am hesitant to move to the South. However, I hear good things about Charlotte, and I'm wondering whether I can find a community here where I can fit in and feel accepted.

What areas would you recommend that I live in? My budget is somewhere around $1200 for a studio or 1 br.

Notes:
I'm single, no kids, 24, working in administration, bachelor's from Bennington College. Looking to live here for a few years and then go get my master's.
Boy do you like your labels! Sounds like you are already making a lot of assumptions about NC.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:15 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Well, as fate would have it, the current project I work on is near Amherst (where I stay). So, it's back and forth between Western MA and NC. Though much beyond my collegiate years, Amherst is extremely slow...it's like Chapel Hill without the Raleigh and Durham piece. And Worcester reminds me a bit of Greensboro without the rest of the Triad...it is slow. In my world (professional working adult), NC (urban centers) are light years ahead in diversity however I can't speak to the current college campus environment. Boston really lacks in this category as well but in general, most college campuses (US) have much more of an international or diverse flavor.

I don't find MA/NH/CT and surrounding area to be very exciting or vibrant, though has really nice terrain, picturesque landscape and great people. Not when comparing to NC metros that are booming and infused by a diverse range of professionals. Here is the other thing that caught me off guard...it is extremely EXPENSIVE, even the rural areas with a very small selection of housing stock. For instance, in rural to semi-rural MA decent apartment prices (studio/1BR) can range from $1500 to $2500 per month. Essentially what you'd pay in Southend, Noda or Center City Charlotte. Trust, there is no comparison to vibrancy levels.

I do agree that MA in general is very liberal. As I travel the MA/NH countryside to perform certain project activity, yards are littered with Biden/Harris signs and believe it not, Black Lives Matter signs...and I know Black people do not live in these areas.

To the OP, you will be fine in NC but will need to find your groove living in a new place like anywhere else. Nothing against that area as I head back in a week or so for another lengthy project stay, you will not look back once you find your groove in NC. The positives totally outweigh the negatives relocating to the Charlotte area. Again, nothing against MA and understand why people enjoy living there especially with family and friends in the area....but here's my recommendation, if you've secured a solid career opportunity in NC, do it.
This is spot on.^^^^^^^ As one who was born and raised in Massachusetts and who attended college in the area mentioned I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,378,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Also Lived in NH also atheist. You’ll have a bit a of shock at first as we all do in a New area. We flipped back and forth back and forth if we were going back to New England or not. We had to finally admit things are going too good here and we’ve really found out niche in the last 6-8 months. Now we’re building a home. . Charlotte is smaller but it’s very blue. You won’t have issues. If you’re making Mass $ I’d check out south end/Myers Park area.
Well if this isn't an endorsement for Charlotte I don't know what is. This poster has been ragging on Charlotte for years and yet now all of the sudden is building a home and even recommending Charlotte to other people...

But anyway, in terms of the OP it also depends on what else you're looking for in an area. Places like NoDa and SouthEnd are great for walkable bars/restaurants but I would say that NoDa probably wouldn't be an ideal commute once people start commuting again. SouthEnd IMO seems to be more of the fresh out of college crowd, but you could also look a little further south to Dilworth, Myers Park or Madison Park/Montford.

Even Pineville itself is worth looking into, or if you're looking for more of a suburb (while still having some diversity), Fort Mill or the Ballantyne area could be worth looking into as well.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:56 AM

2,488 posts, read 1,435,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Boy do you like your labels! Sounds like you are already making a lot of assumptions about NC.
Yes and they dont seem to know just how offensive it is for northerners and others to come here and immediately bring up negative racial and cultural differences in a negative way.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:54 PM

3,651 posts, read 4,524,209 times
"The South" doesn't care about your labels like The North does. Live and let live is the attitude of most residents. There are tons of atheists, lgbtqia, liberals, hispanics, etc etc etc. Just be a good, nice person - don't be your labels, and you'll fit in well. This ain't the North where people worship the ground gay people or walk on. I spent a lot of time in Mass in 2017 and 2018 for work (Boston and Cambridge) and the obsession with gay and trans people there was so bizarre to me. Very forced and not organic.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:50 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Yes and they dont seem to know just how offensive it is for northerners and others to come here and immediately bring up negative racial and cultural differences in a negative way.
Are your feelings hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte